The World Is Still Sleeping, While I Keep on Dreaming

Captain Bi-polar

Ok, so I stood there waiting for what felt like ever for Paula to show up but she never did. Finally, my phone decided to ring in which I shown Paula's number on it as well.

"Paula, thank god. I was wondering where you were!" I rushed out.

"Hey, sorry. I'm not going to make it there, Blaze. I got called in to fill in for someone who went home sick."

"You're kidding me?" I questioned as I watched some people walk past me.

"No, sorry."

"So I drove all the way out here for nothing?"

"No," She rushed out quickly, "Their coach, Joel Quenneville still knows you're there. I called and told him to expect you. It'll just be you talking to the players tonight."

"But I don't have a press pass or anything," I tried to reason with her, feeling the butterflies in my stomach now.

"Don't worry. Joel said he'd be up to get you a in few minutes."

"Thanks," I shrugged, "I think."

"Don't be nervous," She laughed into the phone, "They don't bite. They're the sweetest people ever. You'll just have to tell me about it in the morning."

"I'm working at Empire tomorrow morning."

"Fine then by lunch, you're mine," She laughed again but I still knew it was the truth.

"Alright, laters."

I hung up the phone to look up to see an older man walking towards me in a suit, looking really professional compared to my jeans and t-shirt that I was wearing now. He approached me with a smile as I took a deep breath.

"You must be Blaze Chasez?" He questioned as I nodded, "Paula Farris told me you'd be waiting. Sorry for such the wait."

"It's no problem," I shook my head as he nodded.

"Come with me," He motioned as I followed him down a long hallway, "The guys are all expecting you. I just don't think most of them realized how young you were though. How old are you?"

"24," I nodded feeling a bit more comfortable, "I work at that Empire Records store."

"How'd you get into the media business then?"

"Oh," I shook my head, "I'm not too into the media. I did make up for a lot of the anchors. I connected with Paula and she's become a friend to me and well she tries to get me to come to hockey games since I'm a big fan."

"I promise no one will bite your head off then," He smiled as he opened the door for me as I walked into a room that looked like a locker room only everyone just all scattered around, covered in sweat, not like I'd picture a locker room anyways.

I heard Joel clear his throat as I was still trying to take everything in while he introduced me to the players. I swear, my mind half tuned out what he was saying, except for showing me to a seat as the guys went back to changing again.

"So there was a reason you were here," I heard a voice from the side of me as my attention snapped to it, "Usually all media chicks are so overdressed for this thing."

"Oh, I'm not a media chick," I shook my head at the straight faced captain sitting next to me, "I'm sorta the make up person but Paula just wanted me to go along with her to the finals just to keep her sane."

"You're going to all the games?" He questioned with a raised eyebrow, "Wow."

"You say that like you're shocked."

"I'm, well, I-" He stumbled across his words as I knew what he was thinking.

"I just don't look like the type of girl into hockey, huh?" I crossed my arms at him while he nodded.

"I didn't want to say anything."

"You think I'm girlie, don't you?" I smirked as he stopped talking, "Either that or you think I'm just some air-headed girl following the sports world because I think the players are cute?"

"It happens more times than none," He shrugged as I rolled my eyes, hearing the room fall silent waiting to see what I'd say or do.

"You know what, if you were thinking that, why offer to bring me inside because you'd feel safer about where I was?" I looked at him, waiting for him to explain.

"I didn't want to be responsible if something happened to you."

"God," I rolled my eyes to stand up a bit, "Captain Bi-polar, you're really getting on my last nerve."

I heard snickers around the room as I looked at the other players who were laughing or trying to hide their laughter from their captain who now had his back to me.

"What?" I snapped just a bit harshly.

"It's not you," Patrick Kane walked over to pat me on the shoulder, "It's just we never heard a girl call him Captain Bi-Polar and not be scared to do it."

"Please," I rolled my eyes, "You mean no other girl who meets him or something has the nerve to call him out on being an ass?"

"Usually they're swoning over him," Duncan Keith shrugged as I let out a harsh snicker.

"Him?" I raised an eyebrow, "Don't flatter yourself Toews. If I were to flirt with anyone, it'd be Mr. Sharp over there. Now he's gorgeous."

"Hey, wait!" I heard Sharp looked towards us, "Don't drag me into this conversation."

"Relax," I smiled at him, "Your captain just needs an ego check."

"I'm not sure I'm the only one who needs it," Jonathan snapped while looking me dead in the eyes then storming out of the room.

The locker room fell silent as his words hit like ice for some reason but that was broken by someone mentioning that they were starved.

"Hey," Patrick looked at me, "You want to get something to eat with us? I know you didn't have much time we could talk to you and you seem interesting."

"I don't want to be a burden," I shook my head as they all smiled at me.

"Nonsense," Adam Burish stood up, "you can ride with me over to the resturant. That way it'll give Jonathan some time to cool off."

