Sequel: Time to Change

A City of Fools

.004

Alex shoved his hands into his pockets after he paid the bill and walked out to the game room to find Jack, Lauren, and Eli. He could admit that maybe he went a little too far—okay, he definitely went too far—but he was joking! He spotted Lauren and Jack across the room at the trivia game and he walked up behind them, throwing an arm around each of their shoulders.

“A,” he told them. “It's definitely A.”

Lauren frowned up at him before hitting the C button and she shoved his arm off of her shoulder.

“Bad choice,” Alex muttered.

Lauren smirked when the game said she answered correctly and she looked back up at Alex. “You were saying?”

“Where's Eli?” he asked.

Jack rolled his eyes. “What did you do, bro? She left.”

Alex frowned. “She left?”

“Yes, you asshole,” Lauren said, forgetting the game as she stood up and looked at him. “I don't know what the fuck you said but I swear I will slap the taste out of your mouth if you upset her again.”

“I don't think—“ Alex started to protest but he was cut off again.

“That's right—you don't think!” Lauren yelled. “When I find out what you said to her, it's go time.”

Alex rolled his eyes. “I don't think you would win, shorty,” he said.

“Guys,” Jack interrupted, shaking his head.

“Oh, I think I could get you where it really hurts, bro,” Lauren mocked.

“Guys!” Jack said again.

Alex scoffed. “I'm not afraid of you. What? Are you going to attack me with your pom poms?” he asked.

“I'd attack you with more than that, Alex!”

“Shut the fuck up!” Jack yelled, looking back and forth between them. “Both of you. Now, Alex, call Zack or Rian and find a ride home because you're not going with us. You're not going to ruin our date so just go, okay?” he said.

Lauren smiled softly to herself.

“Don't give me that look, cheerleader,” Alex muttered.

Jack looked over at Lauren. “And you! Threatening my bro?”

“He ran off my bro!”

Jack laughed softly.

Lauren blushed at her slip up. “Okay, my female bro-equivalent.”

“You're lucky you're adorable,” Jack said softly, brushing a strand of hair behind her ear and kissing her cheek. He heard Alex groan and he looked over. “Oh. You're still here?”

Alex rolled his eyes. “Whatever. You guys are boring and I'm leaving,” he said. “See you later, bro.” He waved softly, not even caring that the tiny girl was glaring daggers at him, and he walked out of Dave&Busters, digging his cell phone out of his pocket. “Hey, Lisa. Can you come get me? I'm outside D&B; my date just ran off...”

+

“What happened, Eli?”

Eli sighed, forehead leaning against the glass of the window. She didn't answer her mother; she didn't see the point. She was already embarrassed enough that she let herself get so worked up over some guy that she didn't care about—because she really didn't. Nope. Not at all.

“Eli,” her mother sighed. “You know you can talk to me.”

“I know I can. I just don't want to,” Eli told her as they pulled into the driveway. She shoved her hands into her pockets as she walked into the house, up the stairs, and into her room. She locked her door as she changed into her pajamas—some shorts and her brother's black sweatshirt that she had stolen from him months before, and she pulled on her favorite slipper boots. She tied her hair back and removed her makeup, turning on her music before sitting back on her bed. She reached for her phone and sent Lauren a quick message: sorry I ruined your date; I hope you're having fun with Jack. She tossed her phone to the side and laid back on her bed, wishing she could go back in time and refuse to go on the date in the first place.

She couldn't believe Alex. Yet, she couldn't believe herself—that she was still upset. She knew from the beginning that he wouldn't have tried to be polite; he wouldn't have tried to make the date enjoyable for his best friend; that he wouldn't put his opinions aside for one night. And yet she was; she was surprised. And she didn't even know what she had did to him to make him hate her—nothing she could think of, not to the best of her recollection. But maybe Alex just hated blindly.

tell me what the ass did later; love you.

Eli smiled at Lauren's text message—always looking out for her best friend. She pulled the sweatshirt tighter around her as someone knocked on her bedroom door. She got up and unlocked it, surprised she had actually forgotten, and opened it to see her brother standing there; his green eyes that mirrored hers were filled with worry and he stepped past her and into her room.

“You may be able to fool mom,” Gabe said, moving to sit on his sister's bed, “but you can't fool me.”

“Am I that easy to read?” Eli asked.

Gabe shrugged, patting the space on the bed text to him. “What's wrong?”

Eli sighed, something she had been doing a lot that evening, and sat down next to her brother. “Just a...bad blind date. And I was even prepared.”

“How were you prepared for a blind date?”

“Well, it wasn't blind for me,” she told him. “Lauren and Jack went on their first date, but Jack wanted to double so it would be less awkward. So his friend Alex went and I went; I knew Alex was going and he hates me and... It was horrible.”

“Alex... Like, Gaskarth? That weird kid?” Gabe asked.

Eli looked over at him. “You're one week into your freshman year—how do you already know about him?” she asked.

Gabe smiled. “I know all the right people. Besides, he's hard to miss,” he told his sister, flushing slightly.

Eli groaned. “Don't tell me you think he's good looking.”

“He's ridiculously good looking, sis,” Gabe told her. “Why does he hate you?”

