Status: Completed.

Saving Sloane Winters

O N E

Glastonbury College for Girls
Woodridge Upper Campus

YEAR 11 ADVANCED ENGLISH

Year Level_______11
Term___________3
Year___________-2008
Student Name____Sloane Erin M. Winters
Teacher Name__-- Mr. Robert Harrington

Task_________-__Letters
Aims_________-__To put feelings, thoughts, and emotions into words through letter format.
Date Due_______-_N/A
Monitoring Date___Throughout the term

CONDITIONS
Students are allowed to give the letter to the person it was written to if they wish to do so.
Unlimited teacher input (In the form of written and verbal feedback)
Unlimited student access to electronic and print resources
Unlimited resource of parents, family and peers

School policy on absence, illness and plagiarism will be adhered to strictly.

Student Name_____Sloane Erin M. Winters
Date_________-___Tuesday 19th July, 2008
Task________-____Letters

To Mr Harrington,
I'm going to put my feelings, thoughts and emotions into words through letter format-- just like the assignment told me to do. You know what else it tells me?
THAT THIS ASSIGNMENT IS A WHOLE LOAD OF BULLOCK!
I've heard from a confidant of mine (Bess Osztreicher) that you're not even going to read or correct our work! Which, mind you, is what normal teachers do!
What is the whole point of this assignment anyway? Shouldn't we be doing this in Health class? I'd ask Miss Frayser if she'd like to take over the assignment, since we're doing interpersonal relationships.
So, if you're not even going to check our 'letters', then how is this to help in Justine Mahon's journalism career? What if she does not get the job at Herald Sun or Vogue because of her poor grammar, spelling etc. Wouldn't you feel terribly guilty, that you held one poor girl of her dreams because of this stupid assignment?!
Think about that, Mr Harrington!

Sincerely,
Sloane Winters.

Comments (For your teacher to fill out)
Sloane, this assignment does have a point. It is to put personal feelings and opinions into writing, which if Justine does pursue the job in Herald Sun or Vogue will certainly help her. I won't feel guilty for holding off Justine's dreams, because she will certainly follow the journalism path-- because she will be able to put personal things into writing, which this assignment will benefit in.
Your confidant, Ms Bess, has the wrong information-- although it is somewhat correct. I will only give you feedback if you wish me to do so, as these are personal letters; some students may not want me to read them, and I respect their privacy. But I at least expect three letters for me to check, correct and comment on.
You might put your feelings and emotions onto a blank canvas with paint, Ms Sloane, but this assignment is to put them into words, which--if I may add-- you have done in this letter too. Well done.

Mr Harrington
♠ ♠ ♠
Wake up in the morning feeling like so shitty, get a glass of orange juice and then I turn on the telly. Before I turn it off because I'm so bored, and then turn to the news and oh my Lord! Because Julia Gillard is Prime Minister!