Black Sheep

Black Sheep

Through out my life, I've always noticed that i was different from the rest of my family. My mom always said that I looked like my late grandmother, and i would always nod and smile, before changing the the subject.
As soon as I locked the door, I quickly sprinted to my parents room. Even though there was no one home, I made sure to close the bedroom door. I slowly opened the cabinet door, making sure that none of the documents or pictures spilled everywhere. Even though it probably would be obvious that I went through their stuff if I actually found something, but I'll worry about that later. After pawing through the mountains of pictures, I noticed that there were no pictures of me until I was about 4, which was a different story for my older siblings since i spotted pictures of them in the hospital bed. I finally spotted a manila envelope in the back, before pulling it out. As i flipped through the pages, it finally it me that these was adoption papers. I quickly began to scan through the documents more, trying to figure out who it was for. I knew it was a girl, so it ruled out my brother, but was it my sister or me?
My eyes went wide when I saw the name of the girl. It was my name, but with a different last name. I felt like i was in a daze, thinking my eyes were being mean and playing a trick on me. My head whipped around when I heard the front door open and close, followed by footsteps and talking in the front. Quickly slipping the documents back in the folder, I practically flew down the stairs, before spotting my mother.
"Celia, what do you want for dinner? Matt was thinking about having pizza, but Lilly said- where did you get that?" She asked, finally spotting the folder clenched in my small hands.
"Am I adopted?" I pronounced the words slowly, being almost foreign to me. When my mother didn't answer, I turned to my siblings, only to see them looking at the carpet beneath their feet.
"You knew?" I asked them, staring in disbelief. I felt betrayed; my whole life was a lie. It wasn't the fact that i was adopted, but that no one bothered to tell me.
"Is there anything else you guys aren't telling me? Is Matt actually a cross-dresser?" I sneered, throwing the folder to the ground, outraged.
"Celia, that's enough. You're being an ungrateful brat."
"This doesn't concern you Matt. You knew, you knew for God knows how long, and you never told me." I glared up at him, before turning back to my mother.
"Why didn't you tell me?"
"I actually was gonna tell you today after we got back. But obviously, you found out."
"Why were you gonna wait 13 years?"
"Celia, what does it matter, you know now."
"Just shut the fuck up Matt! I'm trying to figure out why no one bothered to tell the 17 year old in the house that she was adopted! My whole life is a lie, and you're asking me what does it matter?!" I wanted to punch him, but I was too busy seething.
"All I know is that you're being ungrateful for Mom taking you in for these many years."
"Am I just some stray to you?" I turned to him, holding back my tears already.
"No, Celia. you're too much right now-"
"Then maybe I should just leave." I saw Matt's expression go from shock, to anger.
"Fine then! Get the fuck out, and don't ever come back!" As I headed for the front door, my hand gripping the the handle, before turning around to face my family. Through the whole ordeal with me and Matt, my 'mother' was crying, Lilly looked like she wanted to say something, but never did, and Matt looked like he was about to pop a blood vessel.
"Just remember that you kicked me out; you're the one who closed the door not me. Don't come crying to me to come back home because you regret your fucking words."
♠ ♠ ♠
I'm sorry it's so bad, but the idea had been in my mind for about two years now, I just had to post this.