She shrugged. “Honestly? The only reason I can think of is that I'm a cheerleader.”

“So...he's bitter towards the popular kids?”

“I don't know,” Eli answered. “I mean, I've never been nasty to him—none of the girls have. Not to the best of my knowledge anyway.”

Gabe frowned. “You know. He could easily get in with your crowd, you know? His smile...” Gabe shook his head. “It's fucking adorable.”

“Watch your language,” Eli chastised softly, slapping her brother's hand.

Gabe laughed. “I mean, he is!”

Eli sighed. “He could be worse looking,” she said, repeating what she had told Lauren. “But it doesn't change the fact that he's an arrogant asshole and I want nothing to do with him.”

“Arrogant? But he's so quiet!”

“Pee-shaw!” Eli exclaimed. “He might be quiet at school but he is nothing of the sort outside. He's arrogant and he acts like he can get whoever he wants and he's mean! Like, really mean, Gabe.”

“Maybe he likes you.”

Eli frowned and didn't say anything for a minute. “I will give you thirty seconds to retract that statement.”

Gabe laughed. “I'm not taking it back.”

Eli punched his arm.

Her brother groaned, rubbing at his arm. “For a cheerleader, you punch hard.”

Eli smiled. “Are you scared?”

“No.”

“Are you gonna take it back?”

“No.”

Eli frowned. “He doesn't like me. We're not in second grade—insulting someone is not considered flirting anymore. And it wouldn't matter even if he did—I despise him.”

“You despise him because he despises you. But if his love is masked as despise, then so is yours,” Gabe said. “Right?”

“No,” Eli said, shaking her head.

“C'mon, Eli!” Gabe said, groaning. “You never get out there and date. What's so bad about dating?”

“I don't like the concept of dating, Gabe, you know that. I want to focus on my studies.”

“Piss poor excuse.”

“So what's going on with you?” Eli asked, smiling.

Gabe rolled his eyes. “We're not changing the subject.”

“Yes, we are.”

“Eli...” he shook his head.

“Any new boys?”

Gabe flushed. “Stop.”

“Tell me about him,” Eli said, nudging her brother's arm.

“Mom and dad won't like him.”

“They don't like anyone.”

Gabe smiled, softly. “I know. But. Okay, fine, his name is Danny. He goes to Towson, you know, across town? I met him on the first day, he came to pick up his cousin or something, and he's great. He actually likes me, can you believe it? He's tall and has blue eyes and brown hair and a full sleeve of tattoos,” he shook his head. “He's beautiful.”

Eli smiled. “You like him?”

Gabe nodded. “I really like him. He's perfect. He's gorgeous and funny and he actually likes me, Eli.”

“How can he not?”

He rolled his eyes. “You know what I mean, sis.”

“It's about time you find someone who loves you, Gabe,” Eli said, hugging her brother tightly.

“You'll find someone too!”

Eli scoffed. “Stop, Gabe. I don't want to find anyone.”

“But you will,” Gabe said. “And you'll fall hard.”

“I hate falling,” Eli joked, laughing slightly.

Gabe kissed his sister's forehead. “You're my favorite sister.”

“You're my favorite brother,” she said, smiling. “I don't know what I'd do without you.”

+

Alex rolled over onto his back, away from the girl who was trying to cuddle up to his side. Running a hand over his face, he stretched to loosen up his muscles.

“You okay?” Lisa asked, looking over at him.

“Yeah,” Alex told her, sitting up and reaching over the side of the bed for his pants.

“Leaving already?”

Alex sighed and sent her a look. “Do I ever stay?”

She shrugged. “Guess I thought it'd be different.”

“It never is,” he told her, standing up to pull on his jeans. He looked around her room for his shirt, finding it hanging across the mirror on her dresser. Normally, he'd smile, but all he could do was frown as he pulled the material over his head.

Lisa sighed. “I was hoping. Especially since our date last week. I mean, you'd never taken me out on a date before...”

“It wasn't a date, Lisa,” Alex said, pulling on his shoes. “You're not that dense.”

Lisa couldn't hide the hurt that flashed in her eyes. “You can't just...keep using people, Alex.”

“You seem content with letting me use you,” he answered.

“Not anymore,” she said, holding the blanket to her chest as she reached for her clothes. She pulled them on as quick as she could and she pushed Alex towards her door. “Leave.”

Alex scoffed. “Come on, you're really gonna force me out of your house?”

“Yes.”

“Why?! I was being honest!”

Lisa frowned. “You know what, Alex? You can keep going through life, treating girls like shit, using them for sex, and then pushing them aside right when they show any interest in you. But it's gonna back fire. And I can't wait to meet the girl that breaks your heart and congratulate her,” she snapped. “Now get the fuck out of my house.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Attire.
Sooooo. I love my 95 readers, 25 subscribers, and...well, the comments are lacking. But I don't want to be mean and refuse to update until I get X amount! I want people to comment because they want to and because they enjoy the story. :)
However, about...5 comments would be greatly appreciated, you wonderful, beautiful people. I think you guys can do it. *nods*

Thank you everyone who's reading/ commenting/ subscribing!
I appreciate all of it so, so much and I'm glad you enjoy it. :)
Please let me know what you think! :)