Status: Finished :)

Bloody Surprises

CHAPTER ONE: BLOODY ***

I woke up in hell.

Well not literally; there was no raging fire inferno or demon raising his pitchfork to slaughter me. No. I was on a plane headed to somewhere I never wanted to go. My name is Luciana Hathaway and my ordinary world just turned upside down. I lived with my mom for almost all my life and now it’s all changed.

No she isn’t dead but she and I have to be separated. You see I’m a witness to a very horrible crime. I saw my neighbor’s family- the Andrews- get slaughtered. The man that did it is a wanted sociopath and very hard to catch. I was hanging out at their house one night- their younger daughter and I had a project to finish for the next day. The man, Howard Perkins, came through their front door as an invited guest. Annalisa (the daughter) took me upstairs and said that her parents needed to have a talk with Howard. We hadn’t even crossed her bedroom door when we heard her mother’s bloodcurdling scream. I felt all the blood in my body go cold at that sound. Annalisa was faster than me- she pushed me through her door and into her closet and said, “Be extremely quiet. He may not hurt you.” I think I was in shock because I didn’t register what she had said.

She didn’t get a chance to lock the closet door because he kicked open her bedroom door at that moment. I didn’t see him yet but she had a clear view. Her expression was one of horrible shock; I think she wanted to scream. She kept backing away towards the bathroom and I heard his footsteps coming closer. I pulled the door easily but it only closed partially. That’s when I saw Howard; I had to bite my fist not to scream. He was covered in blood (even his mouth had), he was grinning and he held in his hands a knife (bloody) and a head. He was holding Mrs. Andrews by her ponytail; the eyes were gouged out and her mouth was hanging open. I bit myself until I felt the rusty taste of my blood- it stopped my screaming but it didn’t stop the tears from rolling down my face. Annalisa, however, started shrieking for the whole town to hear anyway. Howard grinned- his teeth were bloody- and ran for her. She was too slow. He made her suffer; he stabbed her repeatedly and cut her all over. Then he cut out her tongue; I would’ve run but something (most likely all those years of watching horror movies) told me to stay put. It’s easier said than done; I was so scared that I was shaking.

Bethany, the other sister started screaming suddenly. It seemed she was at her sister’s bedroom. He lunged for her; she was faster. She had just come home for track so she put up a good run. The police took me the only way he caught her was the fact that she slid on her father’s blood. I came out quick then; but a movement caused me to stop.

Annalisa was still alive.
I stooped over her and saw that the cuts were not intended to kill but just to cause pain. I took off my hoodie and put it over her; I then tried to drag her away but she was heavier than I expected. Bethany’s screaming started to die down in volume. What the hell was this guy thinking? It’s like he wants to be caught. I managed to roll her under the bed; she couldn’t scream. She would never be able to scream again. I grimaced as I did it. He wouldn’t be able to find her unless he actually thought she went under the bed. I only hope she didn’t die. I got up from the floor and ran for the bathroom. The window was big enough for me to fit through. I opened it and started to shimmy through. I saw people outside and they were all looking at me with pity. I even saw my mom; another neighbor was holding her from rushing from my aid. I heard sirens in the distance. I had a good drop; I’d probably break my leg or something. But I didn’t have a chance to find out because at that time Howard grabbed my legs. I did what I knew best; I started kicking and screaming. Everybody was tense outside and yelling. Especially mother; she was bawling at the top of her lungs. He managed to pull me in. He sat down on top of me and grinned. I couldn’t help but think with a shave and less crazy eyes he’s be handsome. I thought all of this while screaming. Howard had such brown eyes that they almost looked gold and messy brown hair and beard. Right now it was bloody. He raised his knife and slashed my stomach- the pain made sparks dance in my vision. It felt like he’d cut through the whole thing but it was not extremely deep but just enough to make me bleed. A lot. He was grinning as he cut me some more. My screaming faltered and I thought, oh what the hell, I’m killing myself faster with all this screaming.

He stopped and looked at me. I mean really looked at me. He had this intense stare and for a moment I thought, he can’t be crazy! But then he smiled sadistically and said in a deep voice, “You are extremely pretty but not beautiful. No not yet. Perhaps when you get older. I want to see you again my dear. What is your name?”
I just glared at him; he was pressuring my hips with his weight. He smirked.
“Lucy,” I said. Well more like squeak. It seemed like I had lost my dignity then. Where the hell was the police? He frowned as he processed my information.
“Ah the Hathaway child,” he said after a minute, “Luciana Hathaway; your mother is very beautiful. The blonde hair and blue eyes seem to have gotten to you but your blonde will most likely grow out and fade to a darker blonde and your eyes are very nice. It looks blue but isn’t.”

I was wondering how long he’d keep up his dialogue because it had a girl under the bed very close to dying and my head was staring to spin badly. I was losing a lot of blood. He smiled slowly, “I will let you live, only because I can’t wait to see how you turn out when you’re older.” He got up and with extremely perfect timing the police crashed the front door in. he was hardly fazed. He just stepped over me and walked out the bathroom. I crawled (because I couldn’t feel my legs) towards the bedroom. He stopped and actually blew me a kiss and said, “Until we meet again my sweet.” I shuddered but continued to crawl towards the bed when he left. I could hear the men on the steps, I could feel my heart pounding in my chest and the shock was wearing off. Soon I would start having hysterics but I had to get Annalisa out from under the bed before they don’t find her. She clutched me as I pulled her and we both hugged each other weeping when the police finally came in the room.

I fainted when they pried us apart; but I was able to see the downstairs room before I completely blacked out. There was blood everywhere, the remainder of Mr. Andrews was scattered all over the room. Mrs. Andrews’s decapitated body lay at the foot of the stairs and a little higher up was Bethany. She was cut all in the face and somewhere along the lines he had gotten a lighter and burned the cuts. I knew how that had to feel. Bethany died when they got her to the hospital, Annalisa was in critical condition and it seemed that I was asleep for almost two days. The doctors told my mother it was a prolonged effect of the shock and the blood loss. I was supposed to tell my mom about Howard’s threat but it seemed that Annalisa heard everything. She told everyone she could find who was in charge.

My mother devised a most elegant plan (at least in her eyes); she was going to send me to my father. The man I hadn’t seen in almost twelve years, the man who married another woman, and the man who has other children now. She called him a week before she sent me and had him get me enrolled in school. She did that so she can get me a makeover to. My name there was going to be my middle name- Regan; dad picked it out otherwise I would’ve protested.

She dyed my hair extreme black and added extensions. My original hair was a light fluffy blonde and very short. I looked Goth now so I told mom I want my extensions to be purple too. She grimaced but otherwise complied. We bought some more clothes and sent me packing for Colorado. But before I left I took one week full defense classes too just in case. I got a shock the morning when I was supposed to head to the airport. An envelope was under my doorframe.

All it said was “See you soon princess. I know where you’re going. You can’t hide. You can never hide from me.” Signed with an H.P. He’d been in my house.