A Simple Salute

A Simple Salute

"How are you feeling?" Matt asked, sitting on the edge of his daughter's bed. Nicole shrugged, pushing the covers away as Matt placed a soft hand on her forehead, "You still have a fever," He sighed and took a bottle of medicine from the night stand and pouring the thick syrup into the spoon. Nicole grimaced as the gasoline-like liquid ran down her throat, "You should stay in bed," He suggested and she shook her head.

"I'm supposed to go to the studio with you!" She protested. She was legally an adult now, but any opportunity to go to work with 'Daddy' made her as ecstatic as a three year old. It had been almost a year since she had been to the studio with Matt, mainly due to her busy schedule with her senior year. Having top grades and getting ready for the rest of her life meant a lot to Nicole, and she wanted to succeed.

"Sweetie, you're sick and you have a fever. Don't you want to rest?" He questioned, brushing a few strands of hair out of her eyes. She stubbornly shook her head no, and if Nicole were standing up, she would have stomped her foot as well.

"I haven't seen the guys in forever, Dad!" She complained, "And I can rest at the studio too. There's a couch," She had tried to convince him, earning a chuckle out of her father.

"Knowing you hanging out with your Uncle Jimmy means that no matter how many couches in the room, you won't rest at all," He told her and she sighed, knowing it was true.

"I can't stay in this house all day. You're cutting me off from the world! I want to go spend the day with you, Dad. I don't want to stay here alone," She pouted and Matt had reached his breaking point. He had a soft spot for his daughter, and what his baby wants, his baby gets.

"Okay, but you'll be taking medicine ever hour and if you get too bad, I'm taking you to Urgent Care," He scolded and she nodded in agreement, knowing her simple fever wouldn't get too out of hand.

The summer morning was hot, meaning the studio would be even hotter. With the band refusing to relocate to a newer studio, they've decided to stick to their roots and record in the same building as they always have. An air conditioning unit had been in the works to update the old building in downtown Huntington, but the band was too busy to follow through with the plan.

Since the day would easily reach ninety, and Nicole was burning up as it is, she dressed in a pair of gym shorts and a thin v-neck to keep her temperature cool. She didn't bother straightening her mouse-brown hair, so she tied it up in a loose bun and pinned her bangs back.

Downstairs, Matt packed a bag with all of Nicole's necessary medicine she would need for the day. He packed a few bottles of water, as the studio held nothing more than a couple bottles of Jack Daniels and some beers. He also took it upon himself to pack her some crackers, a sandwich, and some snacks. A day at the studio meant take-out, and Matt didn't want his daughter's stomach to overturn with boxes of Chinese food.

Nicole met her father downstairs, her laptop and iPod in her purse, and a few books to keep her occupied. She took the pre-made bag from her father, not without a roll of her eyes, and followed him out to the Range Rover parked in the driveway.

The Range Rover had been a gift to Nicole for her high-school graduation, but she never got around to driving as much due to her coming down with an intense fever. Matt, on the other hand, took much joy in driving the truck better than his Escalade. Nicole didn't mind, though, she wasn't much for driving anyways. She had always opted out for running and walking somewhere, instead of driving. When the journey was too far, she settled for her bike.

When the car pulled into the familiar parking lot that Nicole had almost forgotten, her heart jumped with joy. It been ages since she had seen her dad and uncles at work, and she was excited to get back into it for the Summer. It had been months since she's seen her uncle Johnny, and even longer since she's seen Jimmy. It hadn't been long since she's seen Zacky, a few weeks tops. Her uncle Brian she saw often, due to the fact that he lives right down the block and that her aunt Michelle had often popped over to pay her favorite niece a visit.

"Nicole!" Jimmy had screamed, scooping his niece into his arms and spinning her around. He swayed her back and forth, earning giggles to escape her chapped lips.

"Jimmy, will you be careful with her? She's sick," Matt shook his head as he got ready to enter the studio. Jimmy merely stuck his tongue out at Matt, to enhance the fact that he was much more of a child than Nicole.

"Are you feeling alright, Nicole?" Zacky came over to examine her medical state, hoping she wasn't burning up with the heat of the studio. The doors and windows were open, but hadn't cooled the building down by much. He put a hand on her forehead and checked her temperature, "You're burning up. Do you need anything?"

"I'm fine uncle Zack, really," She assured as she sat down on the couch, giving her other uncles hugs and pulling out a book she had been reading. She made it through a few pages before she noticed Johnny reading over her shoulder. A small chuckle brought him out of his reading daze.

"Enjoying my book?" She asked and he laughed.

"What's it called?" He questioned.

"The Soldier's Return," She answered, "It's about a man who comes home from war and struggles to get back into normal life."

"And you want to read depressing stuff like that?" He questioned and she returned with a smile.

"It has a heartwarming ending and it proves courage and optimism in our country," She explained and he laughed.

"Whatever you say," He shrugged before getting up to play some parts with Jimmy to practice for the booth. Leaving her back to reading, she cuddled up and read a few pages before becoming very tired.

As Nicole closed her book, a pain shot through her neck and to her head. She cringed, causing Matt to cut off vocals and to speak into the mic, "You okay, Sweetie?" He asked, concerned with he look on his daughter's face.

"It's a paper cut, Dad. I'm fine," She lied and he nodded, cuing the music back in. Nicole lay down on the couch, pushing some pillows underneath her head as she drifted into a deep sleep.

