Status: Updated 2/25/14.

Stop Believing in the Lie

Amazement

Things have gone well for May and Nicky since that night. They've gone on a couple dates and are going on a third tonight...or fourth if you count the double-date. She wants to look as sexy as possible tonight; she knows it's only been a few dates, but her and I know, there's a huge connection between them already. I went out with her to shop for a beautiful dress just hours before their date. To say she was excited, was an understatement.

"Thanks for helping me. I really appreciate it."

"No problem. I love shopping! Even if it's not for me!"

She laughed as did I.

"You know, I'm curious. Where did you get that black dress you wore on your first date with Alex?"

I smiled at the memory.

I hung up the phone and squealed in delight. When I texted May about our date, she couldn't have been more happy for me and of course, she wanted details. I looked through my closet and tried on the five dresses that I had in there until I found the perfect one, my black dress. He was going to be speechless once he saw me in this and stare at me all night, which was perfectly fine with me. Before I knew it, my doorbell rang just as I finished my hair and my make-up. I glanced at the clock on the wall in my living room as I was walking towards the source of the noise. I opened the door and a genuine smile appeared on my face as I saw Alex with a bouquet of a dozen red roses.

"Hi." I quietly said.

"Hi, these are for you." he said, handing the beautiful roses.

"Thank you. Would you like to come in?"

"Sure."

I walked inside, so he could come inside. After we were both inside and the door was closed, he looked at me from head to toe and back to my eyes, then licked his lips.

"Like what you see?" I asked, moving closer to him and wrapping my arms around his neck.

He nodded.

"Very much so. You should show more skin more often. You are drop dead gorgeous."

I blushed and kissed him deeply and I received the same kiss, which made my heart race. With his arms around my waist, a shock went through my body. We pulled away slowly.

"Ready?" he asked breathless.

"Yes. Just let me put these in water."

I picked up the roses that were lying on my living room table and walked into the kitchen and put them in a vase.


"I got it the year before I graduated college. I was on a date with my boyfriend of two years. Oddly enough, that was our last date. A week later I found out he had been cheating on me for six months."

She scoffed.

"You're a fucking bombshell! Hell, I'd date you! What the fuck was wrong with that guy? What'd he look like?"

"He had dark brown hair, the greenest eyes and the perfect smile. A lot like Marc-Andre Fleury's smile. He was perfect in every way, but I should've realized that there was something up. I mean, who is that perfect? I know I can trust Alex though. He has his flaws just like I do and is just amazing."

"You really love him. Don't you?"

"I do. I do." I said exasperated.

After smiling, we continued to look through the dresses. One in particular caused her mouth to drop. That had to be the one.

"Amelia! Come look at this one!"

Once I saw it, my mouth dropped. She quickly tried it on and came out of the changing room looking like a supermodel.

"What do you think?" she asked spinning.

"I think that it's the one. You look gorgeous!"

"Oh, I think so too!! I love it!" she said squealing and spinning again.

She's seriously one of the most amazing people I've ever met. After finding a pair of heels, we went up to the counter and made our purchases. When she was finally ready for Nicky to pick her up, I teared up a little.

"Why are you tearing up?" she asked laughing.

"I don't know." I said wiping my eyes.

"You're so strange."

"I'm sorry. It's just that...I'm so happy like a proud mama." I said laughing.

"I love you, hun." she said hugging me.

"I love you too."

A few minutes later, we heard the doorbell, so I made my way to the door to answer it with a smile.

"Hi Nicky."

"Hi Amelia. Is my date ready?" he asked with a smile.

"Yes. She is. I'll go get her for you."

I went to her door and opened it, peeking my head in.

"Your date is here." I said with a smile.

I opened it wider to see her running toward me...in heels. She's a crazy woman! Who does that?

"Are you ready?"

"Absolutely. Thanks for helping me get ready."

"Uh...my pleasure! What are friends for?"

She hugged me and I watched as Nicky's arms wrap around her, holding her as tightly as possible. I headed back home once they left and spent the night watching a couple movies since I wanted Alex to have time away from each other since we're around each other most of the week. While I was eating leftover pizza for dinner, my mom called.

"Hi Mom!"

"Hi Amelia. Come stai?" (How are you?)

"Fantastico. Come stai?" (Fantastic. How are you?

"Grande. Che succede?" (Great. What's up?)

"Non molto. Basta guardare la televisione con vostro padre. Che cosa stai combinando?" (Not much. Just watching television with your father. What are you up to?)

"Guardare film. Ho aiutato May prepararsi prima per il suo appuntamento." (Watching movies. I helped May get ready earlier for her date.)

"Aww ... come vanno le cose con lei e Nicky?" ([Aww...how are things with her and Nicky?)

