Status: Active possibly?

Hello Fascination

The Grim Goodbye

On Audrey’s demands, I was brought out of the soft cell and taken down a few floors to the medical facility. However, I was taken to a private room, rather than the shared hospital ward. I wasn’t pleased to find that Wendy was the nurse treating me. Not that I was remotely amused previously. In fact, the whole day hadn’t gone so smoothly to begin with. I just felt as if my tolerance level had finally hit its peak and now I’d stop at nothing to get out of this god forsaken place. First off, there was the conflict between Audrey and Wendy and then the group therapy fight ending me up in a soft cell with a possible cracked rib and now Wendy is here to annoy me more.

“You sure don’t look happy to see me, J,” Wendy started, clearly noticing my exaggerated glare. Yes, because frowning at her will make all my problems go away. “Hey, it takes more muscles to frown than to smile! Turn that frown upside down!”

I let out a loud sigh. “How can that possibly make sense? A frown turned upside down will not form a smile; it’ll only form and upside down frown and where is the logic in that?” I questioned. “Now, I didn’t come here to chat. Fix me up and I’ll leave straight away,” I ordered as I raised my scrub top.

“Don’t flash your nipples at me! And don’t tell me what to do! As long as you’re in here, you do what I tell you, not vice versa. Now place yourself on the bed and take your top off.”

“Or what, hmm?” I asked smarmily.

“I won’t help you escape tonight.” I growled inwardly at her remark and that smug smile on her face. She knew she could manipulate be with that kind of bribery. I was in no state of mind to want to give up that deal.

“Tonight?” I questioned, just to clarify. She nodded her in reply whilst biting her lower lip. “I’ll be waiting in my cell – obviously.” I placed myself on the bed behind me and pulled the top over my head slowly, in fear of twisting my torso the wrong way. Broken or not, my ribs were still excruciatingly painful.

“You’re also going to have to tell me about yourself before I let you leave,” Wendy added as she began to unravel a roll of bandages. “I want to know all about you.” The way she said it sounded almost robotic; as if she knew exactly what she was going to say and had studied her words closely.

I cleared my throat remembering a particular conversation previously today. “That, uh, reminds me. Is there a particular reason as to why you’re so eager to acquire this information?”

“Hmm, no reason.”

“Liar! Tell me –” As I raised my voice, Wendy deliberately tightened the bandage in pure spite. I groaned in pain at the almost electrocuting feel of the tightening. If I wasn’t so winded, I’d have probably done something or at least said something to her. There was also the problem that she may repeat her actions and I was in no mood to be tormented like so.

“How much did you hear?” Wendy asked as she glared down at me. At this point, she had already assumed that I had heard her conversation with Audrey previously today.

“I heard enough. So, what is it you’re planning to do, hmm? And what makes you think I’m going to ‘open up’ to you, as you like to put it?” I questioned, immaturely mocking her.

“The fact that your escape depends on this one deal, remember? And does it really matter what I’m planning to do?” She questioned back.

“Ah ha! So you are planning to do something with it! Yes, it does matter! I don’t want you using any information against me for the worst! Are you gonna use that same bribery trick with me all the time!?” I yelled uncontrollably.

“Why, yes. Yes I am. Because I know how effective it is. Trust me; what you tell me will be strictly confidential. Remember, as soon as you tell me, you’re free to leave.” Wendy may sound like an evil genius – a schemer also – but she seemed to be forgetting who she was challenging. May I remind you who the true criminal mastermind here? There’s no need to be modest in this situation, I’m merely comparing myself with the intellect of Wendy, whose schemer in her was more prominent than her tactics. Clearly, it doesn’t take a genius to know who’s smarter. However, she herself obviously didn’t, and underestimated me greatly.

A sly grin instantly tugged at the corners of my lips. The deliciously evil thought was far too pleasing to be able to disguise my excitement. However, it’d have to wait for my departure tonight. Audrey would get what was coming to her. I’d make sure of it. I’d ruin the surprise if I was to tell you now. Wendy seemed to have noticed the change in facial expressions and one eyebrow rose as she stared at me questionably.

