Status: Finished

Boy Next Door

Epilogue

Standing up in my beloved nose-bleeds, hearing crowd count down the last seconds of the game, I could feel my heart pounding. I don't think I have ever been this nervous in my life. Not even waiting for Marc to show up when I was about to give birth to our now three year old son, Jayson.

"5....4...3....2...1," I could hear myself whispering. The buzzer went off signaling the end of the game. Everyone in the stadium starting jumping around, screaming like maniacs, and hugging and high-fiving the random strangers next to us.

I quickly made my escape, sprinting through the empty hallways, down the stairs, and through secret passageways that would take me down to the ice. I just hope I don't miss anything important. It's a good thing I'm a fast runner.

I made it down to the entrance just in time as the Conn Smythe was brought out. I squeezed through all the WAGs that I decided not to sit with at the game tonight and up to the front where Pamela Girardi was with Landon and Jayson. I took Jay from her arms and laughed at my little boy, who had giant noise reduction head-phones on. The stadium quieted down as Gary Bettman came out to announce the MVP of the Stanley Cup Playoffs.

I couldn't understand the speech he made. I was too wrapped up in the thought of what was going on. That it finally really happened. They had been close for the past four years, but they never actually did it. They hadn't won the Stanley Cup. Not until now.

"And now I would like to award the Conn Smythe trophy to Brandon Dubinsky!" Gary Bettman announced. I cheered as loud as I could for my best friend. I could hear Ashley yelling somewhere behind me, too. I started to watch Dubi skate around with the trophy, but quickly got distracted when the Stanley Cup was brought out and placed on the table. All the history surrounded by that thing put me in awe. I couldn't imagine how they felt about it.

I security guard came by the door where the WAGs were to let us onto the ice before the Cup presentation. I quickly slid my way over to Marc, who wrapped me and Jay into a bone crushing hug. The smile on his face was huge. The only other times I've seen that smile were when we got married and when Jay was born. It sounds tacky, but it's true.

"I'm so proud of you," I whispered, just loud enough so he could hear it.

Gary Bettman made his speech about how hard the Ranger's worked, comeing back from a three nothing deficit in this game alone. Honestly, I was so proud of all these guys. They all worked so hard to win this thing. They deserved it.

Captain Cally skated up took the Stanley Cup, after posing for a picture, and hoisted it above his head. The place erupted into cheers. I couldn't help but notice the tears of happiness in some of the players eyes.

Marc took Jay from my arms as he waited for his turn to take hoist Lord Stanley. I nudged my elbow into Marc's side, throwing a nod towards Ashley, Brandon on one knee, a ring in his hand, in front of her. I decided I would congratulate them later, letting them enjoy the moment. Marc then threw a nod towards Lauren and Michael, who both had a hand on Lauren's non-existent baby bump. I would congratulate them later, too. The only thing that would make this moment any better was if Matt and Nina were here, but they moved down to Tampa together when Gilly got signed by the Bolts, but they were getting married later this summer.

The Cup made its way around and finally got to Marc. I took Jay from him and watched as he acted like a child playing with the best toy in the world. Then he did something I wasn’t expecting. He grabbed me and Jay and had the three of us lift the Stanley Cup together, as a family.

“I love you Dannie.”

“I love you, too, Marc.”

“I love you Jay.”

“I love you Jay.”

“I love you Daddy. I love you Mommy.”

“Marc, this is crazy.”

“What? Us winning the Stanley Cup?”

“Well, yes, but no. To think that you used to just be a boy next door.”
♠ ♠ ♠
Well guys, it's really over. I'm kind of sad that it's over. And congrats to Marc and Lindsey getting married! I know I'm late but... Oh well! Thanks for all the readers who stuck around throughout the entire story. I would thank you all individually if I could. What would you say about leaving a comment, one last time?

Keep an eye out for my new Brad Marchand story. It probably won't be out for a while, but it would mean a lot it you pre-subscribed.

Thanks so much guys!