When Angels Cry

Strangers

“Bella Swan has the personality of a tree! Stop being so fucking stuck up on her!”

Jacob growled low in his throat in warning. It still hurt. The fact that Bella chose a fucking blood sucker over him. And the pack-Paul in particular- never let him forget it. Even now on one of their “off days” Paul was getting on his nerves. Tumwater was slightly bigger than Forks: the people were by far some of the friendliest people Jacob had ever met. And the sky today was a rare, brilliant blue. Something Washington natives weren’t used to seeing. But Jacob didn’t care. Everything was drab to him. All because Bella had to go with an anorexic Nazi! What the hell!!

Paul stretched beside him, his legs popping from being stuck in the cramp truck for so long. “Fuck man …we need to get a new truck.”

“Yeah,” Jacob replied. His voice was raspy from not speaking as much. He leaned back on the stone edge of the park fountain, watching the people in the park. There was a creepy ass clown making children giggle, a couple female joggers giving Paul and him the lustful, appraising eye, and a couple lying down on a bright blue blanket going at it. Lucky son of a bitch.

Paul sighed. “You’re not going to get over this any time soon huh?”

“I’m amazed at how smart you are,” Jacob seethed.

“Look man…you’re like my brother ok. And I’m telling you this for your own good…she ain’t worth it. If Swan wants to be a monster let her ok?”

“You know I can’t.”

Paul shook his head. “I’ll see you in a few.”

Jacob cast his friend a baleful eye, watching Paul as he stood up, gazing after the bustier jogger. “Just go fuck Miss Baywatch there and be quick about it.”

Paul smirked. “I will,” he said with a wink, trotting over to the joggers who had slowed down. Jacob sighed, closing his eyes. God someone shoot him. First snap Edward Cullen’s neck in two, if at all possible. Then shoot him if it’s not.

“Are you ok?”

It was a simple question and the owner of the voice was female; it had an accent, Midwest if Jacob had to guess. He opened his eyes to see an unusually short girl (5’0’ at least) staring at him with concern. She was kind of cute to be honest; shoulder blade length brown hair pulled into a loose, semi-messy ponytail, bright green eyes, jeans, and a slightly Hawthorne Heights tee to match her black Converse. She had a small black purse slung over her shoulder, one that had seen better days. But not Bella. She would never be Bella.

He nodded and the girl raised one eyebrow (freshly waxed at least by a day, judging by the faint smell) in disbelief. “Forgive me for being too forward but,” she paused, head cocked to one side as if pondering how to voice her concerns, “you look like you’re about to kill yourself.”

Jacob snorted. “Understatement of the century,” he grumbled.

“May I ask why?”

[Because the girl I love is going to give up her soul to become a blood sucking monster. Because no matter what I do I can’t get her to realize just how much I love her! Because loving a giant wolf is just oh-so- dangerous as no doubt that Cullen bastard’s told her. Yeah …excellent reasons]. “Drama. Lots and lots of drama involving a stone cold bastard and a gorgeous, loving girl.”

The girl nodded and sat in Paul’s spot, staring up at him expectantly, waiting for him to continue. Not that Jacob wanted too. This was a complete stranger here. But she had something about her; an aura that he could talk to anything about her. Well…ok not [ANYTHING] but…if he kept everything as normal as possible it would be all right right?

Jacob sighed again, shaking his head. “Sometimes it’s like bashing my head against a cement wall with her. I love her…I fucking love her…but she can’t see how fucking [BAD] this guy is. And-”

“Did you beat him yet?” she interrupted.

“Huh?!”

“Beat him? Did you beat him yet for being such an asshole?”

Jacob couldn’t help but laugh at that. It was a tiny chuckle, nothing more and nothing less, but it made her body language visibly relax from worry. “Man I would [love] to do that. But…it would cause so many fucking more problems. Not that I care but-”

“-You don’t want to hurt her?” the girl finished quietly.

“Yeah.”

She nodded, looking deep in thought. “Moving on from her isn’t a question,” she whispered, looking at him for conformation. Jacob nodded. “And then there’s not much you can do then except just being there. It’ll be hard. And if anything should happen to her it’ll probably tear you apart but…be there. If this guy is as bad as you say he is, she’ll realize it and come back to you.

“And if not…it’s her choice. Just don’t go all psycho killer on her though…”

Jacob snorted. “I’d rather go all psycho killer on the asshole.” He looked down at the petite girl and cracked a tiny smile. “Thanks for listening.”

The girl nodded, a smile lightening up her face. “No prob…?”

“Black. Jacob Black.”

“Bailey Montecio.”

Jacob looked up; from off in the distance he could see Paul come jogging towards him, could hear the sound of grass being crushing by the guy’s shoes. Bailey followed his gaze. “Well I have to go. Nice talking to you Jake.” She stood up, stretching her arms in the warm sunshine.

“You too,” Jacob replied watching her walk off.