“What’s that look for?” She asked as she cut the bandage.

“Hmm, no reason,” I mocked and licked my lips.

She jabbed my ribs with her index finger forcing me to lurch forwards as another cruel act in annoyance. “All done!” She chirped as she smiled brightly at me. Frowning at her harshly, I carefully pushed myself off the hospital bed and placed my top back on. It felt odd having bandages tightly wrapped around my torso. It almost felt like a corset.

I wanted nothing more than to get out of there, so I kept the conversation brief. “So, what time do you plan on meeting me in my cell?” I asked, sounding almost eager.

“It’s a surprise. As soon as I’ve got everything under control, I suppose.”

“You better keep your end of the deal!” I growled as I gripped her arm.

Her lips pursed as she rolled her eyes. “Yeah, yeah, okay. I’ll be there. Now please, stop smothering me and leave.” As my grip tightened around her arm, she yanked it away from me. I daren’t say anything else; I didn’t want to spoil the fun for myself tonight. Therefore, I bit my lip and held my punches, so I could savour them more so later in the evening.

.*.*.*.

After being sent to my cell from being bandaged up by Wendy, I spent the rest of my night waiting for Wendy to appear. I started off patiently awaiting her arrival, twiddling my thumbs and toes to pass the time. Honestly, I really did try being as patient as possible. But as the room became increasingly dark with no signs of Wendy showing up, I grew increasingly irritable. I paced the room back and forth as comical as it may seem. From the boredom building up I could have ran laps around the room, let alone paced it, just to satisfy my need to do something.

The moon was filling the sky by the time I heard the sound of the cell door opening. I instantly stopped in my tracks waiting for whomever to enter. Wendy revealed herself in the moon’s glow and I let out a loud sigh of relief. “There you are!”

“Shh! Shh!” Wendy hushed irritably. “No one know I’m here, so just be quiet. I’ve distracted all the guards for now. They’re all on a higher floor after I created a diversion involving a dangerous patient. It should be an easy task to get out of this current floor. But as for the ground floor, I’m not certain on how many workers are down there. It shouldn’t be too much of a problem with you, taking into consideration your quick thinking, especially with these tools.” Out of her pocket, she pulled a tazer gun, a nightstick and what looked like a simple kitchen knife. “I’m sorry about the selection of weapons. The choice was only limited.”

“They’ll do fine,” I uttered, happily taking the weapons from her.

“Okay, now it’s time to take up your end of the deal. Don’t be stingy on the details. I want to know everything.”

I cleared my throat before beginning. “Well, I’ve lived in Gotham all my life. I used to live in The Narrows with my mom and dad. My dad was an abusive alcoholic. He’d beat my mother endlessly, until one fatal night. She decides to stand up to him. She decides to get a kitchen knife to defend herself. He doesn’t like that. Not. One. Bit. I stood and watched as he put the knife to my mother, incapable of helping her and blissfully unaware that I was to accept the same unfortunate fate. Jack Napier wasn’t ever a happy child when he was younger – for obvious reasons – now...I’m always smiling - - - Is that enough for you?”

Wendy sincerely looked shocked. There was a moments silence before she was able to form any coherent words. “Wow. I wasn’t expecting you to open up to me in that manner. That was...deep – for lack of a better word. I actually feel somewhat special, that you’ve opened up to me like that.”

A smile played at my lips. I chuckled lowly, hardly even audible. I stood up from the bed slowly and toyed with kitchen knife. I felt the cold smoothness of the flat side and ran my index finger along to the tip; sharp and deadly in contrast to the flat side. It was only a mere kitchen knife, but the fact that I’d been deprived of any sharp objects during my confinement here, made me cherish the feel of that knife more.

“You should feel oh-so proud of yourself, Wendy. You should absorb this moment while it lasts. You’ve managed to obtain and fulfil your wants and are now somewhat able to do whatever you want with it. Write a book, tell Arkham, tell it to the whole world – whatever you’re planning to do, you can do it. However, you’ve been naive. Very naive.” I turned to face Wendy who was sat on the bed still. Her expression was unfamiliar to me. It was not one I was used to seeing her with and also the dark lighting in the room seemed to obscure it more so. I could clearly see there was a worry line wrinkling her forehead, however, and the shadow cast from the moonlight seemed to darken this feature.

