Status: Finished :)

Bloody Surprises

CHAPTER FIVE: SILENT MESSAGES

The generator kicked in.

Audra was still shrieking when my father put his arm around her. Thomas and Evan sat quietly on the sofa with blank expressions. It was too late; they couldn’t run now if they wanted. What the hell did Howard want? Besides me of course. How dare he take Devon? What part of his wicked game did my step brother play in? That maniac better not hurt him or I swear to the universe I would rip him apart like he did Bethany’s dad.

“God dammit,” I muttered and before anyone could stop me; I ran. I ran straight up the stairs- I was headed for my room. With the sound of footsteps behind me, I knew they were following.
“Stay together,” I screamed at them without turning around or stopping. I pulled open my bedroom door and walked in; I saw the room and everything in it but I was looking for another message from Howard. The room was my favorite color- purple. Everything was a different color purple- there was lilac walls, violet bedspread (big four poster bed too), walk in closet, computer desk and dresser. But it was upon the desk that I saw the note and white rose (with thorns and the blood).

It read, ‘My dearest Luciana I see you have found my rose; its beauty is nothing compared to yours. I must mention that your hair looks wonderful in black as well as blonde. Ah but the topic at hand is that of your young brother. He is very amusing. Tell his mother that he is unharmed and that you must do me a favor if you want him back. But this is my game so your first task is to find the second note. The roses change in color to black when you have found it. Have fun my love, H.P.’

I stood there with trembling hands; I clutched the white rose so hard that I bled. Audra was reading quietly over my shoulder so I hand it to her and plop down on the bed. I squished the rose until the white petals were pink tinged. My father and brothers stand there awkwardly by the door. I decided to search the house after all that’s what he said to do. “I’m safe for now but I should warn you guys to stay together just in case he decides to swipe you. I’m not sure if he’s in the house still but I’m not taking the precaution,” I said quietly. My father nods but Audra startled me by asking, “Has he hurt you?”

She stood there staring at me with intense blue eyes. I cover my shock easily and I’m sure that my blue violet eyes betray nothing.
“Answer me please?” she begs. I knew that the longer I stayed silent they would assume that he had hurt me even worse than he did. Because all I said he did was drag me from the window kicking and screaming. It’s Evan that finally broke the silence, “Show them Lucy.”
My father looks at us both; I shrug and then lift my hoodie for the second time. Audra nearly faints, she sat down hard on the window seat, my father curses and Thomas turns from white to green. They see the lines that crisscross my stomach; the lines that will never disappear.

“The important thing is that I can get Devon back but I’m doing it alone,” I say and tug my hoodie down. They all open their mouth to protest but I say, “Do you want him to get hurt?”
They swallow their protests and my father reluctantly nodded. I told them I was headed to the kitchen because that’s the only room where there is solid evidence that he was there.
“Be careful,” Evan said; I nodded.
I move down the stairs and wince at the change I see. The entire living room is covered in rose petals- different colors. There is, however, an arrow made entirely of rose petals pointing to the kitchen. I begin to seriously wonder if Howard really is the devil. Seriously how can he not make noise doing this?

I walk in and stifle a scream. The dead butler is sprawled on the kitchen counter with six different knives stuck in his chest and neck. There was also a black rose stuck in a hole the knife made with a note tied to it. I really wanted to puke then but instead I grab the rose and pull. It makes a sucking sound as it pops free which makes me gag. I wince even more as I peel off the bloody note from the expensive rose.
This note said, ‘Hello my sweet, tomorrow we meet face to face again. Tomorrow night your eldest brother has a masquerade ball to attend for his school. Be there at 10 P.M. I will bring the young boy. The reason why we’re meeting there is that I would love to see you in a dress. You are only allowed to people to accompany you by the way.’ It’s signed with Howard instead of H.P.
He was obviously getting comfortable enough to use Howard around me. I sighed and turned from the dead guy. I nearly peed my jeans when I bumped into someone behind me.

“Jesus shepherd of Judea! Are you trying to kill me at seventeen Evan?” I asked clutching my chest and taking deep breaths.
“You’re not afraid to be in a house downstairs alone with your stalker but you’re afraid of little old me? That’s classic Lucy” Evan smirked.
“I thought you were the stalker smartass,” I pointed out happily.
“Well sorry,” he said but didn’t sound apologetic, “Anyway I’m here to tell you our phone connection is on line, but we’re not calling the cops because that might tick him off, oh and he opened the doors so you got a visitor.”
“What visitor?” I asked slightly annoyed.
“Yup,” Evan said grinning evilly, “Your boyfriend’s here and he didn’t appreciate not knowing that you were attacked and still being stalked.”
“Ah shit,” I said with wide eyes, “Seth’s here.”
“By the way since he’s so mad,” Evan continued with a superior smirk, “That means he’ll be going with us to my high school dance.” He laid emphasis on us.
“Ah crap,” I said, ah crap indeed.