The World Is Still Sleeping, While I Keep on Dreaming

Day Off

It was a few days after New Years, January 6th to be exact and I was just at home in Jonathan's apartment by myself now since Jonathan was at morning skate before the game tomorrow against the Senators. Adam had been in town last night since they played the Stars but I didn't get to hang out with him since I was just tired.

Bradin went back home with his dad which bummed me out since I had no kid to keep me company with his stories or wanting to play hockey. As for the contraction like things, they kept happening which worried both Jonathan and I. That's why I had an appointment tonight once he got back from practice.

To say I wasn't nervous would be a lie. I was so scared, I wasn't sure what was going on, especially since with Bradin, nothing like this happened before.

I was stretched across the couch, trying to catch up on the sleep that I missed with the constant cramps and kicking that kept me up last night. The faint sound of the TV was on in the background but other than that, it was quiet around me. My eyes slowly started to drift to sleep when the door opened and Jonathan slid into the apartment. He was a bit loud at first but grew quiet as he seen me laying on the couch.

"Hey," I sat up slowly and smiled at him.

"Sorry, didn't mean to wake you?" Jonathan walked over to me.

"No, it's fine," I ran a hand through my hair. "I couldn't sleep really."

"I'm glad you've got that appointment today," He sat down next to me and took my hand.

"Me too," I agreed with him.

"Are you at least feeling a bit better?" He questioned.

"A bit," I shrugged. "No scary contraction like feeilngs going on, just a lot of kicking."

"Good," Jonathan kissed my cheek. "You know I love you right?"

"Of course I do," I smiled at him. "I love you too."

A few hours later, Jonathan was dressed again and ready to take me to my appointment. One that the doctor ran a few tests and did an ultrasound to make sure everything was ok. It was the first time he noticed my scars from Chris that he started to questioned. Questions that I didn't want to answer again but knew they'd come up eventually. It's kind of hard to hide a deep stab wound scar from that relationship.

I knew it bugged Jonathan hearing about it again too because we tried to put it all behind us,which is what I wanted but I guess the world had other plans. Plus it wasn't like I still talked to him either, I hadn't since that day my parents brought him over before Christmas and I wasn't planning on it.

After a few more tests, the doctor told us that everything was fine, it was just Braxton Hicks which happen to a lot of woman. Basically it was like false contractions or labor and it was nothing to worry about right now. He said that as long as they stayed the same or weren't changing in anyway then we shouldn't worry.

It was a bit of relief but still, not exactly fun. After that, Jonathan drove us back home after we picked up some food.

The two of us were just sitting in the living room, eating when it grew silent for a second.

"So I know you told me he stabbed you before but what all happened?" Jonathan broke the silence since I knew it was weighing on his mind.

"Well you know what I told you before," I watched him nod. "I don't know, it was just all a blur. We were fighting the whole day about something and then the next thing you know, all I feel is pain in my side. Then I woke up to him telling a doctor some crazy random story about me getting mugged or something."

"So you don't remember what you were fighting about?" Jonathan questioned.

"No," I shook my head. "All our fights just kind of blur together. It's like half the time we fought over who didn't take out the trash, who did this who did that. That's why I get so nervous about getting married to you."

"But you know I won't do anything Chris did to you, ever," Jonathan looked at me as I nodded.

"I know, it's just, I don't want our relationship to just be about the fights over stupid things," I pulled my knees up slightly onto the couch. "I mean fights can be good but it's just things that stick with you that scare you."

"I understand," Jonathan smiled lightly. "It must've been hard to go through that and no one to turn to."

"It was," I nodded with a shrug. "But it made me a better person I guess. It gave me that spine I needed to face anything."

"Yeah and drives me crazy," Jonathan chuckled.

"Shut up," I threw a piece of bread at him.

"So what about you and Quinn?" Jonathan took a sip of his drink. "There was no love between the two of you, ever?"

"No," I shook my head. "Friend-type love but other than that, it was just sexual. I had no intent on starting a relationship with him. Just sleeping with him and hanging out with the band. Sounds like a boyfriend but trust me, it wasn't."

"So then Bradin was totally unplanned," Jonathan smirked.

"Yeah," I rolled my eyes. "Imagine waking up to find out you're pregnant at such a young age and you can't even say you're in love or thinking of love. I already left my parents by then but still, it wasn't exactly ideal."

"At least he's got both of his parents in his life again," Jonathan smiled.

"I guess because Quinn never bad mouthed me," I shrugged. "I think he knew there was something else going on in my life that needed to be dealt with and he knew I wouldn't drag a kid into it."

"Good thing too," Jonathan picked at his food. "Things with Chris might've been worse."

"God," I rolled my eyes. "It would've been twice the hell if anything happened to Bradin."

"And I guess Bradin being part of our family just means we'll have to find a new place eventuall," Jonathan shrugged.

"Our family?" I raised an eyebrow at him. "So are you officially ok with Quinn being around sometimes?"

"Yeah," He nodded. "As long as he's not trying to take you from me, of course. Quinn's a good dad and you do need to talk to him about Bradin and everything."

"Thank you," I smiled at him as he smiled back. "I'd kiss you but you're not exactly close."

"Wanna go for a walk?" Jonathan suggested since it was still early.

"I don't know," I sighed looking down at my stomach. "Kinda pretty big here."

"So?" Jonathan stood up to help me up. "Just because my lovely wife to be is showing her baby bump doesn't mean I have to hide her from the world."

"Ok, then," I smiled as I took his hand and slowly got up from my spot.

"And tonight, I was thinking we could think of some names," Jonathan's finger entwined with mine.

"You mean an entire day with you?" My smile grew on my face. "I think it'll work perfectly."