Thank You.

1/1

“Momma, I didn’t mean to make you cry,” The little girl toddled over to her mother, wrapping her little arms around her mother as best as she could, burying her face into her mother’s legs. Shelby Corcoran smiled down at the little blonde girl. She reached down, picking her up and moving to the sofa, sitting down and putting Beth on her lap.

“Sweetheart, you didn’t make me cry. I was just thinking of something happy, that’s all.” She said, smiling at her adopted daughter through her tears.

“But Momma, if you were thinking of something happy, why are you crying?” The toddler asked, looking up at her mom with confused eyes. Shelby laughed quietly, wiping away some of her tears.

“These are happy tears, baby.”

“Oh. Why are you happy crying, Momma?”

“I was just thinking of someone who gave me the best present in the world, and they make me happy.”

“What did they give you, Momma?”

“They gave me you, darling.” Shelby said softly, kissing Beth’s forehead. The girl beamed, and Shelby was struck by how much the young girl looked like her real mother. Her blonde hair fell around her face in soft ringlets, and her hazel eyes were bright and sparkling. It was true that Shelby had only met Quinn once, but she could never get over how much she owed the young woman.

Beth wriggled to get down, and Shelby put her on the floor gently, letting Beth run back to her toys. She watched her, biting her bottom lip and closing her eyes. Her thoughts wandered back to Quinn, which was what had started her on crying in the first place. She wondered if it would be weird if she tried calling her. She opened her eyes, looking back at the beautiful little girl near her.

I got my chance to see Rachel. Quinn deserves her chance to see Beth. Shelby thought, making her decision as she got up and moved to the phone. She quickly dialed Rachel’s number, one she had memorized two years ago when she first met Rachel in person. She glanced at the clock; 4 in the afternoon. Rachel would just be getting out of class. Perfect.

“Hello?” Rachel’s voice was confused; she hadn’t recognized the number.

“Rachel? Hi, sweetheart. It’s me, uh, Shelby. Mom.” Shelby hadn’t thought about how awkward this conversation might have gone; she hadn’t spoken to her daughter in two years, not since their last conversation at Regionals where she had told Rachel that she was retiring.

“Hey, Mom.” Rachel’s voice went soft, and Shelby could see the smile she was wearing. It was the same one that she had seen after she had finished making Rachel’s Gaga costume. It was soft and full of adoration. It made Shelby smile and broke her heart at the same time.

“How have you been, sweetheart?” She asked, unable to stop herself from keeping this conversation with her biological daughter going. She couldn’t help it. She loved Rachel, no matter what she had said or done.

“Good. Glee club is going to Nationals this year,” Rachel said proudly. Shelby smiled.

“Are you still getting solos?”

“Of course.”

“That’s my girl.” As she said it, Shelby felt the tears coming back. This was her girl. She started to feel herself regretting everything she had done to Rachel, and she shook her head. Now was not the time.

“Uh, not that I’m completely ungrateful that you decided to call me, but was there something you wanted?” Rachel asked hesitantly, almost as if she was afraid she was going to offend Shelby.

“Yes, actually. Is Quinn around?” She asked, starting to feel nervous. This is ridiculous, she thought. You are a grown woman. You should not be afraid of a girl in high school.

“Quinn? Yeah, she’s right here. Uh, hold on.” Shelby could hear the confusion in Rachel’s voice and understood it.

“Hello?” A quiet, soft voice came through the phone, much different from Rachel’s.

“Hi, Quinn. This is Shelby, the old coach from Vocal Adrenaline?”

“I know you. You’re Rachel’s mom.” Quinn said, almost like she was suspicious.

“Right. This might sound strange, but, uh, would you like to see Beth?” Quinn fell silent, shocked and stunned. Shelby could hear Quinn’s sharp intake of breath.

“H-how could I do that?” Quinn whispered, her voice full of hope and pain.

“Do you guys have rehearsals today?”

“Y-yes, but Mr. Schue was just going to work with the boys on their number. I was going to help Rachel…” Shelby smiled slightly.

“Just stay at the school. Alright?”

“O-okay.” Shelby hung up the phone and smiled, moving away from the phone and scooping up Beth.

“Come on, sweetheart. We’re going to go visit someone very special.”

