We All Have Our Secrets

Rain Check

“Alright Jasper?” Simmons asked as him and Carly met us in front of our cars. His voice was light and friendly.
“Fine thank you. Yourselves?”
He smiled and nodded, signalling they were fine. Carly looked around the car park and stopped as she must have found what she was looking for. I followed her gaze and saw Cindy glaring at her. A smirk played on Carly’s lips and she held out her hand.
“Ready for another day at school?” she asked as I took it.
“Of course.”
She chuckled, but didn’t smile. I quickly glanced at Edward who shrugged, as confused as I was.
History was similar to yesterday, we started watching a film on the Wall Street Crash. Carly was eating a Hershey bar when the bell went. She had offered it until I had no choice but to take some, with now resided underneath the desk.
“Ms. Stead, may I ask where you managed to get the candy from?” Mr Doyle asked as we headed to the door
“Magic!” she said in a creepy voice and Simmons nudged her, eyes wide “It was in my bag. I get hungry easily.”
He sighed and shook his head and Simmons waved and pushed her out the room. Magic? Witches were just stories weren’t they? I needed to talk to Carlisle.

“Mind if I take you up on the rain check?” Carly asked as we got to the cafeteria
“No. Be my guest.”
She nodded and followed me to our table. Simmons made a move to join us but she shook her head, so slightly, no one would have seen it.
I introduced to her to everyone officially. Rose especially seemed to be glad she joined us.
“So what car do you drive or do you just have the bike?” Rose asked as Carly picked at some lettuce sceptically.
“I have an Aston Martin DB9 and a Corvette, but I‘m fixing the Corvette up myself. It died in a small accident and has no windows, engine, or anything except a body really.” she chuckled pushing her hair out of her face.
“I would love to see it once you‘ve fixed it up.”
Bella, Rose and Carly started their own conversation, which Emmett was listening to whilst me and Edward had a silent conversation of our own.
“Carly?” we all looked up and saw Lilly looking deadly serious. “We have a problem.”
“Erm.. Excuse me.” she smiled to us “I‘ll meet you here at the end of lunch hour.” she told me before following Lilly.
She came back 30minutes later looking, mildly annoyed. She yawned as she sat with us again.
“Sorry about that” a strong smell of smoke lingered on her “Had to sort something out.”

It was on the news later that night that someone’s car had be set alight, supposed arson. One minor injury, the person’s who car it was received minor burns. He isn’t wanting to press charges.

After the ‘buddy week’ was over Carly still spoke to me in lessons. It wasn’t really surprising as all our lessons were together. I noticed that Simmons pretty much went wherever she went pretty much. I also had a feeling that he was pulling off being much younger than he actually was. Carlisle had a theory that they weren’t human, and asked if we could get closer to see if we could get a better understanding but as Edward quoted from his buddy ‘she has a defensive wall like an armoured tank’. I could barely get the details of what she was doing at the weekend. We decided to stop lingering on it and called for a hunting trip.