Status: Finished :)

Bloody Surprises

CHAPTER TWO: HIS SIGNATURE

The first thing I did was run downstairs. I breathed a sigh of relief when I saw my mother come out of the kitchen.

"Well good morning Lucy," she said smiling, "Aren't you chipper. Are you excited about your trip?" I hated the way she talked to me. It was as if she feared I would go into shock if she only mentioned Howard. The police were very amazed that I was hardly a terrified victim when I came out of the hosiptal; they had reccommended the best shrinks. Ha ha too bad. Somebody wasn't gonna get paid. Anyway the wounds that he had inflicted were shallow and tightly bandaged. They hardly hurt now but the doctors (who were getting on my last nerve I swear) gave me extra doses of morphine. Well I guess I could sell it (yeah right). }

"No," was all I said to Helena, my mother. She was going into the protection service as well but they weren't telling me where. I hate them all but mostly I hate Howard. I hate him because he ruined my life. I had to leave my friends, my mom and my bedroom. I loved my bedroom; my mom and I had painted it ourselves. Alot of interesting things that defined my teenage nature had happened in there. But with knowing that Howard had been up there; while I was sleeping, I couldn't help but feeli victimized. I sighed as I ignored her scrutiny and sat down at the table.
"What's for breakfast?" I asked.
"Blueberry pancakes," she said happily and turned away. I grimaced behind her back.

She's been feeding me like this for the past five days. I had a suspicious feeling that she was trying to kill me herself. Or turn me into a diabetic. My mother came back into the dining room and placed the plate (piled with pancakes) in front of me.

"Oh this came for you this morning," she said and handed me a very beautiful box. It was red and had roses all over it. I opened the box.
"Who's it from?" she asked. I couldn't breathe. Inside was the one thing the police didn't find on Mr. Andrews's body; his thumb. I shuddered and something caught my eye in the bottom. It was a rose, but it had all its thornes and some blood. There was a note attached.

"Uh no one mom," I said quietly. I got up and walked into the living room. The note said simply, "So you're going to daddy's house. Thought I wouldn't have known? Haha. I look forward to seeing you my darling Lucianna. With love H. P.

I tried to freak out in silence.
I didn't know what was worse; that he knew about my father? Or that he could come and go as he wanted? Weren't the police looking for that murderous bastard?!! I mean hello I was trying my best not to remember what happened in that godforsaken house and now I have a souvenir; a dead guy's thumb. There was a knock at the door then and mom went to answer it. I sat where I was staring at the box when I felt a hand on my shoulder; I assumed it was mom so I turned to tell her I was fine when I saw him. Howard was touching me. He looked the same just less bloody. My words died in my throat and I got a flashback of that night in detail. He placed a clean hand over my mouth to prevent any shrieks I had reserved.

"Don't worry I won't hurt you...yet," he whispered, "I just wanted to tell you goodbye in person. I hope you like your gift. The bloody rose is my signature," I blanked; I felt absolutely stupid. That past week I had been practising semi-kickass moves and now...nothing. I promised myself that I would get more training- if I survived. This guy was giving me a complex and a kiss. I tried to pull away when I realized what he was attempting.

"Relax my cheri, I will get you if not today but someday," he said softly. I heard my mother approaching and held my breath. If he killed her in front of me I might lose the self control that I had attained. I sent up a silent prayer and waited as his lips came closer to my face.