Waning Moon

Reunion

I looked out from the window. Everywhere I saw was green, like how mother told me. There were so many trees that it was overwhelming. Yet, I couldn’t help but to miss this place, the place where I born, where my mother met my father, where I all began.

Forks.

‘…And we’ll visit your grandfather, Charlie. I’m sure he’ll be very happy to see you, Nessie,’ Jacob squeezed my hand, steering my focus back to him. He gave me a smile, which I returned whole-heartedly.

Jacob and I had been officially dating for a year and a half already, though we had been in love before we started dating. Our relationship was strange, but not unpleasant. He’d imprinted on me when I was still a mere infant, and stayed by my side the whole time.

I remembered mother was enraged when she first learnt that news. She was a newborn, a fledgling then. Her emotion was rather unstable, and hard to control. She ran towards Jake, aiming to break his neck perhaps, I wasn’t sure, though I knew relief washed over me Seth, another werewolf friend of Jake, had stood in front of Jake and taken the blow. I was glad. Jake was mine, and he was not to be hurt.

My father and mother did not accompany us during the airplane ride. They went to hunting, and said they would join us a few days later. I would have joined them in hunting but that seemed unfair to Jacob. He wasn’t a vampire like the rest of my family was. He said he was fine with it, yet I couldn’t possibly hunt with him like when I was young. I wanted to look perfect in his eyes, a graceful and elegant being, like my aunt, Rosalie. Despite Jake’s constant reassurances, I thought otherwise.

‘Hey, Nessie. How about we run to Charlie’s instead of taking a cab?’ Jacob whispered.
I grinned at him, thrilled by the idea of stretching my limbs. Although I had forbid myself from feeding in front of Jake, racing was another matter. Besides, why would anyone take a vehicle when you could run faster than it could?

‘I win,’ I announced. Jacob appeared seconds later, panting in his human form, wearing a pair of jeans only.

‘You’ve gotten faster, Nessie.’

I beamed, though I had no clue was that a compliment, or was he simply letting me win on purpose, again. ‘And, you were in your wolf form too,’ I teased him.

He chuckled at my response.

Staring at the house, I felt grateful that nineteen years had finally passed. I could walk normally into the house, no more sneaking around. It would not be suspicious for Grandpa Charlie to invite stranger that looked eerily like the Cullens, but when we had to make an excuse…Well, we were running out of those.

Grandpa Charlie knew I was actually his granddaughter when I stopped aging at seven, not father’s niece. I had to admit, it was quite funny to see gramps’ face changing colors. Shocked was an understatement, but when we tried to explain to him, he covered his ears like all those years ago and muttered a ‘never mind.’

I pressed the doorbell, waiting patiently for grandpa. Jacob slipped one of his arms around my waist. I leaned on him, breathing in the familiar scent of Jacob. My mum said he stunk, but he smelled fine to me.

‘Who is it? Grandpa’s voice rung from behind the opening door, revealing my grandpa in his old pajamas. I nearly laughed out loud.

‘Grandpa Charlie!’ I shouted, excited to see him.

Grandpa smiled at me, giving me a hug. His scent was still the same, luring and delicious, but I could control these thoughts. Grandpa had retired a few years earlier, he was now enjoying a lesuire, but rather boring life. ‘Nessie, I thought you wouldn’t be here until another hour.’

‘We ran, grandpa,’ I laughed at his choice of name; mother hated the name ‘Nessie’, because she didn’t like her child being nicknamed after the Loch Ness Monster. On the other hand, I didn’t care. The name Renesmee sounded beautiful, but it was indeed a bit mouthful.

‘Hey, Charlie,’ Jacob greeted, shaking hands like business partners. I rolled my eyes. Guys, why couldn’t they just hug? Oh, wait, it’s called the man-hug. I could never understand why couldn’t they accept the fact of expressing emotions when it was necessary? ‘How’s the game?’

‘The Gators is winning again.’

‘Hmm. By the way, nice pajamas.’ Jake smirked.

Charlie looked down at his old-fashioned, stripped pajamas, and frowned. ‘It’s classic.’
‘Where am I staying, grandpa?’ I interjected before Jacob could retort. I sent a playful glare at him.

‘Bella’s old room, of course,’ he replied. Then, he suddenly noticed something. ‘Why are you standing out there? Come in, come in.’

‘Nah, I’ll go to see Billy first,’ Jake declined the offer. ‘I’ll be back to La Push to see some Seth and the others first, and then I’ll come back. Is that alright with you, Nessie?’

‘Of course,’ I said. ‘Take your time, Jake.’ He needed to have a life, not just to stay by my side 24/7. His world did not have to revolve around me. Besides, I bet he missed Seth, Leah, Sam, and the rest of the werewolves very much. After all, we had not come here for half a decade already. Maybe Seth and Leah had imprinted on someone, who knew? ‘I’ll go check out the neighborhood. I wonder is the high school where mum and dad met still here.’
‘Probably. Do you know your way?’

‘I can take her there,’ grandpa suggested.

‘Great. I’ll call you later, Nessie.’ Jake kissed my cheek before running into the forest.

‘Well, shall we go now, Nessie?’

‘Sure,' It would be better for someone to lead me there. I have no idea where was it. 'But change your clothes first, grandpa. It’s embarrassing.’
♠ ♠ ♠
Wow, shortest chapter, ever. (excluding the preface) I'm really uncertain about this, so I'll see what the readers think first before continuing the story.
Hope you enjoy reading it. Please subscribe and comment. =)