The World Is Still Sleeping, While I Keep on Dreaming

Finding a Friend

The first game of the finals.

I managed to make it through the day, pulling myself together long enough to put on my happy face. Wearing enough make up to hide the bruises helped too. I met Paula outside, being quieter than usual which I'm glad she didn't question, it made things easier just to follow her to the media section where she was sitting.

I found myself getting lost in the game, watching my Blackhawks take on the Fylers. Smiling each time someone pushed Chris into the wall with such force. It was almost like a personal vendetta out on him from certain members who seen his damage first hand. It was a relief too like they could do all the things I wanted to do to him and get away with it.

What also helped was Adam leaving his number along with Kane and Jonathan in case I needed anything. I always loved hockey though, it seemed to go by faster than football or baseball or anything and it always had more excitement. Paula mentioned about going out to a dinner with a few of the other sports casters tonight but I wasn't in the mood.

By time the game was over, Paula went to pack up everything, as I got a text from Patrick after their win. They were all meeting at Jonathan's apartment to have a mini-party, nothing too fancy which I agreed to go but I just had to swing by my apartment and grab my cell phone charger since mine was starting to die.

"I can give you a lift," Jonathan shrugged as I raised an eyebrow at him.

"You do know they're going to your apartment right?" I let out an airy chuckle as he shrugged.

"So they'll have to wait for us to get back," He shrugged again as I rolled my eyes, "I just don't want anything to happen to you."

"You're paranoid," I smirked at him while shoving him slightly, "Chrissy was upset they lost so he's probably sulking at some bar with his friends. I'll just be gone a few minutes."

"If you're not at my place in half in a hour, I'll come get you," He looked at me seriously as I gave him an annoyed eyeroll.

"Such a serious 22 year old," I smirked again, "But won't traffic be bad?"

"Fine, an hour."

"I'll see you then," I waved with a smile as I walked to my car.

My apartment was dark, just like most of the others right now. Some of them you could hear a party going on with the current win the Blackhawks just got, others were quiet as usual like this time of night. It gave me that sense of relief since that meant I was probably right about him not being in here.

Hearing my key hit the lock and open slowly, my smile grew on my face to see it was empty as I bounced to get my phone charger. I knew I should've grabbed it earlier today but in all honesty, I forgot where I sat it until I started packing, then made a mental note to take it, only to forget it again. Yeah, I know I'm an air-head at times but when is everyone not?

I picked up my charger as I was about to head to the door when I heard the kitchen doorway creak. I stopped dead in my tracks as I knew I was now no longer alone in my apartment.

"Well look who finally came home," I turned my attention to him as he placed the bottle to his lips and took a swig, "Did you get tired of fucking that sad excuse for a captain?"

"I just came to get my phone charger," I held it up to show him, "I'm not staying."

"I just lost an important game and you're not comforting me?" He pouted as he moved closer to me again.

"I'm not supporting the Flyers and therefore, I'm not supporting you."

"You think you're funny don't you?" His face fell as I nodded.

"Hysterical," I sighed moving towards the door, "Now move."

"Did I say you could go?" Chris blocked my way as I looked into his eyes.

"Chris, come on, just let me go. I promise you, once I walk out that door, I'll be out of your life for good."

"I don't think so," He pushed me away from the door towards the couch as I stood my ground.

"Stop it," I mumbled as he shoved me to sit on the couch, "Chris."

"You know, I talked to your mom the other day," He started as he stood over my legs, "she worries about you, misses you. Asked me if we're planning on having kids eventually."

"What'd you tell her?" I gritted through my teeth.

"I told her that once you get over being a wild child that we'll talk."

"Bastard." I mumbled as he yanked my hair back.

"Now is that any way to treat me?" He smirked as he ran his lips down my neck as I let out a whimper.

"Don't do this," I whispered at him, "If you do, you know it'll be the end of your hockey career for good."

"Which is why you won't say anything," He mentioned near my ear while slowly unzipping my jeans.

"Chris, please," I mentioned as I heard his zipper move down slowly.

It was at that time in which I could hear the sounds of people partying down the hall, music playing loudly which I knew that if I screamed no one would hear. That was until I heard my savior come from down the hall.

"Hey Blaze!" I heard Adam's voice approach the slightly opened door, "Taser was worried about you and wanted me to come get you, so I-"

Just as he was about to finish his sentence, he opened the door to find Chris on top of me about to do the one thing I swore he never would. Adam's mouth fell opened as he pushed Chris off me, allowing me to get up and fix my clothes. I watched as Adam pushed him into the wall by the collar of his shirt.

"Leave her the hell alone," Adam gritted through her teeth as Chris just let out a smile.

"Oh so now you're her bitch?"

"If I ever see you lay one finger on her again, so help me god-" Adam fumed.

"Adam, come on let's go," I mentioned to him as they didn't look at me.

"You'll what?" Chris questioned.

"Adam, he's not worth it. Let's just go," I pleaded as he looked at me but didn't drop him, "Adam!"

"I'll see you on the ice," He glared at him as he ushered me out the door.

We both got downstairs to his car in which he pushed me in without allowing me to get to my car when I could tell he was still fuming about the whole incident that had just been played out before him.

"Who the hell does he think he is!? He had no right to touch you!" He rambled on while I kept silent and watched the road. "First he beat the shit out of you and now I came in just in time to before he raped you, all in two days!"

The reality of what happened to me sunk in as I felt my tears fall from my face as Adam caught me out the corner of his eyes.