“What do you mean?” She asked almost feebly. Not once had I heard her use such a tone. She was once so bold and brave, but now I see the phrase ‘a wolf in sheep’s clothing’ can go both ways. It could have been the fact that I was holding a knife or my sudden change in character, which had drained Wendy of her artificial dye and now revealed her true colours. She was nothing.

“Did you think you’d be able to get away with this, hmm?”

“What are you gonna do? Tell on me? Lock me in here?” She questioned; her remaining boldness still trying to strengthen.

“Oh, no. No, I’m not that cruel.” I grinned sardonically. As I grimaced down at her, my shadow being cast upon her almost made it look as if she was shrivelling with fear. Without hesitation, I rose the nightstick in the air and brought it down to her face with a sudden vehement desire for revenge. I felt no shame or sorrow in doing it. In Arkham, I had willingly endured the abuse and torment given to me by her, but I was in control now.

The hit to the face came as a shock to her and as her body jerked to the side as a feral cry was released. I laughed pitilessly as she clutched the side of her face. I repeated my actions, ignoring her weak attempts to make me stop. “You’re very clever for managing to get this information out of me. Unfortunately, you won’t live to tell the tale,” I explained in between hits. I stopped realising I didn’t want her to pass out. Her groans and cries had softened now that I had stopped. She snivelled helplessly as she attempted to back away from me in fear of striking again.

“You’re a sick bastard, Joker! Just let me go! I helped you! You’re fucking crazy, you asshole!” She growled at me through tears. Her body seemed to shake with every breath. It took a lot of courage for her to stand up to me in this disposition. I applauded that, however, it’s idiotic to think I’d not react to it.

Instantly, I grabbed her tightly around the throat and forced her down onto the bed. She was now lying flat on her back, choking for air and her hands desperately clawing away at mine. “The apple doesn’t fall far from the tree, Wendy.” With that said; I quickly grabbed the pillow from my bed and placed it over her face in order to stop her cries for help. Now, they came out muffled and distorted and even the creaks of the bed as she flailed her arms and legs overpowered the cries. I grabbed the knife without a second thought and repeatedly stabbed the pillow. Watching the vermillion blood seep through and almost make a tie dye effect was a beautiful sight to see. Who said murder’s not an art? The way the white of the pillow slowly darkened as the red bled into it had to be considered artistic.

A grim goodbye for the dear Wendy; but a deserved one. Wouldn’t you agree?
♠ ♠ ♠
A morbid ending. I actually think it may be the most morbid and disturbing thing I’ve written. Also, Wendy’s death is kind of an Inglorious Basterds inspired one. I hope you don’t mind me killing her off. She wasn’t much liked anyway, but I had planned to kill her from the beginning.

Chapter title is a song. The Grim Goodbye is a bonus track on The Red Jumpsuit Apparatus’ album, Don’t You Fake It. The whole album is actually really good in my opinion, so I’m going to recommend it. This track is one of my favourites on the album even though it does go on for at least seven minutes.

I had trouble with The Joker’s story because I didn’t feel like I wanted to create my own, but I also didn’t want to copy his previous stories word for word. I do prefer the first scar story to the second for some unknown reason. However, I do like the idea that they were self-inflicted. But I decided to go with the first. Also, I chose Jack Napier to be his name. Didn’t take the liberty of naming him myself, so I settled with what previous Joker’s have been named, even if The Joker in Nolan’s Batman is said to have no name.

And once again, I do apologise if I’m not updating enough. A certain commenter on Mibba made it clear that I’m not updating enough. However, the fact that I was requested by you to take the story down because I didn’t update enough is just absurd. I don’t write this story for you. There are other readers who may be interested to know how this finishes. A lot of readers may be upset if I decided to stop writing it. I know I feel the same way when I read stories which people don’t finish. More so, the request is just plain rude. I enjoy writing this when I’m able to and I’d be angry at myself if I don’t get to the end of this. I don’t mean to offend; I aim to get my point across.