Status: Active; Like the new layout?; Comments, please?; This story is near the end ...

The Black Limousine

Chapter 26

Luke’s POV

I just needed to get some answers. I was sure that Annabella was worried, but I didn’t quite care at the time being. Drake would keep Keith away from Kristina, which helped soothe my nerves about that.

I was still driving around in my stolen car, getting frustrated with my dead-end clues. Where could she be? I think with irritation.

My phone suddenly rings, and I knew it was Trevor. He was the only one who knew my number since I changed it a week ago. “What’s up?”

“Dude! Kristina got hit by some truck!”

“WHAT?!!!” The car swerves fiercely, nearly hitting another car before I quickly realized what I was doing.

“Drake thinks Kristina committed suicide. Benjamin and Francis are blaming the driver. Sarah thinks that it was a whole ‘Wrong place, wrong time’ thing. Lindsay’s just been wondering what Kristy was doing out after midnight when she was grounded.”

“What about you? What’s your theory, Trevor?”

“I dunno. Kristina’s been acting really funny. She hasn’t hardly spoken to anyone for over a week. She’s kinda like a robot. I actually think it was an unplanned suicide.”

“What’s her condition right now?”

“We don’t know. A lot of bones were supposedly broken, and she definitely got a concussion. We’re still waiting for the doctor to tell us all of the damage.”

“I’ll be there in a few minutes.”

“DUDE!!! Drake will murder you!”

“I don’t care. Kristina’s hurt.” I turn off the car, opening the door, and hopping out. I could get there faster if I ran.

“Alright, dude, it’s your funeral.”

• • •

“How is she?” I ask as I make it to the hospital just a little over an hour later.

“Luke!” Annabella jumps to her feet to hug me. “We’ve been worried about you!”

“The doctor’s talking to Drake right now. We’ll know in a minute,” Trevor says, fidgeting awkwardly, “I think it’s not gonna be good.”

“Damn,” I say, running a hand through my hair. What the hell was Kristina doing out so late, anyway? If only I had been there. Then I could’ve stopped her. I know I could’ve. But, I didn’t.

“I’m surprised Kristina’s stalker didn’t just push her out of the way,” Sarah says, sitting beside her older brother, Francis, “I mean, Kristy would be in debt to him for practically saving her life.”

“Keith’s busy with other things,” Annabella snaps. Calmer, she said to me, “Come on, Luke, I bet you’re starving.”

“I’m fine.” I roll my eyes. Annabella always felt some kind of responsibility toward me. I don’t really understand it. If I wanted to, then I could’ve moved out, and been on my own a long time ago.

“How long has it been since you fed?”

“I’m not leaving,” I growl. I knew that was all she wanted. Annabella didn’t like Kristina, therefore wanted to get away from her.

“Fine.” Annabella was fuming as she walked away.

“Oh, great job, Luke! Mom’s pissed!” Trevor says, “Maybe I could bunk with Kristina?”

I would’ve loved to tell him, “Don’t even think about it.” — but I didn’t have any right to say it. Kristina wasn’t even my girlfriend. Trevor wasn’t as perverted as he used to be, too, so I guess I wouldn’t have to worry about her getting raped. He’s been a real friend to her.

Drake came back, but stopped when he saw me. He growled, and I knew I’d have better written my will.

“Well? How’s Kristy?” Benjamin asks impatiently.

“She’ll live. She broke some bones, got a concussion, but is fine otherwise. There wasn’t any real damage. She should wake up in a week or so.”

“That’s good,” Trevor says, standing up, “When can we see her?”

“In a couple of days. She’s still unstable. The doctor says he wants to wait until her breathing is normal.”

Crap, I think, Kristina, what the hell were you thinking?

“Is she responsive?” Lindsay, Benjamin’s older sister, asks.

“They don’t know yet.”

I bet I could find out, I think, a plan forming in my head. Everyone sighs with relief, beginning to walk away. I was the first out, not willing to feel Drake’s wrath after what happened the last time.

• • •

I walk into the hospital room, feeling like my heart was suddenly torn into two. Kristina had wires for everything, and she looked completely broken with just a single glance at her. I pull a chair close to her bedside, sighing deeply. What to say?

