‹ Prequel: Lore of Anteria

Pawn of the Gods: Treasure of Gael

Chapter Nine

Uri followed the woman, her hair was flowing down her back, the braid bouncing as she walked. Fully armored knights stepped out of her way, bowing to her. Daughter of Kasimir? A Demi-God? Uri wondered vaguely, scratching his chin.

"Uri of the Fallen Wood, you have come here to train in the name of my Father, Kasimir, yes?" she cocked her head at him, eyes a deep green.

"Yes, Mistress Adara!" he said, saluting. Not a person had not heard of the famous Daughter of Kasimir. Her heart was like steel and she never yielded. The warriors grinned at him.

"Where is your blade, Light Elf?" she asked. He drew Shadow Slayer, the ruby blade glittering in the noon sun. "Shadow Slayer, the descendants of King Adarian used this blade until the Dark Elves killed his offspring when he thought to annihilate them," Adara said, eyes caressing the blade. "The Fallen Wood holds many secrets, young scholar, your true heritage may be amoung them. Come," Adara said, drawing her sword, Snow Lily.

She charged him and Shadow Slayer pulled him, dancing out of the reach of Snow Lily. Uri concentrated on Shadow Slayer and saw a shadowed hand over his, moving the blade. Dance with me, Adarian, like you once did, it hissed. Relinquish yourself to me, Uri's eyes widened as he relaxed his body, the shadow melded into his.

Adara's eyes narrowed as she charged and he deflected every blow, countering easily. He parried her attack, catching the hilt with his own and wrenching the blade from her tired grasp, Shadow Slayer at her throat. The entire barracks watched, eyes wide and mouths open.

Gael's eyes glittered. Adara stepped back, dropping to her knees and bowing her head. Uri held out his hand to her. She took it.

"Uri, how did you do that?" she whispered, quietly. No one had ever beaten Adara until today.

"I don't know, Mistress Adara," he lied, sheathing Shadow Slayer and handing her Snow Lily by its hilt. Gael ran her fingers through her hair, deep in thought. Adara looked up at Uri, the sun making her hair look like it was fire.

"I will find out. You are assigned to barracks #453, go," she said, dismissing him. Adara, Daughter of Kasimir, turned on her heel, striding away from the Light Elf with a Kings sword.