‹ Prequel: Lore of Anteria

Pawn of the Gods: Treasure of Gael

Chapter Twenty Six

Uri stood, blade drawn, Adara shivered once, at his side.

"Yami slayed my father. He's the reason Kasimir became a God," Adara whispered, Viper Sting shaking in her grasp. Ace laid a hand on her shoulder.

"Yami was younger then," Ace murmured.

"All those who have fallen to Yami's blade are our Gods," Talin said, drawing her own dagger. "So, I suppose if we perish, we have something to look forward to,"

"He comes," Alwinera and Saber said together. The group fell silent, faces grim. A voice sang through the trees.

"Little herosss, oh do come out. I don't want to come in, if I have to, I ssshall be very angry,"

"Skerl! Naat blus uben!" Adara shouted, fear on her face.

"Narl!" Alwinera spat at her. Uri looked askance at Talin.

"Adara called him a pig and told him to show himself. Alwinera told her to stop," the bard translated.

"Fine," a voice hissed, all together too close. Yami slipped out of the shadows. He was a Drakaedian. Half Human. Half Dragon. Black leather wings were folded into his back and a thin whip-like tail protruded from the end of his spine. Scales covered his body, making him an impregnable fortress. "Fight me, Adarian," Uri stepped forward, a silver glow wrapped around him.

"Adarian is dead. I am his heir," Uri snapped, Vanity and Shadow Slayer drawn, Yami hissed when he saw Shadow Slayer. Alwinera stepped forward.

"Chaos will hear about this!" she snarled.

"Chaos' Kingdom is dead!" Yami laughed. "The Drakaedian Prince is no more!" He lunged at Uri, who brought Vanity up to parry the black blade. The name, Taint, stood against Yami's black sword, shimmering off Uri's aura.

"Tainted blade shall reap his soul..." Adara murmured. Snow Lily swung towards Yami. Yami turned to look at her.

"Daughter of the Fire General. The one who wreaked havoc upon the forces of Darkness with his burning scythe," he said slowly, his forked tongue snaking out to taste the air. His eyes lit up. "Fire Daughter loves the Black King!" He turned to Uri again, Taint swinging relentlessly. Uri was hard pressed to block them all, but he did. In a flash Alwinera was there, a brilliant gold lance in her hands.

"Uri, go! Take your friends and go! You cannot die here, not yet!" she roared, sparks flaring up from contact with the black blade. She looked over her shoulder. "Goddesses can't die, Uri. We're immortal," she smiled, nodding at him. He nodded, his face set in grim lines. And there goes the hero of Anteria, Alwinera thought, pushing Yami back with a mighty shove. She advanced on Yami.