Twenty minutes later, when Matt had finally sung the chorus in the correct manner, he stepped out from the booth and checked the time. It was one and time for Nicole to eat lunch. He walked over to his sleeping daughter and knelt down in front of her. He suddenly noticed her pale demeanor and shaking body. Sweat droplets fell down her forehead and her skin was hot all over, "Nicole," He shook her, but she didn't wake, "Nicole!" He tried again, but no answer. He sat her up, and she still did not respond, "Guys, help me get her to the car," He ordered and immediately the others were behind him, grabbing her stuff and opening the door for Matt as he carried his daughter outside.

When Urgent Care finally took Nicole to the back, it was the start of a long waiting process. Matt had allowed the guys to leave, but something told them this was serious and promptly stated they weren't going anywhere. In a matter of minutes, Nicole's aunts were in the room as well. Michelle, Gena, Leana, and Lacey all waited anxiously.

After two hours, a doctor finally came out to speak with the family waiting for answers, "Mr. Sanders," He called and he stood up, "Well, her vitals were fine and the only abnormal thing was her fever. We diagnosed her with dehydration and nerves. We know a lot has been on her mind since her last visit with us," He explained and Matt nodded.

"Will this effect anything else?" Matt questioned and the doctor shook his head.

"The fever should be gone by tomorrow, but she'll be ready to go in two weeks, as planned," Matt thanked the doctor and awaited Nicole's release, hoping to make these next two weeks last.

That night, Matt and Nicole sat on the couch, a tub of ice-cream between them as they watched The Marine, "You ready to leave?" He managed to ask and Nicole sighed, shrugging.

"I'll miss you, Dad, you know that," She answered and he nodded.

"I know, Sweetie, but you have to understand this is hard for me," He added softly and she nodded her head in response.

"I know it's been hard, especially since you lost Mom too, but we can't avoid the inevitable," She said, "Sometimes fate takes us places we don't usually plan for," She told him and he nodded.

"I know we can't avoid it, but I can't help but worry if you're going to be okay," He let out a deep breath, "You may be an adult now, but you'll always be my baby girl," He added and she gave a little laugh.

"I know that," She responded and he sighed, running a hand through his hair and shaking his head.

"Nicole, I can't help but ask but... Aren't you afraid to die?" He asked and she shrugged.

"It happens... it happens," She answered, "At least it'll happen with pride."

Matt pushed the tears to the back of his eyes, "C'mere," He whispered and pulled his daughter into his arms, cradling her there as the end credits rolled onto the screen. It wasn't fair that he was losing his daughter so soon, and he would be lying if he said he wasn't scared. He loved his daughter more than anything, and letting her go was hard.

The next two weeks consisted of Matt taking time off. He would need all the time with his daughter before he left, and the guys had understood. Putting the band on hold wasn't a big deal compared to what was happening to the Sanders' family.

They had taken time to have deep conversations and understand each others perspectives on lives. Matt had thought of life as something you could control, simply because he had always been in control. Matt had always got what he wanted- a successful band, a loving wife, and a beautiful daughter that made his heart swell with pride, "What was Mom like?" Nicole questioned one night and Matt sighed. He had never really talked to his daughter about her deceased mother, but now was a better time than any.

"She was a beautiful woman, and you remind me of her more and more each day," He paused, taking a sip of the water in front of him, "She had this big brown eyes that you could get lost in, with long eyelashes. The same eyes and eyelashes you have," He smiled and Nicole couldn't help but blink a few times, "She was a loving mother and would do anything for you. You were the light of her life and ever day of her own life was dedicated to you," He put a hand on hers, "And she would be so proud of you if she were here."

Twelve hours later, Matt stood in front of his daughter, tears pouring out of his eyes. At this moment, he wasn't afraid or embarrassed to sob anymore. He let it out, choking on his sobs that shook his body. Brian and the other guys had put their hands on his shoulders, trying to soothe his pain. The girls huddled around each other, tissues being passed around the small circle of women. Their salty tears mixing with each others comfort, "Everything will be alright, Dad," She assured but he shook his head.

"I can't lose my baby girl," He took his daughter in his arms and held her tight, "Not now," He whispered and she shook her head, smiling.

"I'll be back," She paused, "I won't make promises, but I'll try my best to be home by Christmas."

He pulled away and glanced down at his daughter. The Humvee was waiting for her, and she was spit-shine in the camouflage uniform and bucket hat perched on her head with not a hair out of place. She stood an half an inch taller with her boots on, but regardless, she was still his little girl.

No matter the fact she was eighteen, graduated, mature, or the fact that she was now a Marine- she would always be his daughter.

Matt dreaded the day this would come, and had hoped that two weeks ago, the doctor hadn't cleared her medical exam for her to be released to Iraq. He felt this was unfair, but at the same time he was proud that his daughter had chosen to devote her life to her country. He couldn't be happier, and he couldn't be sadder.

"I love you, Dad," She said and he wiped his tears away.

"I love you too, Nicole."

"I'll see you at Christmas," She stated firmly.

As a final goodbye, Nicole stood up tall, straightening her shoulders, and bringing her hand up to her forehead.

With a final salute, she was gone.
♠ ♠ ♠
first contest entry. idea's been in my head for a while, so it feels good to finally get it out. :)