Something About You

1/1

She was new. That much was obvious, with the way she fiddled with her books and her locker, trying to juggle them all while reading the combination she had written on her hand. I smirked slightly. She was pretty, a nice face, plump lips, slim figure. She could have been a Cheerio if she had gotten here her freshman year.

“What are you thinking, Puckerman?” Azimio asked from behind me.

“I’m thinking she’s on the top of my to-do list.” I said, turning around to face the rest of the football team. They were all looking at me with expressions that ranged from disbelief to appreciation.

“If you can get her to sleep with you by the end of the week, I’ll give you $50.” Azimio said, smirking. It was Monday. That was going to be a piece of cake.

“I don’t think having you sleep with her is a good idea. Santana might kill her. You saw how she acted when you dated Mercedes.” Finn pointed out, shrugging his shoulders. The kid had a point. The new girl was pretty. I didn’t really want Santana messing that up.

“Hudson’s got a point. Fine. If you get her to kiss you, I’ll give you $25. If you can’t, you give me $25.” Azimio corrected himself, smirking at me. I rolled my eyes. This was too easy.

“Watch and learn, boys.” I muttered, pushing off my locker and walking towards hers.

“Hey there. Need some help?” I asked, startling her. She glanced up at me shyly, looking back at her still-closed locker.

“Uh, no thanks. I’ve got it.” I chuckled.

“Doesn’t seem like it. Here, let me help you.” I said, gently grabbing her hand to check the combination. I turned back to her locker, spinning the dial and wiggling the locker. It popped open easily. I grinned, letting go of her hand.

“Thanks, uh…” She said, looking up at me again.

“Noah. But you can call me Puck.” I said, giving her my signature smirk before sauntering off. This was going to be a piece of cake.

As luck would have it, I had a few classes with the new girl. This was going far too well. I sat next to her in math, quickly explaining what we were doing to her so she wouldn’t get lost. She thanked me, using my first name and not Puck.

“So, what’s your name?” I asked her, smirking down at her. She was so small, I had noticed.

“Billie Mae.” She replied, flashing me a smile before turning back to her math.

“Pretty name for a pretty girl,” I said, smiling charmingly. It was a cheesy line, but it worked every time.

“Do you say that to every girl you meet?” She asked, glancing up at me with an arched eyebrow.

Apparently it didn’t work this time.

“No, just the pretty ones.” I replied quickly. She rolled her eyes, turning back to her math with a shake of her head.

Maybe this wouldn’t be so easy.

~*~

She became friends with Hummel and Berry and the rest of the original Glee kids. Of course. They quickly convinced her to join Glee club, and while she often refused to sing alone, she would join in on group songs, laughing and joking with Hummel or Tina in the background. She would never talk to me though, not unless I talked to her first. This was all backwards. I was supposed to be the one being chased, not the one chasing. This was weird for me.

“So she’s not throwing herself at you. It’s not a big deal.” Finn said to me Wednesday night as we sat in his house, playing Halo.

“I don’t have $25 to give up, Finn. It doesn’t make sense. Why wouldn’t she be throwing herself at me? Every other girl in school does.” I said, my forehead wrinkling in confusion.

Finn glanced up at me. “Every girl except for Rachel, Mercedes, Tina, and Brittany.” He pointed out, turning back to the TV with a smug smile on his face. I rolled my eyes.

“They don’t count.”

Finn just shrugged. “You’re gonna have to really try with this one, I guess.” I groaned. As much as I hated to admit it, Finn was right. For once.

~*~

The next day, I came into school fully prepared. After leaving Finn’s house, I had thought of the only way I could to win over girls. I was going to serenade her. It had worked with Rachel and Mercedes, and Rachel and Mercedes were impossible. It had to work.

I talked to Schuester before school started, letting him know that I wanted to perform something in class. He was surprised, but he let me. I skipped English class, one of the classes I didn’t have with Billie Mae, to practice. I had picked something by John Mayer. The guy knew how to sing and how to woo the ladies, so it was perfect.

Finally, Glee club rolled around. I sat in the back, my acoustic guitar in my lap.

“Puck asked if he could share something today, so we’re gonna see his performance. Show some support,” Mr. Schuester said, clapping his hands together as he moved out of the way, allowing me to take the stage.

