‹ Prequel: Lore of Anteria

Pawn of the Gods: Treasure of Gael

Chapter Six

Uri's head snapped around sharply as the lightning flashed. She said Kasimir wouldn't teach me, of course the God wouldn't teach me, how about a disciple instead? If I remember correctly, the nearest barrack is three days from here. Uri thought, bent over Eclipses neck as the moon was over shadowed by clouds. Let the rain bear down on me and wash away my fears, Kasimir, He chuckled under his breath, causing the horses ear to twitch.

In the next flash of lightning, he saw a young woman running towards him, dress soaked through, tears running down her face. He reined in Eclipse. Her fingers caught onto his boot.

"What has happened?" He asked, cupping her chin with his hand.

"Dark Elves..." she breathed, clinging to him tightly, dark thick hair hung in waves around her face.

"Up," he said, grasping her forearm and pulling her up behind him, a hand on Shadow Slayers hilt. Her arms locked around his waist as he heeled Eclipse into a gallop. I pray they don't catch up to me, I'm likely to stab myself as my opponent, he thought sourly. A loud whistle pierced the air and he saw the flash of a silver arrow-tip, as he dove off Eclipse, pulling the woman down with him.

"Blast," he murmured softly, drawing Shadow Slayer and holding it in shaking hands. Low laughs caught his ear, his eyes darting back and forth. "Demon Hounds," he said, a frown creasing his brow. Large hairless, dog-like, other-world creatures, stuck on this plane. Captured and tamed by Dark Elves. "They only attack those who have been damned, marked for capture, or those loyal to their master have turned," He whirled to face the woman. She was on her knees, praying to her Goddess.

"Goddess Gael, I have served you faithfully, as your priestess, please do not forsake me now," she spoke fervently. A Demon Hound leaped out of the brush and Uri swung to meet it, Shadow Slayer slicing through it effortlessly. I will not allow a woman to die, because I am too weak to protect her! he thought, anger searing through his limbs as another hound made for the woman.

She watched him, eyes wide with fear and shock. Shadow Slayers blade glowed a deep crimson, as the blood coated it's length, a fierce snarl slipping past Uri's lips. The Hound Master's, Dark Elves, came out to stare at him. Murmuring and pointing at him, the sword in his weak grasp, the priestess and the dead Demon Hound bodies scattered around him. Uri felt a presence wrapped around him, a deep shadow, breathing heavily beside him.

A small female Dark Elf nocked her bow, taking aim. As she made to release the arrow, a male grabbed her. He shook his head at her, pointing to Uri. She hissed, snowy hair whipping around her face as she struggled.

"Ta'armi," the male said, pointing at Uri again. "You find Elf Savior, Shadow Hound,"

"You're asking me to find your liberator?" Uri looked at him, breath heavy, standing defensively in front of the human. The Dark Elf nodded sharply. "Shadow Hound is me?" The Elf nodded again, whistling lowly. Eclipse was brought back to him. He took his horses reins warily, picking up the priestess, and putting her on Eclipses back. "I will find your Liberator. Do not forget me," He slipped up in front of her and rode back to the road, the sun was rising in the east.

"My name is Gael, my mother named me after the Goddess, hoping to bring good fortune to me," she murmured softly.

"What are you doing in Kasimir's Realm, then, Priestess?" he asked,

"I'm going to kill Kasimir," she said, matter-of-fact.