Status: Active; Like the new layout?; Comments, please?; This story is near the end ...

The Black Limousine

Chapter 11

I had stayed home the rest of the day, changing my clothes and just sitting on my bed in the room I still shared with Keith and Luke.

“What happened?”, Keith asks, as he walks in, sitting down next to me.

“I fed.”

“Oh.”

“It gets worse.”

“Oh, I’m sure it does,” Luke says sarcastically, rolling his eyes. I roll my own eyes, their vivid red as I had taken out the contacts.

“I killed her.”

Everyone went silent, as I tried to ignore it, distracting myself by reading. “She’s out by the side of the school. Bloody, but in one piece. Her arms are crossed, and hopefully she’ll make it.”

“You okay?”, Keith asks quietly.

“I cried, but I’ve been handling. I’ve gone down to the library, reading some of those books. And I went hunting and had a few wolves.”

“We should move.”, Luke says gravely.

“No need. Nobody would suspect a tiny fourteen year old girl to be able to kill a black-belt English teacher.”

“How do you know that?”, Keith says, frowning.

I shrug, continuing to read the lame Twilight book. “Might I say, that Twilight does nothing to how vampires really are.”

“Stop trying to change the subject.”, Luke says, grabbing the book. I glare at him, reaching under my bed to grab my grandfather’s journal.

“Maybe I just don’t wanna talk about it, Luke.”, I say unemotionally, trying to read the story of my grandfather’s life. “And you read minds, right Luke?”

“Yeah …”

“That’s how.”

“What?”, Keith says, grabbing the book. I roll my eyes, pointing out where he should read.

“Plain as day, if I’m changed by a mythical creature, their powers are gifted to me.”

“What do you know, Kristina’s a mind-reader!”

“Let me see that,” Luke says, grabbing the book.

“Easy, now! That’s McPhee property!”

“Sweet! Kristina’s a real mythic now!”, Trevor says, popping up next to me. I jump, startled. “How’d I scare you?”

“Not sure, you were hiding under my bed.”

“Yes! She really is a mind-reader! And what am I thinking now?”

“That I’m a mind-reader … and about …”, my eyes went wide, as I ran for the bathroom. “Warn me next time, little miniature perv!”, I yell, puking into the toilet.

“What was he thinking?”, Keith asks, standing by the doorway.

“Something I wish I had never seen!”, I say, disgusted flushing the toilet. I run into the bathroom, tackling Trevor. “I’ll tell Anna, unless you promise never to think that again.”

“You wouldn’t.”

“I would.”

“B-b-but —”

“No buts! Promise! No! Swear!”

“Fine! I swear!”

“Alright,” and I hopped off his back. Trevor glares at me, rolling his eyes. “But I’m still telling,” and I was off. Trevor ran after me, even as I passed Anna’s bedroom and ran straight down the steps. “You’ll never catch me alive!”

“You’re not alive!”

“Oh yeah …”, and I was running again. “You’ll never catch me undead!”

“That’s more realistic!”, Luke yells from atop the steps. I barely noticed it, too concentrated on running. I duck just as Trevor jumped over me, fangs outstretched. I smirk, running immediately outside. I could hear Trevor follow me, as did Keith and Luke. Just incase we got out of hand, I think, dodging once again as Trevor jumped up into the air.

“Ha! Centuries of hunters and huntresses come in handy after all!”, I say, smirking as I start running through the maze of trees. I jump up into the trees, looking around as Trevor was just below me. I jump from tree to tree, laughing as Trevor stays below me, even as I flip and do other tricks in between trees.

“Stop being a show off!”

“Nah!”, I say, sitting up in the tree. “It’s too much fun.”

“Fine, then I’m coming up.”, Trevor says, jumping up. I smirk, laughing as I ran from tree to tree.

“Still won’t get me!”

“But I will,” Keith says, wrapping an arm around my waist. “Gotcha,” and he jumps down from the tree.

“That was a nice game of chase, but lets get back to the house before Anna and Phil get suspicious.”, Luke says, smirking.

“Okay,” I say, smiling as I flip back into the trees. I go jumping from tree to tree, smiling and laughing, until I reached the end of the thick forests. I jump up, toward the top of their house, just sitting there for the moment. I hear the sounds of someone coming up, seeing Keith climb up on the roof.