"Incredibile. Lei è così felice e io non so nemmeno se io abbia mai visto Nicky che felice fuori una vittoria." (Amazing. She is so happy and I don't even know if I've ever seen Nicky that happy outside a win.)

"Sono così felice per lei! Voglio incontrare il due." (I'm so happy for her! I wanna meet the both of them.)

"May vuole davvero incontrare voi, proprio come Nicky." (May really wants to meet you just like Nicky.)

"Nicky vuole incontrare anche me?" (Nicky wants to meet me too?)

I laughed.

"Già. Certo che fa." (Yeah. Of course he does.)

"Che cosa hai detto di me?" (What did you say about me?)

I shook my head. My mom makes me laugh sometimes.

"Ho detto le cose buone. Solo cose buone." (I've said good things. Only good things.)

"Per esempio? (Like what?)

"Mamma!"

"Che cosa?" (What?)

"Sei ridicolo." (You're being ridiculous.)

"Ridicolo? Come sto ridicolo?" (Ridiculous? How am I being ridiculous?)

"Non avrei dovuto dirti quello che le cose buone che ho detto su di te." (I shouldn't have to tell you what good things I've said about you.)

"Va bene. Credo che tu abbia ragione." (Okay. I guess you're right.)

"Buono, ma ti dico una cosa. Gli ho detto insieme a May come impressionante di una madre e di persona sei." (Good, but I'll tell you one thing. I told him along with May how awesome of a mother and person you are.)

"Oh, tesoro, sei così dolce! Ti voglio bene! " (Oh honey, you're so sweet! I love you!)

"Anch'io ti amo!" (I love you too!)

"In tal senso, io ti lascio andare." (On that note, I'll let you go.)

"Ok. Ci sentiamo presto." (Ok. I'll talk to you soon.)

"Bye."

"Bye."

I hung up and sighed, relaxing onto my bed. The following morning, I woke to my phone ringing. What time was it, you ask? Eight. In. The. Morning.

"Hello?" I asked yawning.

"Hi Amelia!!"

"May, do you even though what time it is?

"Oh shit..."

"What?"

"I just looked at the wall clock. Sorry."

"No biggie. What's up?"

"Oh, not much...Nicky kissed me last night!"

I squealed. This was worth being woken up for.

"Oh my God!! When?!"

"When he walked me to my door."

"Did you kiss back? Please tell me you did!"

"Of course I did! It was so wonderful. His lips are so soft. It was perfect. He was so gentle, but you could definitely tell he wanted to kiss me."

"I'm so happy for you! How long it's been since someone kissed you?"

"Oh wow...let me think about that. I'd say seven months."

"Yikes. What happened?"

"The day after our last kiss, my boyfriend of eighteen months broke up with me because he saw someone who was prettier aka who wasn't a 'redhead.'"

"What the fuck? You've always been a redhead. I don't understand. I just don't."

"I don't either. I still don't. Men are a mystery."

"You can say that again and you really like yours."

She giggled like a little schoolgirl.

"We haven't made it official, Amelia!"

"Still. It's gonna happen. I mean, he kissed you last night. It's only a matter of time till one of you asks the other."

"Well, I'm actually ready to ask him, but I don't wanna ask too early. You know?"

"Yeah...but..."

"But what?"

"I'd just go for it if I were you. Do you see the way he looks at you? I know you guys just went on your third solo date, but go with your heart! You can yell at me if he says no."

She sighed heavily.

"Ugh...I hate making decisions. Ok. You know what? I'll ask him on our next date and I will yell at you if he rejects me."

"Alright."

After the game that night, I met up with May in the locker room.

"I'm gonna ask him." she whispered into my ear.

"And this is the perfect time, too!"

She giggled.

When she saw Nicky smile at her, she dashed over and hugged him. I walked over to Alex and sat beside him; Nicky's stall was just three down from his.

"She's gonna ask him." I whispered into his ear.

"Really?"

"Yep."

"Good for her. I know he's gonna say yes."

I smiled and leaned into him as an arm wrapped around my waist. When I knew the question was coming, my ears perked up.

"I know that we haven't even been on a handful dates, but uh...I wanted to ask you something." she said biting her lip.

"What is it?" he said taking her hand.

"I was uh...wondering if uh...you'd like to be my boyfriend?" she said gulping at the end.

I could tell just by looking at her that her heart must've been beating a million times a minute. After a few seconds, he looked into her eyes and smiled again.

"I'd love to be your boyfriend, if you'd be my girlfriend."

She put on the biggest smile and kissed him. My heart melted. I clapped loudly and felt embarrassed as I saw May and Nicky blush. I kissed Alex afterward to see if that would ease the embarrassment; it did.

"I'm so glad that I have you." I said laying my head on his shoulder.

"I'm so glad I have you too." he said wrapping an arm around my waist.