‹ Prequel: Lore of Anteria

Pawn of the Gods: Treasure of Gael

Chapter Thirteen

"I get to choose the Hero?" Laila asked, eyes glittering.

"Aye, most recieve the Blessing of Gael," Radek said, passing a hand over his face. Gael sniffed pointedly, turning her head away. Kasimir stared, dumbfounded. Is the man that hurt my precious Adara going to become the hero of this era? he wondered. Kasimir knew, if it was upto Laila, Uri would be chosen.

"It is in your hands now, Laila," Radek said softly.

*****
"You heard what Father said, I die, it's your head," Adara said. His hand was warm. She smiled, releasing his arm. The wind whipped his hair around his face and she reached up to push it behind his ears.

*****
Delicate she-fingers brushed his hair away from his face, his ears twitched in response to her touch. Her fingers were calloused from decades of wielding a sword. Uri captured her wrist with his long fingered grasp.

"Don't," he murmured, pushing her hand away and scooping the strands into his hands, quickly rebraiding them.

"I apologise," she said, anger dancing in her emerald eyes. "Where are we going, Uri?" Her stance was hostile and unfriendly. Uri wondered vaguely if he had made a mistake. He didn't like people doing that, it reminded him too much of his Mother. She had commited suicide after hearing that his Father was dead. Laila was suddenly there, in a flash of silver light.

"Uri Dawn, of the Fallen Wood, will you take this blade?" Laila held out a blade that wasn't quiet sword nor quiet a dagger, a luminous silver glow wrapped around it. Vanity was carved into the pommel. "By taking this blade, you become my Champion,"

Uri reached out his hand, grasping it. It was lighter then Shadow Slayer, it was quicker and it was Laila's blade.

"I am yours, Mistress Laila,"

"You are the peoples'," she said. "I HAVE A CHAMPION!" Laila yelled. It seemed like the world held it's breath. "Uri Dawn, descendent of Adarian Dawn, Heir to the throne of the Castle of Light,"

Anteria breathed again.