“Whatcha doin’?”

“Watching.”

“What?”

“The sun.”

“Why?”

“Complicated,” I sigh, climbing down and into the window of our room, with Keith soon following.

“We’ve got all an eternity to work out complications.”

“That’s one of them.”

“Huh?”

“I don’t feel dead.”

“That’s because you’re undead,” Luke says sarcastically, rolling his eyes as he studies.

“I don’t even feel undead.”

“That’s because you’re still in the half and half stage. You’re still alive … kind of. But you’re not a full vampire.”

“And I thought I was supposed to have uncontrollable cravings for blood. Not having cravings for ice-cream, pizza, and everything else I ate. I get tired, and I still get sick. And I’m —,” I cut myself off, blushing probably the darkest red imaginable. “The only thing that makes me think this whole ‘transformation’ is working, is my eyes, speed, and strength. Everything else still seems human.”

“Yeah, yeah, I see what you mean.”, Luke says, rolling his eyes as Anna, Phil, and Trevor come running through the door.

“Top of the day,” I say sarcastically. “How’s the lovely eternal honey-moon couple doing?”

“She’s human,” Anna says, frowning.

“And you can’t see me.”

“You’re psychic.”

“Doesn’t make a difference. Sort of like if I were to bite you right now. Nothing would happen.”

“Then you explain why I can’t see you.”

“Maybe because you don’t want to,” I say, rolling my eyes. “I’m the heir to a hunter. A born huntress.”

And she was silent. I rolled my eyes, standing up to walk toward the window. “I can hear everything that you all say.”, and I was out the window, on the roof, staring at the sunset. I climbed to the highest point of their “castle,” just sitting there and enjoying the view as I ignored them.

“Kristina!”, Keith yells, climbing out the window.

Over here, I think, smirking as he turned around toward me. They’re debating on whether or not to move, kick me out, or just move me to the woods? I guess sarcastically, watching as Keith climbed up toward me, sitting down beside me with his arm around my waist.

“Anna wants you out, Luke, Trevor, and I say you stay. And Phil says you clean up your act, or he’ll kick you out personally.”, Keith says sadly, sighing.

“It’s not like I planned on draining her. If I could go back, I would’ve ran straight to the woods.”

Keith leans back, bringing me with him as I lie my head on his chest. “But maybe I should leave. Just to gain self-control.”

“It’s harder if you leave, Kat.”

“Kat?”

“I heard your friends back home call you that, but since I’m dating you, I’m calling you Kat.”

“Aw, how sweet,” I say, kissing him. Keith smiles, pulling me on top of him.

“Tell me something, Kristina,” Keith says, smiling at me.

“Tell you what?”, I ask, staring up at him with a smile on my face.

“You’re family’s psychic?”

“Apparently.”

“So … tell me about the future. What do you see whenever you see the future?”

“I’ve never actually seen the future.”, I admit sheepishly. “But I used to see you and Luke.”

“Really?”

“I was like four. I didn’t understand. I drew pictures …”, I say absentmindedly. “But I’d see you two … doing all kinds of things.”

“You drew pictures?”

“They aren’t that good. The dreams stopped by the time I was six, and I had forgotten about most of them.”

“But you drew me and Luke?”

“Kind of,” I say, laughing. “I guess that was as close to the future as I got.”

And as I said that, images started flooding my mind, too fast for me to keep track of. “Fights, war … love, forbidden … laws broken … death, lots of death.”, I say, trying to say as much information as I could to Keith. “A great war of fire and ice. When they clash, death is in store. Swords …”, I say, focusing harder, until my head started hurting. I grunt, squeezing my eyes shut. “Too much.”

“Kristina?”, Keith asks worriedly.

“That hurts.”

“You just saw the future.”

“Kind of. It may have just been random messages. But I kept seeing death. And it was everywhere.”

“It’s okay,” Keith says, kissing my forehead. “Maybe that’s just your subconscious telling you something.”

“Hopefully. From those images, life on earth is about to get a make-over.”

It’s psychic … a voice says in my head.

Who are you? I think, running through the possibilities.

