Hopeless

The Young and the Hopeless

My head hung low as they moved us through the line. We were so tightly compacted, that it made it hard to breathe. The air was hot and muggy. Today was moving day. Something that they did every couple of months so that we wouldn't get too comfortable with the people we were with before.

"Hey, you! Keep moving!"

I was shoved, and went flying towards the floor. I felt hot coals begin to burn into the side of my face, and begin to scream.

They left me there for a second, making sure I felt the pain. They laughed as they brought me back up, and not because they were trying to be kind either, but because if they let me die and burn there, that would be one more soul lost.

Your probably confused, and write now, your ready to lay this book down, or close out of it. And if you want to, then fine. But, if you do, then you'll never understand what really happened. How we got out of one of Earth's worst catastrophe's.

It was the year 2012. The year that the world was supposedly, supposed to end. Most people didn't think that to be true though, and it turned out it wasn't.

Something worse happened.

It started off good. And I mean really good. Wars stopped, countries ended their feuds, practically no one was homeless. I mean, we were so united, it basically came to the point where the Earth had one government and we shared the same currency. It was great.

But then, one day, something changed. Natural disasters started occurring everyday, and not the small minor ones that you were used to. I'm talking about 5 tornadoes all happening in the same area, earthquakes that broke off states, and hurricanes that lasted for days and destroyed everything in their path.

Our government quickly went crazy after that. The wars started up again, but this time, it was 10x worse. People started killing people, not to protect other people, but to protect themselves. Some said that it was the rapture, and that Jesus was coming to get His people. It was something widely believed to. But Jesus never came. There was nobody claiming to be Him either.

Then, the government was over thrown, and someone new, named Lucifer, took over. He, and his men had this idea that anyone who didn't believe in God must be killed at once, and anyone who did, must remain in these camps. Sort a like the one Hitler used for the Jews.

So, one by one, we were evacuated out of our houses and sent away, separated from family and friends.

Their goal was simple: to make us lose all hope and faith. If we did, and we stopped believing, then they could kill all of us off with no problem.

And I refused to let that happen.

XXX

I was thrown into a cell hours after waiting in line. It was somewhat of a relief, but not a huge one.

They close the iron bars behind me, and locked them. Not that it would be a smart thing to do if I tried to escape. They would just place me under maximum security. Not that I have ever been there before, but I've heard crazy stories about that place, and it does not seem like somewhere I wanted to be.

I looked around at the people in my cell. The people forced to be my roommates for the next few months until we were forced to move again.

They didn't like it when you stayed around with people too long. Eventually, you begin to trust them and become connected with them. Once, a group of people started a riot. They were all separated individually and never heard from again of course. But it just goes to show, that when people have a bond, they can accomplish anything.

There was a boy, about 19 by the looks of him, sitting on the floor in the corner. His clothes were ripped, his face was dirty, and his hair was messy, but here that was the usual. His eyes were a bright, alarming green though, which was something that stood out. Beneath the dirt, his skin was light, yet tan from being under the sun. He was small too. Well, small for a boy, but that was expected. The boys here usually didn't get very muscular, and when they did, the guards were sure to keep a good watch on them.

Speaking of muscular, there was another boy, pacing across the floor. His skin was dark, and his hair was curly. He didn't look much older either. Just about 17. Maybe older maybe younger. You could never tell how old anybody really was these days. But one thing about this dude, he was built. It was a definite that the guards were going to be watching out for him.

The last person here was a girl. Her eyes were hazel, and her hair was long and black. She kept it back in a messy ponytail. She was shaky. Like a lot of people were when we first got in here. She looked scared too. Which was weird. I mean yeah, we were scared, but the look of fear in her eyes was different. It was like she knew something the rest of us didn't.

"Okay, since were going to be here for awhile, might as well get to know each other." The built one said, finally stopping his pacing. "Mine name is Intense." He looked over at the boy in the corner.

"River." He said looking up. Then he turned to miss-shakes-a-lot.

" Uhm...Cherish." She said taking a second to think about it.

It was obvious that they were all using fake names. Around here, nobody had any real use for their real names. I mean, if you wanted to find your family, then sure, but chances are that they were already dead, or lost among the millions of other people. If you were lucky, maybe they escaped.

I ran through all the names I had to choose from. Then something popped into my head.

They all looked at me, waiting for my answer. I looked back and simply said:

" Hope."