Status: Coming along :)

Childhood Summers and Ring Pops

Get The Party Started

Main Street was a humongous sea of red and white as the whole region of Quebec seemed to be jam packed onto the narrow sidewalk, all sporting proudly either the Blackhawks or the Hockey Canada logo upon their chests and heads.The whole street was boarded off in order to let the float carrying the Holy Grail pass freely through the town. Hours before the actual parade, the party was in full blast, with beer cans and champagne flutes among the crowd. This was the biggest event Saint-Marie had ever seen.

And Jan was a part of it.

She walked along the back streets, occasionally catching a glimpse of the huge crowd massed against the protective gates through the perpendicular streets, hugging her jersey-clad body in excitement. Upon hearing that Jonathan had officially invited her to the parade, Melissa had gladly forked over half the money needed for her friend to buy an official Toews jersey, which Jan thought she should've paid for herself. Yet, she was secretly grateful of her friend's contribution when the cash register summed up the price. Who knew official gear was so expensive?

When Jonathan had first told her he wanted her to be at the parade, she believed that her place would be among the other fans, a tiny spot on the sidewalk to watch him and his friend - Patrick, she remembered - pass with the most important trophy of their careers. But he quickly clarified: he wanted her on the float with him. She had argued vehemently, saying that as much as she was proud of him and everything, there was no way she'd pass in front of the mass of fans, her that already felt awkward not knowing anything about... well, everything that was going on.

He had finally convinced her though - as they both knew he would - and this was why she was making her way to the house she had visited so many times in her youth, excitement and nervousness twisting her stomach up in knots.

'Come on Jan,' she thought as the simple blue two-story house came into view, 'there's nothing to worry about. Don't think you're going to be on a float with two star hockey players, think you're going to be with your good friend and his friend.' After all, if this Patrick was Jonathan's best friend, he had to be a nice guy, right? Who wants an asshole as a best friend?

This was only a fraction of what was spiraling through her mind as she knocked on the front door.

"Janice!" Jonathan's grandfather - Grandpa Gilbert, as she always knew him - exclaimed as he pulled the door open. "What a pleasure to see you. Come in, make yourself at home." He opened the door wider to let her in.

"You know that's exactly what I'll do." She joked, falling easily in his friendly welcome.

"No problem. I think the boys are in the basement. Why don't you join them?" He smiled, closing the door behind her.

"I will." She nodded, taking off her shoes.

The basement was relatively easy to find, as music and laughter became audible as Jan started making her was down the stairs. She clearly identified David's booming laughter, but the second one sounded unfamiliar.

She didn't have a chance to clarify that thought as she was engulfed in a bear hug as soon as she set foot on the basement floor. "Jan! I knew you'd come!" David said as his grip loosened.

"I promised I would, didn't I?" She smiled up at the younger Toews before looking around the room, her gaze settling on the other young man who very clearly wasn't Jonathan. Curly strawberry-blond hair, only slightly darker than her own shade, framed his baby face, a seemingly-permanent smile grazing his lips and his soft-blue eyes possibly reflecting my own: confused, but not unreceptive. He was dressed in a simple white shirt and jeans, a red 'Hawks jersey draped over the arm of the couch he was currently sitting on.

"So you're Janny, huh?" The stranger asked, standing up. "Jon talked about you sometimes. It's great to finally meet you." He flashed a smile at her.

Jan simply nodded, biting the corner of her lower lip. "Thanks. And you are...?"

The young man's eyes widened slightly in surprise as David burst out laughing, wrapping his arm around her shoulders and guiding her towards the couches. "I forgot you didn't follow hockey at all. Jan, this is Patrick Kane, Jonathan's teammate. He's gonna be passing a few days here with us."

"Oh!" She exclaimed, recognizing the name. "Jonathan told me about you, I just didn't realize it was you." As soon as the words left her lips, she realized how unwoven her sentence sounded and mentally kicked herself. Way to make a good first impression.

Patrick chuckled, giving her a quick once-over before pulling her into a light hug. "No problem. I just expected you to follow Jon's career I guess." He said lightly.

"Sorry it took so long guys, I was just..." Jonathan's voice came down the stairs, coming to a halt as his eyes darted between his two friends, still hugging lightly. Three pairs of eyes settled on his casually-dressed frame, his navy shirt darkening as his hair dripped softly onto his shoulders. Finally a smile appeared, addressing to the newest addition. "Hey Jan, I'm glad you came."

"I wouldn't back out on a promise now, would I?" She backed away from Patrick to wrap her arms tightly around her friend, her back to the two other boys. "Now tell me, who's going to be on the float?" She inquired, untangling herself from him and facing David and Patrick again.

"Us four." He gestured around the room at himself, her, his brother and his friend. "Plus Mom, Granny and Grandpa."

"What about your dad?" She asked, looking up at him.

Jonathan's face darkened slightly. "Change of plans. He just called, said his flight to Montreal was canceled and he doesn't have the time to drive all the way down here. It sucks, but what do you want to do?"

"Oh." David sighed. "So that's what you were doing..." He shook his head. "Whatever. It's time to leave anyway, let's get this fucking show into gear!" Pumping his fist in the air, he bounced up the stairs, his attitude completely flipping around.

"Your brother is completely bonkers." Patrick laughed, grabbing the jersey from the couch. Jan could see an eight, and what looked like either a three or another eight before it.

"Tell me about it." Jonathan grinned, making his way towards the stairs. "But he's right, we should go."

Jan and Patrick followed behind him, both stepping forward to the doorway at the same time. Patrick smiled her way. "Ladies first." he said, placing a hand on her lower back to let her pass before him. Jan was grateful he couldn't see his face, because she could feel the heat rise rapidly at his touch.

Maybe Patrick Kane was worth knowing after all.
♠ ♠ ♠
This is what happens when I write through a writer's block. Oh well. I'm just happy I finally typed it up.

We just pushed 6 stars and two pages of comments. I love you all :D

Shameless advertising: Babysitter is a new story I'm working on. Don't be afraid to check it out :)