Status: Complete

Helena

The Story

She was alone, he was gone. What could she do now? No point of crying, she had cried for him enough. Of course, this situation was the most expected one when you are the lover of someone who has a girlfriend. Since the first day they met, she knew he would always be taken, that he was off limits, that he didn't need her love, that he was never going to love her no matter how hard she would try.

flashback:
Helena was entering the school cafeteria along with her friends. She looked over at the "popular crowd" and there he was, Derek Smith a.k.a. "Head Hottie", every girl wanted to be with him, and Helena was no exception, she liked him since 1st grade and now they were in 11th and the closest she had been to him was the time she spilled soda on his girlfriend at the graduation ball 5 years back.

At her school, everybody was labeled and had to sit at certain table, Helena would travel from table to table, the people called her the "social butterfly" she had friends at every group except the "popular crowd" just because she didn't have the money, (shallow, I know).

It was Friday and everybody was talking about the party of the century. Derek was going to throw a bash in honor of his girlfriend, Lauren. They had been going out for 6 months and it was the longer Helena had seen Derek go out with a girl, what can you say? he was a player… sort of.
- So Hell, are you going to the party? - one of her friends, Lana asked.
- What sort of question is that? Of course she's going - Ivette, her best friend since kindergarten, told Lana.
- Guys, I don't know if I should go, I don't like that people - Helena spoke.
- What if it's the day Derek finally tells you how he feels? - Lana said, rumors flew about Derek and Lauren splitting up, and the party was a "I'm-so-sorry" present.
- They get drunk, I haven't gotten drunk since.. - Helena breathed.
- Drunk people usually tell the truth… or something like that - Ivette pointed.
- We are not going and that’s final - Helena said bumping into someone.

back to reality
Helena hated that day,best worst day of her life, after her little talk with her friends she had bumped into Derek and he asked her to come to the party, how could she say no to those adorable green eyes? She never could, that's how her fall began. That day, her life as she knew it, came to an end. It was all downhill from here.

She went to the party, not because she wanted to, she had this flaw…she couldn't say no. Too scared? no, it was because she had a big heart and she felt guilty every time she said "no" to something. She didn't wear anything revealing… she knew better than that. When she entered the house the first person she looked for was Derek, if he had invited her, he would be with her…right?

flashback:
- Goddamit, Derek where are you? - She whispered.
- Hey, pretty lady. What are you doing here alone? - A voice behind her asked.
She turned around, and there he was, he could have been wearing the worst clothes in the world and he would still look like an angel.
- Derek! - She ran to him and pulled him to a hug. Immediately, she released him, her emotions got the best of her.
- How are you so far? - He inquired her, putting his arm around her waist.
- Fine and you? - She exclaimed, she noticed the arm but she didn't do anything.
- I'm so much better now that you are here - He winked at her and then he planted a kiss on her cheek.

back to reality
The party ended with the cops. Derek offered walking Helena to her house, she accepted. When they reached her house, he gave her a kiss on the lips and left; leaving a very confused Helena on the porch. Two days later, Helena saw Derek again; she wanted to talk to him. Derek was busy with his friends, planning more parties and such. And despise of the rumors, Derek & Lauren didn't split up. On Math class, Helena got a paper note that said:
"You looked so sweet,
I should have seen,
While I was playing for fun,
You were playing for keeps,
Derek
"

Helena was mad, she wanted to cut his head off and give him to the dogs. And she was also mad at herself, she let him kiss her. Classes passed and Helena was still furious, getting worse every second, she walked past him and he only looked at her with a pitiful glance. He was not going to feel sorry for her, nobody was.

Helena was in her locker, putting all of her books away, when she heard him shout her name. She ignored him and began walking away. He called her again… she didn't turn her head. Soon, she felt someone grabbing her arm and she turned to see who it was.
- Leave me alone! - She screamed.
- Helena, don't walk away - He begged calmly.
- You have no right to tell me what to do, I'm leaving. - She informed.
- No, please stay I have to tell you something - He pleaded.
- I think you have told me enough - She fumed, throwing him the note.
- So, you read it? - He asked.
- Yes, I hate you - She spat.
- No, let me explain - He said looking at her eyes.
She couldn't resist and she stayed.
- Look, before you give me back my heart, you must know that... If it were mine, it would be yours to take… - He began.
- But you love her, I get it - She agonized with tears in her eyes.
- I'm sorry I let down my guard - He lamented.

She thought it was the end of the relationship. But every time a party happened Derek would give her reasons to go. He would get wasted, and we'll they always ended up kissing each other. The day after, he would apologize to her, saying it was not what she thought, that it was the alcohol. Helena would always end up crying because of him, her friends had to pick her up. She was a human wreck.

Months passed, it was obvious that there was a love triangle on the school. Lauren was still oblivious about it. Derek would always give her excuses so he could meet with Helena and spend time together. At first, Helena told Derek that he had Lauren, that he shouldn't spend time with her, but Derek would tell her that they were going to break up soon.
- Derek! I'm sick of it! - Helena cried out.
- Tomorrow I'm going to break up with her - Derek answered, rolling his eyes.
- Call her now! - Helena ordered, giving him the phone.
- Why?! - He asked getting angry.
- I feel sorry for her, I mean you're with me - Helena uttered.
- Don't waste your pretty sympathy, she's gonna be just fine - Derek assured her, giving her a quick peck on the lips.
- What about us? - She demanded.
- So will we, so will everything in time. - Derek promised.

Two Years Later
Derek was still with both Lauren and Helena. He still fed Helena false promises and she happily received them. She loved the fact that Derek was with her even if he had a girlfriend. Her dream had come true; she was with the boy she had always liked. Finally, the day came, the day when Derek broke Helena's heart permanently. The day when Derek asked Lauren to marry him, it happened at a party, on a fancy restaurant, everybody was invited, and the moment Derek slipped the wedding ring on Lauren's finger, Helena exited the building, with tears on her eyes, she lived to cry.
- Helena, I'm sorry - Derek apologized.
- Funny, those words are losing effect - Helena joked, she was going to walk away on him for once and for all
- Don't walk away - He begged her.
- Just watch me - Helena announced.
- Helena, did you hear one word I said? - Derek asked her.
- For two years. - Helena fumed.
- Where are you going? - Derek quizzed her as he tried to keep up with her.
- Out of your life. - She dictated.
- You walk 'cause guys like me never sleep alone at night - Derek screamed at her, stopping to watch her leave.
- You know? I feel sorry for you - She looked at him
- I don't need your sympathy. I'll always be just fine - Derek spat at her.
- I really hope so.. - She whispered.
- You were just too easy to manipulate - He hollered.
She ran to him and hit him in the jaw, when he fell, she started kicking him. As she was arranging herself and started to walk away, she heard him whisper:
You're not that sweet.

And now, after the problems, she still lived. Lauren didn't get married with Derek, Helena told her everything, well… most of everything, Lauren wanted to hate her, but when she looked the mess she was she forgave her. As for Derek, he was still dating every girl that crossed his path, sometimes Derek would call Helena to patch things up, Helena went one last time to see him just to make sure that she had no feelings for him. When she opened the door to his apartment, Derek was on the couch drinking his problems away. He asked her for help, she stayed with him until he became clean. And then she left him and they never saw each other again.