The World Is Still Sleeping, While I Keep on Dreaming

One Step at a Time

"Empire Records, open to midnight," I sighed lightly into the phone on the non busy Thursday morning, the 27th as I listened to the customer babble on about something along the lines of staying open later. "Um, I don't know. My manager's out til noon, so you might to call back later." I listened to them go on and on about being open later this weekend since it's the first week of playoffs but rolled my eyes. "I'll let him know. Thank you bye."

I shook my head as I hung up the phone while at regrister since it was dead in here at 10 and we've been open for an hour. Lucas went to the bank and then he's getting lunch for everyone, mainly me and Mark who were the only ones in the store right now.

Lucas was a greet manager even for being only 7 years older than me. I've been here since I was 19, two years after the store opened and it's become more of my family and home than anything else I've ever known.

Mark was cleaning and fixing shelves as I read the latest music magazine when I heard the bell above the door finally go off. Looking up slightly, it was only one person in which I didn't pay any attention to, until I realized who exactly they were.

"Girl, you look so bored," I heard the familiar chuckle of Paula Farris as I looked up to smile at her.

"I am. The store's dead today." I mentioned while resting my head on hand on the counter to look at her, smiling bigger than usual.

"Well I know a way you can have some fun." She smiled as I waited for her to continue on with what she had to tell me. "You know how the first game of the Stanley Cup are at the United Center?"

"Yeah, two days from now. If I wasn't so big into hockey, customers keep reminding me," I sighed while sitting up straight, "They seriously think that we should be open longer for after the game crowd."

"Well, I've got a proposition for you."

"What?" I questioned waiting for her to continue on with what she had to say.

"Well, since you are the coolest young one there," She flashed me a smile as I rolled my eyes at her, "I put in a request to have you come along with me to all the games."

"All the games?" I raised an eyebrow at her as her smile kept growing which at this rate, it might engulf her entire head. "And why?"

"Because I need a make up artist," She giggled as I rolled my eyes.

"Yeah like they'd let me go?"

"Actually," She held up my press pass as well as everything else that I would need to tag along with her, "they've already approved it. I just need you to say that you'll go with me."

"Lucas," I started as I looked around the store to see it still empty then turning to smile, "He'll understand."

"Great," She smiled. "Now tonight, are you busy?"

"Yeah," I smiled lightly since I had to go work at Coyote but she didn't know, "Why?"

"I was going to take you to a practice game, meet the players and all?"

"Dude," My eyes lit up at her, "What time? I think I can seriously make time for this?"

"7 at the United Center, don't be late."

With that Paula left the store in which the crowd soon picked up now. The part time employees, Sara and Crystal soon got there to work their shift as Lucas did get back from the bank eventually. By 4, it was my quitting time just as Burko walked in followed by 5 other employees who were scheduled today. Lucas actually gave me time off for these how ever many games I was needed at which only left one more thing to take care.

I was supposed to work at Coyote tonight from 6 to close but that wasn't what I was doing anymore. I needed that motivation to quit and Paula had finally given it to me. My boss there, Ash, looked shocked to see me there that early but it wasn't a happy let's party thing. It was the more, turn in my keys and name tag, hand in my punch card, and thank them for their time but it was my last day. She was upset but what can I do? This is not where my heart was.

Walking out of the building by 5, I still had two hours to change or find dinner or something before meeting Paula at the United Center. My dinner ended up being getting a quick sandwich from Subway and a Diet Coke as I decided to enjoy the nice day out and eat outside.

Heading back to my car, it made me realize why I loved this town so much. It was just gorgeous. Breatth-taking.

The car ride to United Center felt like it drug on and on yet it was still taking the same amount of time that it normally did. I don't know why I was in such a rush to get there. It's not like I haven't been at some big event before. Paula took me out to a lot like Superbowl games, other hockey games, all that jazz. Just right now, I felt like everything had to be perfect, especially with me right now.

I glanced down at my clock to notice it was 10 past 7 but I was only a few blocks away, the lights just weren't in my favor right now. Speeding into the parking lot, I found a space where my car wouldn't get towed when I rushed out of the car.

I went to the front doors where Paula usually told me to meet her but she wasn't there, nor was a camera crew. I didn't know what was going on. Was she pissed I was late and left? Did something happen to her? Did she even have a camera guy coming out? Was this even a news story?

So many thoughts went through my head as I went to dial Paula's number and look out into the room to see if I seen her car coming somewhere. I wasn't paying much attention while listening to Paula's voicemail that when I went to turn around, I bumped into someone.

"Oh my god." I apologized quickly before hanging up the phone. "I'm so sorry. I was just waiting for someone and they haven't shown up yet."

"It's quite alright." I heard a chuckle and a low voice as I looked up at the man standing in front of me. "May I ask who you're waiting for?"

"Paula Farris," I smiled lightly, "She came in with awesome news at my job this morning but I don't see her."

"Well it's getting late, maybe you should wait inside for her." I looked up at the man in which I knew who he was but wasn't about to go all crazy like at him. I just didn't do it because you were the captain of the Blackhawks, sorry Jonathan Toews.

"I don't want to be a burden or anything. Besides I'll be fine." I smiled lightly at him.

"I'd feel safer if you were inside."

"Ok," I nodded at him while following him into the building to look down at my phone to see it still had a signal.

"Hey, what's you're name? Just in case someone asks." He mentione as he started to walk off.

"Oh," I shook my head quickly but then looked back at him, "Blaze, Blaze Chasez."

"It was nice meeting you, Blaze Chasez." He waved a small goodbye to me as I watched him walk off.

"You too," I mumbled while looking at my phone while pushing Paula's number again.