‹ Prequel: When Zombies Attack

His Passion My Blood

Vampire Protection Program

Time stretched on for what felt like hours. I began to wonder if Adalae would actually make an appearence. Then again, since she didn't know what I'd just learned about her, did she have a reason to not show up?

Parker ran his thumb along my jaw bone, attempting to comfort me with some contact. "You know we love you. That's why we aren't hiding it from you."

"Only," I state the obvious, "She's actually been hiding it from me for years."

He stops. "Not many people would understand it. It's hard to know how people will react."

His point was valid. I could have taken a steak knife to him if I wanted to. I'm sure some people would have. What makes me so understanding? I guess, in a way, that I know what it's like to be misunderstood. I understand what it feels like to be targeted for no other reason than being who you are.

For example, the time I took my parents in for "Career Day." Being the columnists for a media conglomerate based around horror movies and goth/punk/alternative culture, I got a lot of awkward stares and stupid questions. "So are you guys vampires?" First question.

Needless to say, I kind of understand the reluctance to announce being a vampire or having anything to do with blood sucking. Even if it comes in a nice little Juicey Juice-like box.

Standing next to a curtain, Paris peered through the window. "She's here." He opened the door, welcoming her before she was even to the doorstep. I suppose he didn't want her to get any ideas.

"Come sit," Parker instructed, pulling a chair out for her. He allowed her to sit, still holding the chair still. "You knew I was a vampire, didn't you?" A muscle tensed in his arm.

Adalae's muscles tensed as well. "Why are you doing this? Let me go!"

I understood now. He knew she was going to try to leave, so he held the chair so she'd be stuck there for at least a little bit.

"I told Hannah the truth," Parker began to explain. "I figured it'd be better she knew now. Since it was my sister who landed her in the hospital, after all."

"Karmin." Adalae said.

"So you know my sister?"

"Yes, everyone knows about her. She's killed a lot of humans. I had no idea she's escaped though," Adalae's face looked dead of emotion.

"That's another reason I told her, Adalae. We need to keep Hannah safe. Karmin knows about her and after she finds out Hannah survived, I think she's going to try to make another appearance."

"So what all did you tell her?" turning the topic back to herself.

"Just that you're like me. By the way, Paris has the hots for you, just saying," Parker quickly took the attention from himself.

Adalae didn't budge. "That's really not your place to tell anyone about me. By the way, no, just saying. Anyway," she turned to face me now, "yes, I am a vampire. No, I didn't really want to tell you. I had no intention of hurting you or doing anything to affect your life with my vampirism. I didn't think it was something we really needed to bring up. But since he mentions Karmin, I suppose it's good that you know you're safe with me and Parker. Please stay near one of us at all times."

"I think that's for the best," Parker agreed. "Are you upset with me?"

"Of course I'm upset! Though, I agree that this is for the best, I wish she didn't know. I don't want anything to change between Hannah and I."

"So..." I break into the conversation. "How do you become a vampire?" Hoping to change the subject, as well as out of curiosity, I asked the first question that came to mind.

Adalae and Parker stared at each other for a second, seeing who'd speak first. Neither would budge.

Sliding into a chair next to me, Paris said, "Well, a human is on the edge of death, first. Whether it be a normal death, or from loss of blood after a vampire attack. A vampire can then offer their own blood to the victim. It's an extremely painful process. Sometimes though, the body really wants to die and rejects it. In very rare cases, the body rejects it after the transformation has already started, leaving some in a limbo of sorts. They're not really human, not really vampire. I've only known of one, if that shows you how uncommon they are."

"So could I become a vampire?" I ask, wanting to belong and to be with Parker without being hunted.

"No!" they all say.

"Absolutely not!' Parker said, appalled.

"No way," Adalae says.

"Now, since the VCO is the way they are, it's near impossible for new vampires to be born, for lack of a better word," Paris explains. "Applications are submitted. If you try to go past them, they will hunt down unapproved fledglings and kill them."

"That's a little extreme." Serious business is serious.

"There's been an outbreak before. They're not gonna let it happen again," Parker said. "That's part of the problem. Vampires who were unapproved who became too strong. For example, Karmin."