Waning Moon

Encounter

And, we’re here,’ grandpa Charlie announced.

I stared at the school in front of me. This was where it started. Somehow, this felt like a legend to me. Imagine, a human fell in love with a vampire and vice versa; it’s like a predator falling in love with its prey. My father had phased it so correctly, no word could replace it.

And so, the lion fell in love with the lamb.

Fate had its strangest plans. For example, father was not able to resist mother’s blood at first, yet they got married and had me. As for me, Jake had wanted to kill me when he knew mum was pregnant until he laid his eyes on me, and ding! He imprinted on me and we were destined together.

Speaking of him, I wondered how Jake was in La Push. Sam and the pack would be pleased to know their brethren had returned for a visit, Billy would be glad too. Seth and Leah too, I missed them. They’d become some of my closer friends since we were immortal, and our age was more similar compared to Aunt Rosalie, Alice, and Tanya. I guessed age did matter some after all. Not to mention the fact grandpa Charlie was romantically involved with their mother, Sue. I had expected them to get married soon, but I supposed I was wrong.

‘Hey, Charlie,’ a middle-aged man greeted grandpa. ‘Who’s this?’

‘Ah, Mike. Nice to see you. This is Renesmee, my granddaughter.’

‘Please to meet you sir,’ I smiled politely at him.

The said man hung his mouth opening, shock colored his eyes. ‘Renesmee? As in Renesmee Cullen?’

‘Yes sir,’ I replied, confused by his reaction. I was aware for my…dazzling effects, as mother called it, but it appeared that this man was more interested in my family. Maybe he knew father and mother? Or maybe he used to be a patient of grandpa Carlisle. ‘Do you know my parents, or any members of my family?’

‘Know them? Why, I was their high school classmates,’ he laughed. ‘Mike Newton,’ he held out his hand to me. I shook it with a little hesitation. I did not recall father or mother informing me about this Mike person. ‘Where is your family?’

A lie, quick! I couldn’t possibly say they were vampires and they did not age so stay calm when he saw them, could I? ‘Um…they’re in…New York, on a business trip, so they won’t be here.’

‘That’s a shame. Hey, Jessica, come over here!’ Mike waved at an approaching woman, whom I purposed was his wife. ‘Look, she’s Edward’s and Bella’s daughter.’

The woman gasped, nearly dropping her hand-bag in the process. ‘Oh my god! You’re Edward’s daughter?’ She inspected me up and down. I felt uncomfortable under her criticizing gaze. ‘Yes, you have his hair, and Bella’s eyes.’

‘It’s a shame that they’re not here. Right, honey?’

‘They’re not? That’s too bad,’ the dark haired woman, Jessica, answered with a pouty face. ‘I was looking forward to see them since their daughter is here. They haven’t been attending the reunions along with their family.’

Of course, it would arouse suspicions as my family avoided the reunions, so they’d send a card or letter to communicate with their old classmates. Uncle Emmet, Jasper, and Aunt Rosalie with Alice were still enjoying high school life with my parents. It seemed to be the only way for them to actually do something when they had an eternity to waste, but sometimes they would complain how boring the classes were as they had listened to them throughout decades. Mom was turned more recently so her results were not as good as father’s, but she was catching up.

‘Let me introduce you to my kids, Renesmee,’ Mike clapped my shoulder good-naturedly. ‘You haven’t seen Nick and Amy for quite a while, right, Charlie? Come on,’ he led me and grandpa to his blue Toyota car, where three teenagers were standing, two girl and one boy.

The first one was Nick Newton, if I heard correctly. He was the tallest among the trio, his dark hair was short and curly, and his eyes were round with energy. He wore a green T-shirt and a pair of worn-out jeans. A bag was slung over his left shoulder causally; he leaned on the car door.

The second one was the shortest among them. Her hair was long and pale blond, like angel’s hair, which reminded me of Aunt Rosalie but she was certainly not as pretty as my aunt. Her eyes were big and brown; they would have been a great addition to her face if it wasn’t for the haughty smirk on her face. A hot pink and jet black mini dress showed off her curves skillfully, ending a few inches above her knees. She held a pale pink purse in her left hand while she spoke on the mobile phone on the other one. I assumed she was Amy Newton as the last girl carried no resemblance of the Newtons.

The last one stood half a head shorter than Nick. Her wavy golden hair reached her mid-back; almond brown eyes adorned her heart-shaped face. Her skin was ivory, and perhaps a shade paler than me. She looked so beautiful, like a perfect doll. Despite all the things she appeared to be, she was lacking in one aspect.

A heartbeat.

‘Hey, dad and mum,’ the boy nodded, while the blond waved, chatting animatedly on her phone. ‘Hello, Mr. and Mrs. Newton,’ the last girl said.

Mrs. Newton hugged her children, then gave the other girl a hug too. She then turned towards me. ‘This is my elder son, Nick, and my daughter, Amy.’ She indicated the teenagers respectively. ‘And this is Dora, their friend.’

‘Hello, nice to meet you. I’m Renesmee. You can call me Nessie.’

Nick offered a shake with me, while his sister merely spared a glance from her oh-so-perfectness. Dora smiled at me, she nearly glistened under the sunlight.

‘Hi,’ Nick muttered, his face starting to flush.

‘Hi there, Nessie.’

‘Well, that’s about it. Maybe I can offer you a tour around Forks. Nick will be glad to help. What do you say?’ Mr. Newton asked me.

Just as I was about to reply, my phone rang. Whispering an apology, I took out the phone, reading the new message.

Your parents are here in La Push.
Love, Jake.

‘I think I have some other matter to attend to. Perhaps another time?’ I declined. Mum and dad arrived earlier than I had predicted. There must had been a lot of bears in the forests.

‘Grandpa, can you drive me to La Push?’ it was best to put on an act, in case they asked where I was going. I couldn’t lie conveniently because I wasn’t very familiarized with the area yet.

‘Sure. See you later, Mike, Jessica, kids’

‘Later,’ the sibling chorused.

Mr. and Mrs. Newton entered the car before waving good bye. The siblings and Dora followed suit, closing the car doors. My gaze fixed on Dora as they drove away.

A vampire alone in Forks? How interesting, I thought, walking away with grandpa Charlie.
♠ ♠ ♠
Hope you like it. I think this story will last about 13 charpters, so I think it'll be rather short and quick-paced, since this will be in a competition.
Please subscribe, and leave a comment. Thank you.