“Krist—”

“Shh,” I say, focusing on tracking down this voice. I close my eyes, feeling like I wasn’t with Keith, like I was being pulled toward somewhere else.

“Hello, Kristina,” the voice says, as I felt something run straight past me.

“Who are you?”, I say gravely, glaring as I try to follow the movement I was hearing.

“Why not make this a little game? Predator to predator.”

“I don’t know what you’re talking about.”

“Why, you’re grandfather’s journal. He mentions me in it, you know.”

“Thanks. That’s all I need.”, and I was off, speeding through, unable to see anything as I was soon back with Keith. “I have to find something out.”

“What, where were you?”

“Not important,” and I was climbing through the window, grabbing my grandfather’s journal right out of Anna’s hands. “Busy,” I call over my shoulder, sliding down the staircase. I run into their library, flipping through the pages of my grandfather’s ancient book, even as I grab many others.

“What are you doing?”, Keith asks, staring at me oddly.

“I have to find him. I have to figure this out.”, I say determinedly, flipping through the millions of names, memorizing them. “’Predator to predator.’”

“What are you talking about?”, Keith asks, grabbing the grandfather’s book straight out of my hands.

“Give it back!”, I whine, trying to grab it out of Keith’s hands. “I need it, Keith!”

“Not until you tell me what you’re doing.”

“I can’t. Not yet. Not until I know whether he’s something to worry about!”

Who is he?”

“I don’t frickin’ know,” I growl, grabbing the journal. “Excuse me while I figure out my mystery. He knew my grandfather.”

“So, what?”

“So?! He knows about me! He knew those visions … they were psychic.”, I say, speeding through the library.

“Drake Coy. Another mythic hunter. ‘Predator to predator.’”, I say, squeezing my eyes shut as I felt myself go back to the place I had spoken to him.

“Back so soon?”

“Who. Are. You.”

“This is a fun game. Isn’t it?”

“What kind of game? You’re a mythic hunter, are you not? How can you live this long!”

“You’re annoying, are you not? How are you still alive!”, he mocks, mimicking me. “For every morning, a new rose blossoms.”, he says, handing me a rose.

“I-I —”

“Just take it. It will go back with you.”, and I took the red rose.

“Who are you?”

“Wow, you’re annoying. Just as George said.”

“He was crazy,” I say through my teeth. I felt something tugging me back, and could hear him chuckle.

“Sounds like your boyfriend wants you.”, and I was gone again, zooming back into the library.

“He knew him, he survived. He wasn’t normal!”, I say quickly, standing up and out of Keith’s grip.

“Kristina!”, Keith says, grabbing the books out of my hands. “Stop!”

“No! He knew my grandfather! He knows me, somehow! I have to figure out who he is!”

“Kristina! What if he’s just messing with your head? What if he’s a ghost? A figure of your own imagination.”

“He’s not! I’m not frickin’ crazy, Keith!”, I growl, grabbing the books and continuing to read. I grab the journal, reading back from page one.

~•~•~

“Lets go, lets go. Someone’s seeing ghost!”, Drake yells, dark brown hair in his eyes, eyes I had never gotten a good look at. “George! C’mon!”

“I’m coming, I’m coming! Hold your horse, Drake!”, George says, his horse galloping slowly up the hill. “Go!”, and the horse was off, running up the hill, past Drake. The rain was pouring, soaking them both, along with their weapons. The protectors of the village.

“Faster, faster!”, Drake yells, soon catching up to George.

“Dad! Dad!”, a young boy, John, yells far behind them.

“Go home, John!”, George yells behind himself, galloping away from the hill, in which the young boy stayed.

“But I want to help!”

“No! Now, go home to your mother!”, George’s voice roared.

“Then why are you working with a —,” and a lightning bolt streaked the sky.

“John!!”, George yelled, running back up the hill with his horse, which was running twice as fast. There, dead, was his son, John, his brown eyes open, the pupils dilated.

~•~•~

“Impossible,” I breathe. “That’s just not possible … I’m a descendant of John Charles McPhee …”

“What did you see?”, Keith asks, shaking my shoulders.

“I’m not human … I’m not human …”, I repeat dazedly.

“She’s right, you know. George Henry McPhee had two sons and a daughter. The daughter died while we were there, and one of the sons died. He got struck by a lightning bolt.”, Anna says, walking in.