I pulled a stool to the center, sitting on it and starting the tune of the song. My eyes scanned the crowd, and I smirked when I found her, sitting between Hummel and Mercedes. Perfect. I waited until she made eye contact with me to start singing.

Back to you, it always comes around, back to you. I tried to forget you, I tried to stay away, but it's too late, I sang, my fingers strumming over the chords easily. I kept eye contact with her, watching her as I sang. I didn’t stop looking at her, not through the entire thing, not when Rachel actually sat up and listened, not when Quinn smiled slightly, and not when Santana glared at me. I just kept on looking at Billie Mae, willing this to work.

Back to me, I know that it comes back to me, doesn't it scare you, your will is not as strong as it used to be. I finished the song, letting the ending chord hang in the air for awhile. Mr. Schue started clapping first, and the rest soon followed, standing up and grinning proudly at me. I didn’t pay any attention to them, just kept my eyes on Billie Mae. I watched as her resolve broke down, and she gave me the slightest smile, clapping too. It took everything in my power not to smirk.

Bingo.

After Glee club, I made sure to take extra time to pack up, letting everyone leave the choir room. I watched as they left, in pairs, in groups, until finally it was just me and Billie Mae.

“You’re really good.” She said softly, starting the conversation. I smirked, replacing it with a grateful smile before turning around.

“Really? Thanks. That means a lot, coming from you.” I said, putting as much genuine emotion into it. She smiled shyly.

“Really?” I nodded.

“Yeah. I’ve heard you in our group numbers. You’re not half-bad yourself.” I said, shrugging and turning back to my stuff. I slung my guitar over one shoulder, putting my backpack on the other.

“Will you help me with my locker? I just can’t get it to open.” I smirked again, replacing it with yet another sweet smile before turning around.

“Sure. McKinley lockers are crap. Lucky for you, I know how to work them.” I said, grinning.

She smiled, laughing quietly.

“Lucky me.”

I followed her out into the hallway, checking my watch. Detention had just ended, which meant if I timed this right, Azimio and the rest of his goons would be walking out right as Billie Mae kissed me. This was going to be perfect.

I helped her with her locker again, leaning against the one next to it as she got the books she needed. We chatted for a bit, and I turned my flirt on. It was now or never.

“So, any boy tried making a move on you?” I asked her casually. She glanced up at me and shrugged.

“No, I guess not. No one but you,” She added, grinning teasingly. I laughed.

“Good. That’s how it should be. I like you and the other guys know it.” I saw her eyes go wide and she started blushing. She quickly turned back to her locker, reaching in for something she didn’t need.

“Really?” Her voice was soft and quiet, and if I hadn’t been paying attention, I would have missed it.

This is a cinch.

“Really.” She turned to look at me, her eyes lit up.

“How do I know you’re not saying that?” She asked suddenly, her face darkening and her eyes becoming guarded.

Perfect.

“If I was just saying that, would I do this?” I asked, leaning in and kissing her softly. I could feel her hesitation, but it wasn’t long before she was responding. She gently touched my cheek, and I smiled into the kiss. It wasn’t a half-bad one, either.

From behind us, I heard loud talking and stomping feet.

Right on time, boys.

“Nice, Puckerman!” I heard applause coming from behind me, and Billie Mae jumped, letting go of my face and pulling away. I shot her an apologetic look before turning and smirking at the guys.

“You win. I’ll have your money tomorrow morning.” Azimio said, shaking his head.

“This was a bet?”

Ah, crap.

I turned around, fully prepared to explain myself. However, she didn’t give me any time. She slammed her locker door shut and promptly slapped me in the face, calling me an ass and storming out.

“Sucks, dude,” Someone said from behind me. Normally I would have just laughed it off and turned around, leaving with the guys, but I just stood there for a second, rubbing my cheek.

“Shake it off Puckerman, it happens all the time. C’mon.”

If it happens all the time, why in the hell does it hurt worse because it was her?
♠ ♠ ♠
uh, yeah. sorry that it sucks, billie.
the ending just kind of...happened.
adf;akdf;a
written for the lovely billie mae.
the song he sings is back to you by john mayer.
i'm sorry if you hate it / me.