‹ Prequel: Lore of Anteria

Pawn of the Gods: Treasure of Gael

Chapter Two

"Rikita" Uri smiled, letting go of her hand. He plucked a book from the library shelves. "I wrote this one for you," Across the top of the cover, it read: A Shining Star, in elegant flowing script.

"Read it to me, Uri," she said, looking up at him.

"Ohho, I thought you said you could read lots of books now?" he chuckled as she pouted. "Very well, come here," he said, sitting on the floor and pulling her close. He began reading. "Once upon a time, in a land far far away..."

*****

"Zeke, you're going to have to tell him someday, or he'll find out and do something rash," Ma'iola said quietly. "He's so good with Rikita, she's only 2, 967, you know,"

"Yes, I know, on both accounts. When's her name day?" Zeke said absently. She's still a child, he thought miserbaly.

"Tomorrow. She's always so happy to see Uri," her mother smiled. "We have so few children, Zeke," Zeke nodded solemnly.

*****

"And the Dragon breathed fire from it's gaping maw," he said, looking at Rikita. She'd fallen asleep, her head nestled against his shoulder. He closed the book, setting it on the desk and picked her up. Her white hair was like silk, braided tightly and wound around her head. Her sharp-pointed ears twitched as Ma'iola slid her chair back, to take her daughter. "She fell asleep," he said, kissing Rikita's brow.

"She only sleeps with you near, Uri," Ma'iola chuckled. Uri smiled. "Zeke! Remember what we talked about! Have a pleasant Summer's Eve," Ma'iola said, as Uri opened the door for her.

"Uncle, what was she referring to?" Uri asked, picking up his forgotten book and opening it to the dog-eared page.

"It was between adults," Zeke said, cleaning the table up. Uri raised an eyebrow.

"I'm four thousand five hundred and eighty five, uncle, if I'm not an adult now, when will I be?"

"In a couple thousand years," Zeke chuckled.

Uri sighed and continued reading his book. A few pages later, his brow puckered in thought. "Uncle, who is this Ta'armi the Dark Elves are waiting for?"

"The Ta'armi or the 'Liberator' is supposedly of no race. Ta'armi is supposed to unite the world against the Gods, lead the Dark Elves out of hiding and bring peace to everyone," Zeke said, looking over his shoulder at his nephew. "And it's time for the lights to go out," Zeke snapped his fingers, extinguishing the lanterns. Uri growled, dog-eared the book, and went to bed.

Ta'armi, of no race, Uri thought, braiding his hair, before laying down. If the Ta'armi's to lead the Dark Elves out of hiding, he must at least look like one, Uri thought, rolling onto his side and closing his eyes. Sleep claimed his mind and body, pulling him into the realm of dreams.