Status: Updated 2/25/14.

Stop Believing in the Lie

You Can't Deny The Way You Feel

The day after the game, I didn't have work, so I spent the day with May, who quickly became my first friend in the D.C. area that just happened to play hockey like I did. Since we went to the mall, the day before the game, we decided to head downtown for the day.

"So, are you and Alex getting along any better?" she asked.

"A little bit, but he became cocky when he saw me with his jersey on after the game in the locker room." I explained annoyed.

She just laughed and I rolled my eyes.

"Did you tell him that I picked it out?"

"Yeah..." I said, scratching my head.

"What?" she asked, looking confused.

"I told him about you and then he said I really like this girl."

"Yeah?" she asked, cocking her head.

"I asked, 'More than me?' and he said , 'I don't think I could like any girl more than you. That's impossible.'" I informed her, blushing.

"Now, I'm 100% sure you two like each other! Why can't you let your opinion of him go and get to know him?! You know how the media can be with superstars like him and Crosby! Just give Ovechkin a chance. He sounds like a genuinely nice guy and he sounds like he is crushing on you and not being a goddamn womanizer!”

"I can't!" I whined.

"Amelia Lily Cantioni! That is not a reason!"

I groaned. She used my full name.

"He's... he's... icky!"

It was this time that May rolled her eyes.

"Whatever, but there will be a day when you realize that you like him and you'll want to go out on a date with him."

"I'll think about it." I said as we walked into a Chinese restaurant for lunch.

AFTER LUNCH

We were driving around town when I saw Alex and a few of his teammates walk into a music store. May, who was in the passenger seat, nudged me in the ribs when she saw them across the street.

"Ouch! What was that for?" I winced in pain.

"You know! You saw a few players from the Capitals too!"

"Are you saying that you want to go inside?"

As we reached the stop light, I sighed and began to think.

"Please Amelia?" she pleaded with me.

"Alright. I'm only doing this for you."

"You're the best!"

I drove into the nearest parking lot and parked before we walked over to the store where they were in. When she saw them, she instantly became shy. I laughed as we stepped inside.

"Why are you so shy all of a sudden?"

"Because I've never met any hockey player before."

"You'll be fine because I know these guys. They are great guys."

"Especially the guy you have a crush on." she whispered.

"I don't have a crush on him!" I whispered back.

"Sure. Sure. Believe the lie."

I rolled my eyes.

"Come with me."

She smiled really wide and followed me to where the guys were. I could've sworn that I saw Alex stealing glances and I had to bite my lip, so I wouldn't smile, but I still knew that 'you know who' would probably notice me smiling.

At least I could try.

"Hey, Alex." I said sarcastically as I approached Alex, Alexander Semin, Nicklas Backstrom and Brooks Laich.

"Come to visit me?" he asked.

"No. I'm only here because my friend May wanted to meet you guys."

She shyly waved.

"She's a little bit shy, so you'll have to excuse her."

That's when she elbowed me in the ribs again.

"Will you stop that? It hurts!"

They all laughed.

"Is this the friend you were talking about the other day?" Ovi asked.

"Yes. This is her."

"Hi." she squeaked.

They shook hands and she couldn't be any happier. I just shook my head. She decided to hug me once she met everyone.

"You have no idea how happy I am that you're my friend."

"So, you're coming with us to the next away game that's in Philly?" Alex asked.

"Yep. Of course. Same plane and everything." I said giving him a knowing look and perhaps, a hint of a smile.

"Was that a smile I saw?" he asked.

"Yes. Now, shut up."

"Will you two just kiss already? Jeez!" Semin exclaimed.

"I know, right?!" May high-fived him.

"That is never going to happen! Sorry guys, I have to go. Come on, May."

"I'm not going."

"Whatever. You can catch the bus back to your apartment, then."

She still didn't move, so I just stormed off and made my way to my car across the street. I was going to drive back to my apartment and spend the rest of my miserable day there. When I reached my car, Alex, who had been annoyingly chasing me, grabbed my hand.

"What? What the fuck do you want? Why can't you leave me alone?" I shouted at him.

"You have to listen to me and stop running away."

"Let go!"

"No! Stop acting like a child."

I pouted.

"I hate you." I said.

"No. You just think you do."

He grabbed both of my hands and I tried to pull away, but soon enough, I gave up and let him say what he wanted to say.

"I like you and you like me, but you're too scared and too stubborn to admit it. You need to learn to let go of any pre-conceived notions you have 'bout me and simply let go."

I took a deep breath and looked into his crystal blue eyes. He was serious and he was telling the truth.

Why did I have to be so stubborn? Why is it so hard for me to let go?

All of a sudden, I felt his lips on mine and I kissed back, knowing it was the natural thing for me to do.

"Now, don't you feel better?" he asked.

"You have no idea... well, actually you kinda do." I said with a smile.

"I love being right."

"Don't get so cocky, Mr. Ovechkin."

He let out on an evil laugh. I kissed him on the cheek, which caused him to blush.

"Are we finally together now?" he asked me.

"Yes. We're finally together. Sorry for being such a bitch..."

"It's part of who you are and I couldn't force you to be with me when you weren't even ready."

"Thanks for understanding. This feels much better now and I won't hate wearing your jersey anymore."

He smiled.

"That is so awesome!"

"Anyways, is there anything you want to do? Wait... I ditched May. She's gonna hate me for ditching her." I said groaning.

"Things will work out the way they're supposed to. Don't worry."

"How are you... so carefree?"

He shrugged.

"I'll call her."

He nodded.

"Hey..."

"WHY DID YOU DITCH ME LIKE THAT?!" she yelled in my ear.

"I'm sorry. I do stupid things when I'm mad. I won't do it again. If it makes you feel any better, Alex and are I together now."

She squealed.

"Oh my God! That is great! Give me details."

"I'll give you details later after I spend the rest of the day with him. I'll see you tonight, loudmouth. Do you want the car or what?"

"No. Since you'll be with him, I'll catch a ride with a few Caps and no need for names. I will see you tonight."

"Bye."

I hung up and smirked.

"What's that for?"

"She's catching a ride with your friends and you get to spend the rest of the day with me."

"I've been waiting for that almost all week."