Status: ContestEntry//Finished

A Little More

.001

“I’m sorry Linda but I think it’s best if we broke up, I mean we’re both have a rough time, it’s our senior year and I just don’t think that we should be together anymore. I think we’re better off as friends.” Better off as friends. The words sliced through me like a knife sliced through butter, they cut me in half, they broke me. “Linda are you okay?” The voice asked, sounding concerned, I broke off from my thoughts, from thinking about the words that Charlie had just said. I broke my gaze away from the dull gray lockers to look at Charlie’s face. His face was full of concern, as if he was worried about the words he had said, as if he had spoken without thinking and was regretting it, wishing that he could take it back.

“Yeah, I’m fine.” I replied quietly as I looked away, a few people had stopped in the hallways and were starting to stare at us; I could feel my face burning with embarrassment as I turned around and walked away. People were whispering all around. I heard a voice call my name but I ignored it as I headed for the door. It was only 1:30 in the afternoon, I still had another block that I had to attend, Science which was my best class.

At that point I didn’t care, the word’s that Charlie had spoken were still echoing in my ears, part of me was wondering how I would go on without him. We had been dating for five years, since grade seven and I was positive that we would have a future together, that we would get married and have kids. The entire school thought that, we had been together longer than anyone else had.

“Linda! Wait up!” A voice called behind me as I sniffled. Oh great now the water works were going to come, how lovely just in time for Jason, my brothers best friend, to see. I ignored him and kept on walking through the parking lot, towards the road. “Linda!” Jason yelled again as I stopped walking. What the hell did he want? The little pain in the ass was probably coming to laugh at me for being so emotional.

"What the hell do you want?" I snarled at him as I whipped around and was face to face with him. The smile that was on the little fuckers face disappeared when he saw my watery eyes, good serves him right if he was coming to pick on me. I thought to myself as he fidgeted and I glared at him.

“N-nothing I was just wondering if you were okay.” He said quietly as a tear rolled down my face. Yeah right, nice bullshit excuse, I thought to myself as I wiped away the tear, he didn’t need to see me cry, I didn’t need his sympathy. Not now, not ever.

“I’m fine.” I said in a cold tone as I slung my bag over my shoulder, hopefully this was going to be the end of the conversation and we could both carry on our ways respectively.

“You sure? I mean you didn’t look okay back there.” He asked as his brown eyes full of concern studied me curiously.

“Yeah I’m sure.” I replied as he toyed with his zipper of his brown jacket.

“Positive?” He asked, leaning closer to me.

“Completely and utterly.” I replied shortly, I was losing my patience with him now, I watched him think about what I had just said as he fidgeted with his snakebites self consciously.

“Where ya heading? I thought you had one more class left today.” He asked after a moment, I rolled my eyes, could I just punch the bastard and then leave? I mean it would work, I might get in trouble but it would.

“Home, I don’t really feel like going to Science class today.” I told him as he nodded his head.

“Oh well I’ll come with you I was going to bring Andrew his homework anyways.” Jason said in a light tone. I gritted my teeth and mentally cursed myself. That was the last thing I needed for him to come along.

“Well if you want I can just take the homework from you and give it to Andrew for you.” I said, hoping that he would catch on, give me the homework and then leave and let me go my own way.

“Nah, I have to talk to him anyways,” Jason said obviously not getting the hint I had so nicely put out for him. I groaned but didn’t argue with him because I just simply didn’t see the point.

“Well then let’s go.” I said in a flat tone as we began to make our way across the school campus, no-one noticed the two of us walking across the campus and as we stopped at the road.

“Are you sure you’re okay?” Jason asked me for the fifth time, I was pretty close to just slapping him now.

“I’m positive.” I replied icily as I adjusted my black toque and pushed my red bangs off to the side, he gave me a look which made me think that he didn’t believe me but didn’t say a word. He followed me across the street and as I took the staircase underground for the LRT. Sure I was only in highschool but this was the best highschool in the city for the arts so I attended that even though it meant that I had to take the public transit everyday to and from school. My brother Andrew who was a year younger also attended this school, the reason why? Because Jason went there and because they had been friends forever

“Here come on if we hurry we can catch this one.” Jason said as he dragged me along after we paid for tickets. I sighed as I tried to keep up with him, but he was taller and had longer legs so that didn’t exactly work out too well. We arrived just as the LRT was leaving, Jason swore and stomped his foot, obviously extremly mad that we hadn’t caught it. Where as I on the other hand was smiling for God knows what reason, Jason gave me a funny look as a chuckle escaped from my lips.

“Whats so funny?” He asked me as I shook my head at him, he had wanted to get on that LRT so badly and we had missed it by seconds, he looked at me as though I was insane while I sliently snickered to myself until the next train arrived.

We were the first ones on and we took the corner seat in the first train. The seats were a faded orange and overall I’m sure it had been very nice at one point but now it was dull and dingy. We lived probably a good ten to twenty stops away which if you translated that into real time, probably a good half and hour since they stopped for so long and didn’t exactly zoom along.

“So.” Jason started as the train slowly started to pick up speed. From that we began to chat, after all there was nothing better to do, no one else I could potientally talk too.

“So why would you come after me? I mean after me and Charlie...” I said a while later as I trailed off.

“I duno, ‘cause you seemed pretty upset about it, that’s why.” He replied simply, without thinking, I slid closer to him. He didn’t notice, either that or he just didn’t care.

“Is that the real reason you came up after me? Or is that just an excuse?” I asked without thinking, the words just escaped of their own accord, I was thinking them but I never meant to say them out loud.

“To what does it matter? Either way we’d still be here having this discussion.” He said simply as he leaned in closer to me, “maybe I came after you for another reason.” He whispered in my ear, sending shivers down my spine. He smirked at me, as if he knew that just his voice had made me freeze up like that.

“To what does it matter? It matters to me.” I told him softly as I felt his warm breath on my mouth as his lips gently brushed against mine. The metallic piercings weren’t comfortable but they weren’t awkward, they were cold but they seemed to make the kiss more heated, more passionate. It wasn’t a deep kiss or a long one,it just gave me enough time to get a small taste of him, a sample if you will. It gave me a little comfort to know that he was nearby, and a little more knowledge of what was to come.