Status: Slowly Active

Vivacity

o3.

Brent was shaking me gently when I woke up. I didn't feel extra weight on the trampoline, so I guessed everyone else was inside.

I opened my eyes slowly, rubbing them with my fists. Groggily, I asked, "Yeah?"

"Morning time, sunshine," he joked. When I moved my hands and tried to sit up, I gasped. My head felt like someone had just put an ax through it. "Ah, yeah... Forgot to warn you to be slow about getting up. We drank a lot last night. I doubt the smoking helped too much."

"OhmyGod," I moaned, the words flowing together. "It hurts so bad."

"Was last night your first time drinking?"

I shook my head, "No. But I think it might've been the first night I drank so much."

He chuckled quietly, "Do you need me to carry you?"

"Would you?" I pleaded, squinting at him.

"Well, you're going to have to get off the trampoline first," he said. "I'm sure you don't weigh but, like, fifty pounds, but I don't think it's safe for me to try and jump off this thing with you in my arms."

I shrugged, "Fair enough."

He jumped off the trampoline first as I started to crawl towards edge. I had just put my feet over the cold medal when he picked me up.

"Oh. Well, I was going to let my feet hit the ground," I said, nuzzling his neck. "But this totally works, too."

He chuckled, carrying me bridal-style into the house.

Immediately, I heard a chorus of aww's. Loud ones. Wincing, I shut my eyes tightly.

"Hush, guys. She's got a major hangover," Brent scolded. "Someone get some bagels, orange juice, and Advil."

The first thing I was given was the Advil and orange juice. "Tucker ran to get some bagels for us all."

I groaned, resting my head in my hands. "What time is it?"

"Er, nine, I think," Aubrey answered, rubbing my back. "You're mom called."

"Shit. Of course she did," I muttered. She handed me my cell as I ran through the texts. Five from my mother, two from Victoria. I checked the missed calls and, sure enough, they had both called about ten times. Each. "Shit."

Pressing the SEND button, I put the phone up my ear. It only took two rings for her to answer.

"Sarah Lee Ford! I swear to God, if you don't tell me where you are right this minute, I will call the police," she shouted into the phone. I winced, holding it away for a second. "Well?"

"I'm at Liz's, Tori. Chill out."

"Chill out?" I felt everyone's eyes on me. "Sarah, do you have any idea how worried I was when your mother called, asking if you were with me?"

"I'm sorry. I was going to text Mom and tell her I was staying with Aubrey, but I forgot to," I said quietly. Victoria was my older half-sister. Even though we both hated our father, we were exceptionally close. However, her being my sister had it's downs. This was an example.

"You just told me you were at Liz's! So which is it? Liz or Aubrey?"

"I stayed with Aubrey. We just got to Liz's," I lied.

"I'm coming to get you. You keep your ass there." She didn't bother saying goodbye or anything.

"Right then. That was my lovely sister," I explained, "And she's on her way to get me."

"You only just woke up, though." Liz said, frowning.

"I couldn't exactly tell her that."

---

Tori showed up ten minutes later, honking her horn. Luckily, Tucker had gotten back before her with those bagels.

I was walking down the walk, head hung in shame, when Brent came chasing after me.

"Sarah!" I stopped and turned. "You forgot your bag."

I felt my heart drop, but smiled. "Oh. Thanks." I took it from him and fixed my shirt nervously, very aware of Tori's glare.

"Also, would you like to go on a date?"

"Uh, if I'm allowed out of my house after this, then I'd love to."

He grinned, leaning forward and kissing my lips softly. "Great. See you later."

He was awfully confident that I would make it out of this alive. I turned to walk toward the car, taking a deep breath.

As soon as I opened the car door, she asked, "Who was that?"

"Brent. He's Liz's brother," I told her. "He's, like, nineteen."

"You're fifteen. He's nineteen. Do you see the problem with that?" she demanded, putting the car in drive. "Because I sure as hell do."

"Victoria, God. You're not my mother, you're my sister. You're supposed to gossip about this with me," I groaned.

"Not when I know what Liz and her friends get up to," she growled. "And her brother doesn't look any better."

"Are you going to tell Mom this time?" I asked, fingering my purse's strap.

She was quiet for a moment before sighing. "No. Of course not. I don't want you to get into trouble, Sarah."

"I like him, you know," I said quietly. "I haven't liked anyone since Josh."

"I'm not going to say anything because I don't know Brent. But I want to meet him --- officially."

I nodded. Victoria was honestly more of a mother than my own was. Mainly because Mom was always working to provide me with a home, but still.

---

Mom was home. Mom was not, however, angry. Just worried.

"Jesus," she sighed, pulling me into a hug. "Call me or text me next time, alright, Sarah?"

"I meant to," I offered. "I'm really sorry."

"Never mind that now. I'm just happy you're okay," she said. "Now, I need to tell you something."

Victoria entered the living room with a grim look on her face. I shot her a questioning look, but asked Mom what.

"He's back, baby," she said quietly. "Josh is back."

I stared at her for what felt like an eternity. She had a small smile on her wrinkled face. Victoria's expression turned from grim to angry. I just stared, blankly. Falling backwards to sit on the couch, I let out a breath.

"Josh is back?"

"Mhm. Remember Josh, honey? Josh Gardener?" Mom said. "He moved when y'all were in grade school, didn't he? Now you're about to be a sophomore. Aren't you happy?"

"Yeah, thrilled." I looked at Victoria. She looked back at me.

"Well, that's good! Because he's in the kitchen." Mom's smile had gotten bigger. It made me sick; she thought she was doing such a wonderful thing, reuniting grade school friends. "Josh, honey, come out now!"

Josh looked different. Josh looked good. Josh looked uncomfortable.

"Hey, Sarah."

His brown eyes glanced from me to Mom and back again when I didn't answer. I was shocked. All that was running through my head was that Josh was back. Josh was here.

It was quiet again. A very slow, awkward quiet. Tori was biting her nails --- something she rarely did anymore --- and bouncing her knee nervously. Mom was looking worried now. Josh was frowning.

Josh, Josh, Josh.

My childhood friend.

My childhood crush.

The boy who moved the day after I told him I liked him.

Josh, Josh, Josh...

Finally, my mouth opened. My voice came out in a broken whisper, "Josh."
♠ ♠ ♠
"hush. stop talking. brain thinking."
-eleventh doctor, doctor who.

I'm seriously obsessed with Doctor Who, haha. Also, my sister read through this and was all "There are a lot of... fragments." or something like that. So I thought I'd kinda address that. Since it's in the POV of a teenager --- a troubled teenager --- I figured I'd write it like I would think it. I mean, who thinks in complete sentences all the time?