Sequel: Lose Control
Status: Complete

The Only Exception

Oh Shit!

19 stitches between my nose, my lip and my left brow; lucky for me I didn’t chip a tooth or break anything. Unfortunately for me, it was going to scar. And even though Dr. Cullen, Carlisle as he requested, said I shouldn’t go to school for at least two weeks come Tuesday morning I was up, showered and ready to go. Poor Rose and Jas hadn’t been able to go on their date and Emmett and I had never gotten to rehearse our scene so we were winging it.

Steps on the stairs alerted me that my brother was finally up and ready so I quickly finished up my email to our little sister, Jill. She was 10 and living with her biological mother who was much worse than our own mother. Jason and I liked to check in on her every week to make sure everything was ok and to update her on our own lives. And even though we did it separately, it was still a family thing. Jill lives in Idaho and now that we were closer I had plans to go visit her, I just had to find a time.

“What are you doing up sis?”

Glancing at my brother, I shut my laptop and gestured to myself, “waiting for you so we can go to school,”

“The doc said no school Kayden, you are staying home.”

“No actually Jason, I’m not. What do you want me to do, sit on the couch all day and watch soaps,” even though I secretly liked soaps.

“I don’t care but you aren’t coming to school and that is final,” grabbing his keys, he dropped a kiss to my forehead, being careful of my stitches and walked out the door chuckling at my vast expanse of swear words.

Still grumbling to myself I stood up and was about to sit down on the couch when I remembered the clearing. Grabbing a bag, I snatched my IPOD, my phone, keys and some snacks and ran out the back door after locking up. If I wasn’t allowed at school, I would be damned if I spent the day in the house.

I must have been there all day when I got that feeling that I was being watched again.

Refusing to even look since I knew I was imagining things, I went back to listening to my IPOD and didn’t hear my phone ring.

“When I was younger
I saw my daddy cry
And curse at the wind
He broke his own heart
And I watched
As he tried to reassemble it

And my momma swore that
She would never let herself forget
And that was the day that I promised
I'd never sing of love
If it does not exist

But darling,
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception

Maybe I know, somewhere
Deep in my soul
That love never lasts
And we've got to find other ways
To make it alone
Keep a straight face

And I've always lived like this
Keeping a comfortable, distance
And up until now
I had sworn to myself that I'm
Content with loneliness

Because none of it was ever worth the risk

Well, You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception

I've got a tight grip on reality
But I can't
Let go of what's in front of me here
I know you're leaving
In the morning, when you wake up
Leave me with some kind of proof it's not a dream

Ohh---

You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception
You, are, the only exception

And I'm on my way to believing
Oh, And I'm on my way to believing”


I loved singing to myself and Jason had only ever heard me sing once or twice when we were younger. Now that I was older and had had some vocal training (at my own expense) I knew I was better. Singing was one of the things that no matter how I was feeling, it made it all better. Jumping to my feet as I spotted someone standing in the shade, I pulled my headphones out and called out to them, but never got a response. At least from that person.

“There you are Kayden; Jason as been driving us crazy worrying over you,” spinning on my heel I looked up at Emmett as he stopped beside me. “Are you ok?”

Looking back at the spot, where only a few minutes ago had been the shadow of a woman, I was greeted instead by a woman standing maybe twenty feet from us. She had flaming red hair and a crazy look at me stance that reminded me of a giant cat. She was smirking at the two of us and I could tell by the way that Emmett had stiffened, he not only saw her too but he knew her.

“Victoria,”

“Cullen, I thought you were with the blonde. This one doesn’t look your type. She’s breakable,” snarling she turned on her heel but before she ran off, she glanced back and smirked at me, “Watch your pretty little back princess. Mr. Big and Buff won’t always be there to protect you.” Grabbing my arm, Emmett reached down and grabbed my things before he started to drag me back towards the house.

Stumbling, I dug my heels into the ground growling as Emmett continued to tug, “Stop Emmett, that hurts.” Stopping abruptly as if I had smacked him he turned back to face me, gently pulling my arm up to exam it.

“Did I – hurt you?”

I couldn’t meet his gaze; because truth be told he hadn’t hurt me just startled me and brought up a bunch of questions. Shaking my head, I glanced up cautiously through my lashes. “You didn’t hurt me. But what are you? I know she wasn’t – human and I know you can’t be either. Please don’t lie to me either,” searching his eyes, I realized who had been standing over me when I blacked out; who had caught me. There was something in them that just drew me in and held me there.

Opening and closing his mouth a few times he groaned, finally giving me an answer, “My family and I are vampires and that in the clearing, was another vampire one that feeds on humans.” It was nice to have a confirmation.

“I thought so. Finally my fascination pays off. I was right,” I didn’t move, but Emmett stepped closer reaching up to my hair to smooth it back out of my face.

“You aren’t scared?” shaking my head, I cracked a soft smile.

“No, you don’t scare me,”
♠ ♠ ♠
I said The Only Exception and A Fate Unknown would be updated on the same nights and they will be; A Fate Unknown will be updated just as soon as I finish writing it.

The song is Paramore's "the only exception" I love the song, it was my inspiration for the story and I wanted to use it.

Jill (Kayden and Jason's sister) is a character created by Gray, who made my wonderful profile layout and as a Thank you, I offered a spot in any story she choose. This was it and there will be more of Jill in the next chapter.

As always,
Love,
Devon