Status: Active - Slow updates

The Disappearing Cottage

as idiotic as it may sound

I don’t know who I was expecting.

I thought that I had let go of that hope years ago, the one that my parents would one day return. But I was wrong. In these few seconds as my hand reaches for the knob, I realize that somewhere inside of me, I still want it to be them. I can feel my heart fluttering, wishing as hard as it can.

Of course, it’s not them.

Instead I find a boy. Tall, pale, with dark hair. I may have been in solitude for the past few years, but I still know that he is not of this planet. There is no one that looks like him.

I open my mouth so say something, but suddenly he pushes past me and runs into the house. I wonder if I should panic, and if I should do something about this. Then, for a second, I lose the ability to speak.

“I’m not here to hurt you,” he says, slamming the door shut and closing us in.

“Why…” I start to say, and then forget what comes after that. It’s been so long since I’ve seen a person, let alone talk to one. I still don’t know if I should run. Of course, there is the matter of where I would run to…

“I’m staying with you now,” he says. I almost laugh at the way he says his words. I have to think about what he said twice before I can understand them. Then I realize how rude and arrogant he is.

I clear my throat. “And of what right do you have to do that?”

He gives me a puzzled look. Maybe he doesn’t understand me. He obviously doesn’t speak this language very well. “Look, I’m a prince, okay? I don’t know how to deal with things like this, or people like you. I just need a place to stay for now.”

“Well…” I hesitate. From what my parents have taught me, royals are to be feared. They have power, and they can do anything they want. Still, this just doesn’t sound… right.

“There’s no other option. You might as well just show me around this place.”

I blink, staring at him. When I don’t move, he just sighs and runs his hand through his hair. The gesture brings unexpected warmth to me. My father used to do that, I realize. And as idiotic as it may sound, it is the first thing that leads me to trust him.