Butterfly

Chapter 3

I walked in the door, trying to hide the smile on my face, knowing that if I looked happy I soon wouldnt be. I was glad to see that my stepdad was passed out on the couch. My mom was on the computer, she gave me a weak smile, but I could see she was hiding something. I gave her a weak smile back. I hadnt eaten all day, so I grabbed a slice of pizza along with a paper plate and ran upstairs. My phone's normally on silent when im home to avoid any conflict. I checked it and I already had one missed call and five unread messages. All of them from Roku. He was wondering if I had made it home safely. I answered saying that tonight was oddly peaceful. He was happy to hear that. I fell asleep thinking about nothing but him. Tonight just seemed perfect. No one could ask for more.

*The Next Morning*

Walking to the busstop, I had an imense amount of butterflies in my stomach. I had never been so nervous to see anyone in my whole life. I felt this huge urge to smile as soon as I saw his face. Roku ran up to me, smiling from ear to ear, and gave me the biggest hig on the planet. We held hands althrough our classes, and lunch, and on the way home. Something in me told me not to go home right away, so I didnt. Instead I went to the park again. There's a trail in the park the leads into the woods and cuts off once you reach the river. Its quiet and seriene. Its my favorite place to do photography because of its seemingly magical beauty.

While walking, Roku and I talked about usual things. For instense, what we hoped to be doing this weekend, where we'd like to be in 10 years, and our very wildest dreams. We finally reached the river, took off our shoes, and dipped our bare toes in the water. It was so peaceful. For a moment, we forgot to talk to each other. I chuckled at the whole thing and he just smiled. And for the first time in about 20 minutes, he spoke, but it wasnt anything I wanted to hear. "So, what are you going to do about your stepdad?" I stared down at the water. My mouth tightly clenched, but I replyed anyway. "Im not sure. There's not a whole lot I can do. My life isnt exactly mine, you know that." He looked dissapointed at my answer. "If you're afraid of calling the cops, I understand why. But you have to do something. I hate to see you like this." I didnt know what to say after that, so I just rested my head on his shoulder. "Alex, i've loved you ever since I was old enough to have any compicated emotions." All I could do was smile. He's the sweetest guy I will ever know. How could any of this go wrong? Walking back throught the forest, we sang one of our favorite songs ("Not Alone" by Saosin).

I wasnt sure what I was going to come home to, so I insisted that I walk to rest of the way home by myself. To my surprise, another uneventful night. No one was home. I could sleep in relative peace and quiet.

I wonder how long this will last.
♠ ♠ ♠
To the readers of this story, thank you so much for following this! I know ive been slow on updating chapters. It takes me a while to think of their direction and finish them. But thanks a ton fo being so patient! I love all my readers and commentors, and I hope that you keep supporting what I enjoy doing.

Love, Courtney a.k.a LuLu