Save the Last Dance

Un

TJ groaned for the umpteenth time that evening as the salsa music continued to play around him. Bodies shifted left and right, stepping, swaying, twirling and laughing as he sat alone at his table. The bride and groom were in each other’s arms, smiles on their faces, moving their bodies to the rhythm of the song.
Jonathan Toews spun his new bride in circles making her giggle girlishly and smile at him with adoring eyes. TJ’s tie was beginning to get a little too tight around his neck and his slacks became uncomfortable hours ago, but of course, there was no leaving his best friend’s wedding. He had accumulated a pile of wedding confetti in the shape of a ‘T’ by his plate as he watched the dance floor become even more crowded. He sighed once again as he scanned the crowed for her. If anything was keeping TJ at the wedding, it was the woman in the red dress swaying her hips seductively to the salsa music in the middle of the dance floor. He glanced down at his watch; she had started dancing about an hour ago and had danced with several men, much to his displeasure.

“Dance with me Teej,” She pleaded pulling his arm with no avail.

“You know I can’t dance Delyia,” He frowned “Go and have your fun.”

“Its okay, I’ll teach you.” She smiled sweetly making the hockey player’s insides churn.

“May I?” Patrick Burglund asked making Delyia smile and nod her head. She placed her hand in his and he led her to the dance floor.


Now a whole hour later, she still is going strong, dancing with defenseman Erik Johnson, to the seductive Spanish dance. The song suddenly changed and some upbeat pop song, unfamiliar to TJ came on making all the girls squeal and gather in the middle of the dance floor. Rolling his eyes TJ lifted his empty champagne flute calling over a waiter who promptly filled it for him.
Looking up he noticed his red bombshell was not on the dance floor any longer. His eyes scanned the large ballroom in a panic looking for his vivacious brunette. He spotted her at the bar ordering a drink while a Chicago Blackhawk shamelessly flirted with her. Grumbling TJ stood from his seat champagne glass in hand, and sauntered over to the bar, taking the empty seat beside Delyia.

“So, if you’re alone,” The Blackhawk stated “I would love to take you home,” He offered with a Cheshire cat grin. Delyia smiled at the hockey player and turned to TJ laying a hand on his thigh.

"Actually-" TJ gruffly interjected.

“Sorry Kris,” She winked at TJ then looked back at Kris Versteeg “I have an escort tonight.”

“I see,” Kris said furrowing his eyebrows looking at TJ, “Well than can I at least have a dance with the best dancer in the room?”

“You certainly may,” She laughed pecking TJ cheek before hopping off the barstool and back to the dance floor with Kris. TJ moved quickly catching her arm spinning her back to him, planting his lips on her ear.

“Don’t forget whose taking you home, and in whose arms you’re gonna be. Save the last dance for me, okay baby?” He huskily whispered making the young woman shiver.

“You got it.” She smiled then rejoined Kris as a Justin Beiber song continued to play.

Rolling his eyes TJ ran a hand trough his blond locks and downed his champagne in one gulp. His eyes were on Delyia and how dangerously Versteeg’s hands were placed on her back. She was lost in the music swaying her hips and moving her arms gracefully to the beat, while Versteeg’s eyes were lost on her body.

One wrong move,TJ thought, and I am killing him.
He hated that she got passes along from man to man like a toy, dancing in someone’s arms before another scooped her away. He hated himself for having two left feet with the dancing skills of a blind giraffe. Yet he could not say no to her, he could not tell her to stop, the art of dance was in her blood. Every move she made sent TJ into frenzy and jealously boiled in his heart. He spent the entire night watching his woman dance with every guy who ‘gave her the eye’; and he was at his wits end.

The music slowly died down and Jonathan Toews grabbed the mic and said a quick thanks to all who came, and how he would love to move on to his honeymoon. The crowd laughed and the dance floor was soon evacuated as a cleanup crew began their duties.

Friends said their goodbyes and parted ways. Soon there were only a few people left in the grand room. Delyia headed back to her table checking her phone for messages then quickly placing it back into her clutch. She pursed her lips when she realized her boyfriend was nowhere in sight.
She then glanced at the dance floor and there he was; in all his glory waiting in the middle. His hair was tousled and his tie loose around his neck and slanting to the side. Laughing, she strolled over to the hockey player who awaited her anxiously.

“Hello Mr.Oshie,” She greeted him straightening his tie.

“Hello Miss,” He nodded stretching out his hand “May I have this dance?”

“Teej, there’s no music,” She giggled. TJ turned his head to the side where the DJ’s booth was located nodding at the man. Michael Buble’s song Save the Last Dance filled the empty room making Delyia smile. “Okay then,” she laughed taking his hand.

“You have been driving me absolutely crazy woman,” He mumbled into her hair as they simply rocked to the music.

“Oh?” The woman inquired “How so my love?”

“I have spent the entire evening watching almost every man in the room dance with you,” TJ explained with a huff.

“Oh TJ,” Delyia giggled pulling back and looking into his soft eyes. “Why didn’t you tell me it upset you that much?”

Baby don’t you know I love you so,” He smiled poking her nose with his finger, “Can’t you feel it when we touch,” He sang along to the words of the song, “I will never ever let you go, I love you oh so much.”

“I can’t believe you know this song.” She laughed kissing his cheek. He laced his arms around her pulling her to his body and she wrapped her own arms around his think neck pulling him in for a kiss. As the song picked up-tempo so did her hips.

“Watch it girl,” TJ mumbled against her pick flesh placing his large hands on her hips, steadying them. She smiled devilishly grinding them more into his. “Delyia,” He warned making her burst out in giggles.

“I love you Teej,” She laughed cupping his cheek in her hand. “You know I only like dancing with you.”

“Even though I can’t dance,” He scoffed.

“You’re not nearly as bad as Patrick Kane,” She laughed “I'm gonna have sore toes from
that boy.”

TJ smiled at her perfect lips and the way the corners pulled into the most beautiful grin. Her green eyes twinkled in the dim light of the ballroom and her dainty fingers playfully tugged at the curls at the nape of his neck. No matter who she danced with, the only thing that mattered was that the last dance was his, and he was the once she would be going home with.
♠ ♠ ♠
hope you like it.wish me luck!