“Kristina?”

No answer. I try reading her mind. She was just kind of dreaming. But, about what? I saw my face, but for only a second. There was someone else … a little girl. She looked like a younger version of Kristina, only about seven or eight. She grinned as I chased her around. Then I caught sight of her eyes. They weren’t the pale green of Kristina’s, but a dark brown that flashed red for only a second. I waited patiently for a name, but couldn’t help the chuckle that escaped as Kristina came up from behind me and held me down as the little girl got on top of me. She grinned down at me, saying, “I got you, Daddy.” And I laughed. Finally, I got a name: Danica. Her name was Danica.

I was finally pulled out of Kristina’s dream, and back into the depressing hospital room with her. There was a small smile forming from her lips, which had an air tube. I tuck a strand of her auburn hair carefully behind her hair.

“Oh, Kristina, what were you thinking?”

The dream continued. There was a boy there … he looked about thirteen. He looked like a younger version of Keith. He didn’t exactly look … happy. But, he didn’t look furious either. I’m not sure what you’d call that. Sad, maybe? Kristina looked up at him, and her face fell. His name was Toby. She asked him what was wrong, but he shook his head. He walked into the house, and Kristina got up to follow him before I stopped her.

• • •

I hadn’t realized I had fallen asleep until I had awoken. I yawned quietly, and looked over at Kristina. If I hadn’t known that she had gotten run over, then I would’ve thought she was sleeping. She looked so peaceful. Her dream was still going on. It seemed like some kind of vision. It was so vivid in her head.

The doorknob to the room jiggled, and I jumped to my feet. Crap. If I get caught in here, then they’re sure to tell Drake, who will most definitely kill me. I look around. There was a bathroom attached to this room, thankfully, and I hid in that swiftly. I pressed my ear to the door, and listened intently.

I heard a sigh, and footsteps walking over to Kristina. “You always are looking for trouble, Kristina,” Keith says quietly. I felt angry. I wanted to strangle him. But, I wanted to see where this was going. “You really shouldn’t have walked in front of that truck, Kat. That was a really stupid move. You scared everyone. But, you know what I think? I think you deserved this. Actually, I think this is still too kind for you.” I growl quietly to myself, hoping that Keith didn’t hear. “Knowing you, you won’t stop at this. You won’t stop until you’re dead.”

With that said, and a deep sigh, Keith seemed to have calmed down. “I don’t know why you’d leave me. I was good to you, Kat, and I love you.” Am I the only one who noticed that he used present tense? “I gave you back your confidence, and I kept you safe. I made sure that nobody hurt you. I stood by you when you were sick and stuck in the hospital. Damn it, Kat!!! What did I do wrong?!” He took another breath to steady himself. “I love you, Kat, and you’re not leaving me. I don’t care what I have to do, but I’ll get you back.”

I roll my eyes. I waited until I heard the door close behind him, and then I walked out to make sure Kristina was okay. It didn’t look like she was any worse. “Are you okay? Did Keith hurt you?” I ask quietly, momentarily forgetting that she was unconscious. I checked for any bruises or cuts that would signal Keith trying to harm her. “I won’t let anyone hurt you, Kristina, I promise.”

I look into her mind, watching as the dream changed into a nightmare. No. I won’t let that happen. Keith won’t get anywhere near Kristina as long as I’m alive.

• • •

I had been here for close to a week. Of course I’ve gone home to shower and change clothes. That’s just disgusting. Anyway, Kristina’s condition isn’t much better. Neither is mine. I’m almost dying of thirst, but I refuse to leave her. I feel like that if I left her, then Keith would grab her. I couldn’t let that happen.

I start humming, singing softly to her in hopes that she’ll wake up. I’ve been doing this for awhile. No one but Trevor even knew I was here, which was alright. Trevor wouldn’t betray me.

Kristina’s mind was probably the most interesting place in the past week. I’ve concluded that she’s having a vision of some sorts, and probably won’t remember any of it when she wakes up.

“Come on, Kristina, wake up.”

That’s not my name, I hear her think as the vision slowly disappears, Luke?

“I’m right here.”