“Drake Coy,” I say quickly, glancing up at her.

“Doesn’t ring a bell.”

“He’s better than I thought. Well, now I know who he is.”, I say, flipping through records. “Aha! Drake Coy, 1642. He was a mythic hunter. No kids, and mysteriously vanished.”, I say, concentrating. “C’mon, John, you were in the middle of saying something … tell me.”

“He’s a dragon,” a boy says, popping up beside me. I jump, startled, looking around quickly.

“A ghost of my ancestor,” I mutter, rolling my eyes. “Dragons … dragons …”

I find a book, quickly pulling it out as my eyes read through the pages. “Ahuh, dragons like to play games. And they control all sources of heat. He killed my ancestor.”

“And now you are the descent fallen angel.”, John says, smiling.

“Yeah, yeah, go back to once you came.”

“Not until you stop those visions of yours.”

“Just go.”

“Fine,” John grumbles, turning around and disappearing.

“Gosh, Drake was right. I am annoying.”

“I can hear you!”, John’s voice yells.

“Yeah! Good!”

“You’ve gone insane,” Phil says, staring at me oddly.

“Nope. I’m a fallen angel. I’m psychic, and I can mind-read. And, who I’ve recently been looking for is a dragon, who passed for a hunter to spare his life during Salem. His name is Drake Coy.”

“She’s not crazy. I see whatever she sees.”, Luke says, walking in.

“That’s what you are! Fallen angel! Fallen Angel dei non morti e di magia!”, Trevor says, smiling at me. “It explains your eyes.”

“Ahuh, yeah, funny,” I say absentmindedly, continuing to read. “Trevor! Over here!”

“What?”, Trevor asks, rolling his eyes.

“Read this for me.”

“Why me?”

“Because you remind me the most of a dragon.”

Anna and Phil give me odd looks, but Trevor was able to read the odd scripts of the dragons and translate them to me.

“Great,” I say, smirking. “Now, hold on, and be quiet!”, I say fiercely, sitting down Indian-style. Drake? I think quietly, squeezing my eyes shut. Nothing. Drake!!!

You work fast.

You better show yourself. I know you’re here.

Ah, but this is the beauty of the game.

Trevor’s still here, idiot.

You sound just like John. The annoying boy.

Then why don’t you silence me with a lightning bolt. I’m right here. You can see me. It should be easy.

Silence. I smirk, opening my eyes and standing up. “He’s here,” I say, looking around. I sniff the air, feeling something like an electric charge go straight through me. I shiver. “He knows.”

“What are you babbling about?”, Keith sighs, rolling his eyes.

“A dragon with anger-issues. And the savior of Annabella Rebecca Vane-Blake.”, I say, smirking.

“Huh?”

“He works in secret. Right, Drake?”

“Right!”, his voice yells. “Oh, crap.”

“Oh, yes.”

“Annoying little demon,” Drake says, popping up next to me.

“Murderer.”

“Annoyance.”

“Traitor.”

“Idiot.”

“If I’m such an idiot, and so annoying, why haven’t you killed me?”

“Maybe because I’ll be killed shortly after.”

“Or maybe because you don’t want them to find you.”

“I did what I did to survive.”

“But you enjoyed it. You enjoyed the thrill of killing your own kind.”

“Maybe I did.”

“Good enough for me,” I say, shrugging. I go running around the library, soon finding just what I was looking for. “’Dear Annabelle’ —,” and the book was snatched out of my hands. I look up at Drake, smirking. “You’re scared.”

“You have no purpose going through there.”

“I live here.”

“But you’re not one of them.”

“Who says. You creeper.”

“You’ve gotten stronger.”

“You’ve done the same,” and I hopped down from the book shelf. “Everyone, meet my now legal guardian, Drake Coy.”, I say, scrunching up my nose. “My parents signed contracts,” I grumble.

“And now she’s coming with me.”

“Nah-uh! Where were you when she was in the hospital, practically on her own death bed!”, Keith says, raising an eyebrow.

“Outside the window.”

“Stalking is a crime.”

“I was making sure you didn’t kill her yourself.”

“Keith, don’t push your luck. He’s a friend of the family.”, I grumble, laying my head on the table.