“Who?” The young child’s voice was full of excitement, and it showed in the way she clapped her hands and grinned a toothy grin.

“Your real mommy.”

Beth giggled, clapping her hands together again.

“We’re gonna go see my other mommy?” She asked, looking up at Shelby. Shelby smiled, nodding. She had told Beth before that she had been given Beth by her real mom, and while Beth was completely accepting of it (as most three year olds were of things) she often asked questions about Quinn that Shelby hadn’t been able to answer.

Maybe Quinn will be able to answer her questions. Shelby thought, moving towards the front door.

“Yes, sweetheart. C’mon.”

~*~

Shelby walked up to McKinley High School, holding hands with Beth.

“Mommy? Where are we?” Beth’s asked, looking up at Shelby.

“We’re at your mommy’s school, sweetheart.” Shelby walked down the hallway, searching for the choir room. She listened carefully, hearing Rachel’s voice come floating down the hallway. She smiled slightly, following her daughter’s voice until she found the Glee room. She stood in the doorway silently, shushing Beth with a finger to her lips. Beth nodded, watching Rachel sing.

Shelby watched her daughter singing, giving it her all. She wouldn’t expect anything less from the young woman, but it nearly brought tears to her eyes to think that that was her girl, singing. That was her baby. She waited until Rachel was finished before she made her presence known.

“If I were still coaching, I would be a bit worried we might lose to you.” Shelby said, walking into the room. Beth hid behind her, holding tightly to the back of Shelby’s shirt, staying hidden for the time being.

Rachel and the other girls in the room jumped, all turning to look at Shelby when she spoke. Rachel beamed at the compliment.

“Thanks.” She said, staying where she was.

“Mrs. Corcoran?” Quinn asked, standing up and moving down from her seat at the top of the risers. Shelby smiled gently, waving a little at Quinn.

“Hi, Quinn. Sweetheart,” Shelby said, shifting her attention to the little girl who was clutching her shirt. “This is your mommy.” Beth stepped out from behind Shelby shyly, looking up at Quinn. Quinn gasped quietly, echoed by everyone else in the Glee room. Quinn took a step forward, and Shelby gently pushed Beth towards her.
Quinn knelt down in front of the young girl, smiling widely.

“Hi, Beth. I’m Quinn.” She said softly, feeling tears brim in her eyes. Beth beamed, wrapping her little arms around Quinn’s neck, hugging her.

“I know you. You’re my mommy!” She exclaimed, causing Quinn to start crying. She wrapped her arms around the young girl, holding her tightly.

“Someone should get Puck,” Mercedes murmured, and Tina quickly left, heading onto the stage to find the girl’s father.

Shelby stood back, watching as Quinn interacted with her daughter. She bit her bottom lip, smiling slightly as she watched the teenager react to Beth. She seemed so…happy. Quinn was laughing through her tears, tickling Beth.

“They’re so happy together.” Shelby glanced to the side where Rachel was now standing next to her, her eyes on Quinn and Beth. Shelby knew the rest of that sentence without it having to be spoken.

Why weren’t we ever that happy?

Shelby looked at her daughter, exhaling before wrapping her arms around Rachel’s shoulders, pulling her close to her and resting her head on top of Rachel’s. She could feel Rachel’s hesitation, but finally Rachel’s arms wrapped around Shelby’s waist. Shelby smiled, kissing the top of her daughter’s head.

“I’m sorry,” She whispered. Rachel looked up at her, tears in her eyes and a smile on her face.

“I’m not.” She said, hugging her mother once again. Shelby smiled, hugging her not-so-little girl again before pulling away slowly. Rachel let go, wiping away her tears and beaming up at her mother. They both turned back to Quinn and Beth, watching as Puck slid into the room, looking around before grinning, quickly walking to Quinn and Beth. He sat down next to them, watching his daughter with admiration.

For a brief second, Quinn’s eyes met Shelby’s. She smiled, mouthing thank you before turning her attention back to her boyfriend and her baby.

A smile tugged at the edges of Shelby’s lips. She wrapped her arm around Rachel’s shoulders, resting her head on top of Rachel’s again. Rachel smiled, leaning into her mother’s touch.

No, Quinn. Thank you. Shelby thought, glancing down at her daughter, promising herself that she wouldn’t abandon her again.
♠ ♠ ♠
uh, yeah.