‹ Prequel: Lore of Anteria

Pawn of the Gods: Treasure of Gael

Chapter Twenty One

Uri followed Adara to a room.

"Adara..." he said. She looked back at him.

"Yes?" she asked.

"Sleep well," he murmured, turning away.

*****
He flopped down on his own bed, staring at the ceiling. Laila, help me understand Adara. he thought miserably.

"It had better be more urgent business then just some woman trouble, Light Elf," He jumped. The Goddess sat on the foot of his bed, dark hair loose. Her clothes, if they could be called that, were translucent.

"My apologies, m'lady," he murmured. She waved it away.

"Didn't think I'd come, did you? You are my champion, though, next time I hope it's important business," she said, with a ghost of a smile.

"Yes ma'am,"

"To understand Adara, well, no man can completely understand a woman, but they sure can try. Adara wants you to let her protect you. She's a Warrior, it distresses her, when you protect her and end up bleeding," Laila said, slicing into her hand with Regret, silver blood dripping from the cut.

"Laila, she's female. I want to protect her, not the other way around,"

"Some of us don't need to be protected, Uri Dawn," the Goddess said, crawling under the covers with him. Uri, bewildered, scooted over. "Sometimes we need to protect others from ourselves," she murmured, face close to Uri's. Uri swallowed, back against the wall.

"Laila?"

"You once said you would rather sleep with me, then Gael. You have no idea how much that infuriated her," Laila chuckled. "I realise you love someone, so just sleep, nothing more," Uri nodded, wrapping his arms around the Goddess and pulling her into him. His face buried in her ebony tresses. A faint smile passed over Laila's lips as she closed her eyes. She'd be gone by morning, but Uri would have another protection charm.

*****
Uri woke up, the smell of Laila still strong in his nostrils. He looked down, a silver chain laid where she had been. Talin marched in, robes swirling behind her.

"There's been a Dragon, up north, setting things on fire, and such," she said. She tilted her head at him as he slipped the chain around his neck. "I heard a female talking in here, last night. It wasn't Adara," Talin's eyes narrowed.

"It was Laila, I was talking to my Goddess," he said, pulling on his tunic. Talin sniffed. "Does this Dragon need slaying?" he prompted.

"Yes, however, it is a Black Dragon, I doubt you could slay it," He motioned her to silence.

Balazar? he questioned.

Yes?

Will you help me, Balazar?

Your back hasn't healed yet, you could risk opening the wound again, weilding Shadow Slayyer, Uri.

Uri rubbed his chin, thoughtfully.

"We're going to slay ourselves a Dragon," he grinned.