"Oh, Blaze," His voice softened up a bit, "I didn't mean-are you ok?"

"It's just, I just keep thinking why me? What did I do to deserve this?" I let out a silent chuckle more to myself. "And to think I loved that son of a bitch. I actually loved him, Adam."

"People change."

"He cheated on me in that apartment with some girl he met after a game. And for a brief moment in time I thought it would work out but then, then he told me I wasn't worth his time. I was "too needy" is how he put it."

"You too needy?" Adam raised an eyebrow at me as I nodded at him. He let out an airy laugh as my smile played across the lips. "Now if Jonathan heard that, I swear he'd have a heart attack."

"Why's that?" I questioned feeling him lightened up a bit.

"You give that boy more grief than anything. As much as he taunts you and is all bi-polar and serious, he likes you."

"Nuh uh," I looked at him with wide eyes and a smile.

"Yes huh," He chuckled as he drove through the streets, "I see it everytime you walk in that room, he gets that glint in his eyes."

"Maybe something got in his eyes," I mumbled with a smile as Adam shook his head.

"You enjoy terrorizing him, don't you?" Adam questioned with a smile as I nodded.

"Problem?"

"For him," He smirked, "But you'll get along great with me and Sharpy."

"Thank god."

"And on that note," He mentioned as he looked at me while pulling onto Jonathan's street, "Do you have a place to stay? I mean like somewhere other than that apartment?"

"I was going to crash at Empire, there's a room up there," I shrugged playing with a strand of hair.

"Well, if you want, I'll talk to Sharpy tonight but I'd feel safer if you were staying with me."

"I don't want to be a bother," I shook my head.

"We've got room and you'll be fine," He smiled.

"I'll think about it."

Adam agreed to let me think about the generous offer which I was considering. I'd pay rent and things plus it'd be that extra security with the two of them being around me. My mind was soon occupied as I entered Jonathan's apartment and lost track of Adam for the time being.

I made my way over to the make shift bar in which I could mix drinks better than this bartender but I wasn't about to get into that conversation. Especially not as Jonathan walked up to me, a half smile on his face.

"Hey Captain Bi-polar," I smirked at him as he rolled his eyes, "I take it that you're in a good mood?"

"Until I heard that nickname," He shrugged as he stood next to me.

"Sorry," I flashed him a smile.

"What about you? How are you doing?"

"Ok," I shrugged, "I got held up a bit but that's another story."

"You have way too many stories going on in your life," He shook his head at me.

"I know. It's hard for me to keep up with them."

Jonathan let out a soft chuckle as people were all around us as he looked at me, "It's stuffy in here."

"Where else is there to go?" I rolled my eyes as he moved from his spot to offer me his hand.

"Come with me."

"Jonathan, where are we going?" I questioned as he pulled me through the crowd of people, including some of the jealous girls who seen me pass by.

He didn't stop but lead me to the roof of the apartment building which welcomed us with a blast of cool night air. Up here, the city was so peaceful, it was like we were the only two on the roof in the whole town right now. I walked over to the edge, taking it all in, as Jonathan watched me.

"Are you having a good time?" He questioned as I turned to look at him to see him standing with his hands in his pockets.

"Don't tell me you're scared to come to the edge?" I motioned for him to come over. "I promise I don't bite."

"It's not biting I'm afraid of," He mumbled as he moved closer to me, "I'm afraid you'll push me over the edge."

"So you do have a sense of humor?" I turned my head to the side to see him let out a smile. "Even though it was a back handed comment, it was cute."

"I'm not serious all the time," He defended himself.

"I never said you were. I just called you Captain Bi-polar since you've got more mood swings than a pregnant woman."

"Are you always going to a pain in my ass?" He questioned as I turned to look at him with a smile on my and arms crossed.

"Depends. How long can you take it?" I challenged as I watched the lights flicker across face.

"God," He mumbled as he turned to lean on the wall a bit.

"Relax," I massaged his neck a bit with a smile on his face, "I like that bi-polarness of you. It's cute."

"Did you just call me cute?" Jonathan smirked at me as I backed away with an eyeroll.

"Don't let your ego get all big now." I rolled my eyes. "I said you were cute, not hot, not sexy." I had to stop myself since I knew he could probably tell I was lying since each time I said the words, my pulse quickened. "You're just cute."

"And if I said I found you attractive?" He questioned.

"Then I'd say thank you," I smirked at him as I thought for a second, "Do you?"

"What?"

"Find me attractive?"

"Maybe," I watched the blush come over his face as I smiled.

"What would you do if I said the feeling's mutal?" I questioned as I looked at the building across from me as I felt my heart beat race.

"Are you serious?"

"Does the sun rise in the east?"

"Wow, you've actually admitted to me that you find me attractive." He smirked as I rolled my eyes and went to move.

"There goes the ego," I started to walk off again.

"Wait," He caught my hand as I stopped to look at him, "I mean, at least we agree on something."

"I didn't think we didn't before," I mentioned lightly as he moved closer to me, "You know we should probably head back. They're probably wondering about us."

"Yeah." He smiled lightly as he moved closer to me, our lips mere centimeters from each other.

"Hey there you are!" I heard Adam's voice now as we both jumped back from each other, "Dude, Sharpy is stoked that you'd want to move in with us and--oh am I interupting something?"

"No," I shook my head as I gave Jonathan one last look, "it was just stuffy down there."

"Well come on," Adam motioned to me, "You two are missing out on a lot."