‹ Prequel: Lore of Anteria

Pawn of the Gods: Treasure of Gael

Chapter Five

"I cannot. I promised your father," Zeke said, looking away. "He made me promise to not teach you the way of the sword, before entering Gael's castle. He knew he was going to die. He accepted it, for the chance to become a hero, a Champion of Gael. To end the God War is... was his dream,"

"It did him no good," Carn said. "To want to end the War between the Gods. Nations lie in ruins five thousand years later and more join them, because the Gods choose to fight,"

"And yet, there is still a small hope in the world, with every breath that is drawn, that she will bestow the Dream Slayer on a 'hero' worthy of it. There are princes who fight for thier Gods, sending endless masses to thier deaths. It is a sad reality," Ma'iola murmured, wiping a tear from her cheek.

"Let the journey continue where it left off, then," Uri said, handing Rikita to her mother. "I will go to Kasimir's realm and train. The God of War turns none away," The young scholar turned on his heel, towards the cottage.

"Uri!" Zeke said, running after him as he stalked off. Uri stopped inside the door of his home, looking around.

However, Kasimir is said to scorn those with out a weapon, upon entering his kingdom, A wide smirked passed over Uri's face. For the first time, he had a plan. He wasn't going to just sit around reading books and studying maps of lands he was never going to visit, he was going to take action.

He moved around the house, collecting stuff in preparation for his journey. He grabbed a change of breeches and a tunic or two. The waterskin from the water pump and a bedroll from the stables.

He was packed, bedroll strapped on the back of Eclipse, their black stallion, waterskin hanging over the saddlehorn, when Zeke walked in.

"Uri, Rikita's crying for you. She wants you to stay, we all do," his uncle said. Uri shook his head.

"If no one else will try, then someone has to. Even if I die trying, it's better then if I hadn't tried at all. Maybe I'll get lucky, maybe I was born just to stop this senseless War between the Gods. Who knows?" A soft knock was heard on the door and Uri turned to answer it.

"Seeress Ana'iel," Zeke said, eyes wide, bowing automatically. She waved him up, turning to Uri.

"You will meet a Thief, a Warrior, Twins and a Bard. Do not let them fly from your journey. I cannot see if Gael will grant you your wish. I cannot see if you will live, on the other hand, I cannot see if you will die. Kasimir will not teach you, young one. He knows your purpose, it would stop his Wars, that he does love so," Seeress Ana'iel's cloudy eyes, connected with Uri's briefly, sending a shudder through him.

"Uri, promise me you'll be safe?" Rikita asked softly, slipping in behind the Seeress.

"I will make no promise I cannot keep, little one," he said. She ran upto him and wrapped her arms around his neck, burying her face in his neck, sobbing. He ran his fingers through her hair. "You listen to your mother, Rikita,"

"Take these with you, nephew," Zeke said, holding out the cloak Ma'iola gave him and the most decorated sword he'd ever laid eyes on. "It was your fathers..."Uri pulled it out of the scabbard slowly, the mage light reflecting off the blade. Shadow Slayer was written in elegant flowing script, carved onto the blade, a shard of obsidian sat in the pommel. "This sword once belonged to--"

"To King Adarian himself, the King who drove back the hordes of Dark Elves from the castle of Dawn," Uri finished, awe plain on his face. "Wait," he said, a frown creasing his brow. "How--" Zeke shook his head.

"The Lore said it was lost after King Zerimon charged into the Dark Elf capital. Find the answer yourself," the Seeress spoke up sharply. "Go, before my apprentince here gets impossible to move," Uri bowed his head, swinging a leg over Eclipses back.

"I will be back," he said, heeling the stallion into a gallop, towards Kasimir's realm. The sky rumbled, lightning flashing across the sky.

"Somewhere a God just laughed," the Seeress smiled.