"Yeah," Sharp walked up to me to put an arm on my shoulders, "And not to mention, you still have to tell us about yourself a bit."

Giving in to them talking me into dinner, I went with them since I was starved but didn't want to admit it. I sat at a long table with Patrick Kane sitting next to me on one side than Duncan Keith on the other side. Jonathan wasn't that far down the table, maybe like two people across from me but from the look on his face, he was either not happy I was here or he always looked that damn serious. Something, I felt the need to change since smiling wouldn't kill you every now and then.

The conversation turned to me and what I do, how I got into doing make up, how I got into the cullinary arts, my job at Empire, everything that wasn't too personal. It had me leaving out my job at Coyote which I didn't feel the need to share with anyone right at the moment. I mean I just met these guys, why would I unload everything on them now?

I would catch Jonathan glance over to me every now and then but didn't make anything of it. I just felt bad for the way I snapped at him earlier. I mean I didn't mean to, it just happened. Him acting like he was the best thing to walk the face of the earth, didn't help matters either.

Once dinner was over, everyone decided to head back to their place for the night to get rest for game 1 tomorrow in which I should probably be doing the same only because I had to open at Empire, go home, change, catch a ride with Paula, then head to United.

I guess that's how I found myself standing outside the rest as everyone left, except for Jonathan who was just now walking out the door after finishing a phone conversation. That's when I realized that I didn't have my car with me and needed a ride to at least get back to mine.

"Hey," I called out casually towards Jonathan as he turned to face, "Um, do you think you could swing by the United Center? I kinda don't have a way to get back to my car."

"Oh so now you'll be nice to me? When you want something," He snapped as I rolled my eyes.

"Forget it," I shook my head as I walked past him, "United's not that far out, I'll just walk back to my car."

"It's dark," He mentioned as I looked back at him.

"So? What do you care, right?" I snickered as I started heading down the street knowing damn well I'd stop to use a phone and have someone or a taxi pick me up since United was far away.

"Wait, Blaze," I heard jogging behind me as I stopped to let Jonathan catch up to me, "It's a long walk along."

"Look, Captain Bi-polar's back," I smirked as I watched him clench his jaw for a second.

"Are you always going to give me this much stress?"

"Depends," I shrugged as I looked at him, "Are you always going to get on my last nerve with your mood swings."

"Do you want the ride or not?" He questioned with a bit of anger hanging on his words.

"Thank you," I nodded as I walked past him towards his car now, "Don't think this earns you brownie points though."

"I wasn't counting on it," He mumbled as I got to his car to wait for him to open his car door.

The ride home felt like it took forever in silence but the only thing that could be heard was the sound of the radio as he drove down my street. I didn't live in a bad neighborhood, it was just downtown, not far from the radio station. People tend to think I did because I didn't fit in with the "news media" crowd but my place was nice, it was comfy, roomy, my own.

Jonathan's car stopped outside the building as I looked up towards where my apartment would be like I normally do when my heart stopped.

"What?" Jonathan asked as he looked at me as I watched the light.

"I don't remember leaving a light on in my apartment."

"Maybe you did," He shrugged, "You were in a hurry and forgot to turn it off or something."

"No, I made sure everything was off," I shook my head as I looked at him for a second, "I know it's out of your way but do you mind coming with me just as a precaution."

"Fine," He sighed as he parked the car then we both out of it to walk towards my apartment number.

The climb up the stairs was tension filled for me more than Jonathan. I knew I didn't leave the light on but he didn't believe me. That and I knew I locked my door, but now I turned the knob without the key, my heart raced.

As I stepped into the room with Jonathan behind me, I heard the TV playing in the background as I rounded the corner to see that person sitting there that I thought I wouldn't see again. Not to mention, I did have the locks changed in order to keep him out but there he was sitting on my couch, watching my TV, like he belonged there.

"Hi babe," He smiled a sweet smile as the anger filled my eyes as as I looked at him.

"Chris," I gritted through my teeth at my ex-boyfriend, Chris Pronger sitting on my couch.

"That's your boyfriend?" Jonathan asked a bit in disbelief as I looked back at him.

"Ex," I mentioned quickly, "We broke up a while ago, trust me."

"Aww babe, who's your friend?" He smirked knowing how he was, "I'm sorry I scared you."

"Maybe you should just go," I whispered to Jonathan as my eyes fell to the ground and he looked at me.

"Are you sure? I mean you can stay at my place-"

"It's fine. I'll um, see you tomorrow?" I questioned as I walked him to the door.

"Blaze?" Jonathan asked, "If he hurts you tonight, I swear to god."

"I can handle it," I gave him a faint smile, "I mean why should you care, right?"

"If you need anything-" He started but I stopped him.

"Tomorrow. I work at Empire in the morning if you can stop by."

"Be careful," He gave me a look as I shut the door then went to turn and face the man with the crooked smile still plastered to his face.