Waning Moon

Epilogue

Light.

There was nothing but light. It was so bright that I wanted to shield it from my eyes. My hands refused to listening to my will as they stayed limped on my sides. My entire body was sore and weak, yet it was relaxed since there was a bed underneath of me.
Where was I? What happened to me?

‘…a bear attacked?’

‘Oh my god!’

Who were talking? Who was attacked by a bear? I swore I knew the voices, they sounded like someone I knew, though I couldn’t pinpoint it.

‘But she’s alright now. She just needs a little rest, that’s all.’

Was that…Jake? There something I had forgotten, something important. Jake… Jake… Jake!

Wasn’t he attacked by Dora?

Oh, no. Dora! Where was she? I had to warn mum and dad about her. She’s Victoria’s sister and she was looking for revenge.

‘…Jake?’ I forced the words out.

‘Nessie!’ three people said in union. Someone approached me, shadows started to hover above me, covering the glaring light. I squeezed my eyes open little by little, until I could finally focus on what was in front of me.

Jake and Nick grinned at me while Amy had a small smile on her lips. I looked at them in wonder; everything was so blurry to me. Nothing made any sense, I had no idea what was going on.

‘Hey, guys. What’s up?’

Nick was the first to answer me. ‘What’s up? What’s up?! Is that all you can say after you are attacked by a bear?’ He glared at me worriedly. ‘Have you lost your mind, Nessie? Hunting alone in the woods? Are you nuts?’

I blinked at him as Nick continued to blabber things that were illogical to me. I could not understand what he was talking about. I turned to Jake, looking for some explanation. He offered a goofy laugh, but said none regarding Nick.

As usual, Amy crossed her arms, though her eyes sparked with relief. She was worried like Nick. Amy wanted to keep her usual attitude, yet I could tell she was retaining herself from leering like her brother.

‘Here,’ Jake helped me to sit up. I leaned on the bedpost, watching Nick walking around while sprouting gibberish. I stared at the flowers beside my bed for a change. The white roses swayed gently with the wind, waving at me.

‘Who sent the flowers?’ I asked Jake, truly curious how did anyone knew of my favorite flowers.

‘I did,’ Jake blushed. ‘Do you like them?’

‘I love them. Thanks.’

Jake gave me warm smile.

‘Hey! Are you listening to me?’ Nick shouted.

‘Obviously not, you idiot of a brother,’ Amy sighed. ‘Come on, let’s go.’

‘What? I haven’t talked to Nessie yet,’ Nick protested.

‘You said we’ll wait until she wakes up, and we did. Now, let’s go home before mum gets pissed at us.’ Amy dragged her brother out of the room, who was whining like a kid. I waited till I could no longer hear their footsteps before asking Jake my questions.

‘What happened, Jake? Where’s Dora? We have to warn mum and dad she wants revenge!’ I shouted, shaking Jake anxiously. What should I do? ‘We have to be quick, Jake, or else she might reach mum and dad before us and---’

‘Shh…Calm down, Nessie,’ Jake cooed. ‘Everything is okay.’

‘No, it’s not okay. She’s Victoria’s sister, and she wants to kill…’ I trailed off, searching my memory for the correct answer. It was all messed up. Yet iI knew it wasn’t father or mother; it was…

‘Me,’ I breathed. ‘She wants to kill me.’

‘Yes,’ Jake clenched his jaw. ‘And now she’s gone.’

‘Gone?’

‘Dead, Nessie.’ Jake said.

Dora was dead? But, how? Scene of the incident flashed in my mind, as if it just happened once again. Dora’s confession, my escape, Jake and Dora’s fight, her ambush, her death…It became clear in my head.

‘So that’s why Nick thinks I was attacked by a bear,’ I said, grasping the current situation. I checked my bandaged arms. They’d be as good as new soon, but by then I’d be gone too. ‘But how do you explain for Dora’s absence?’

‘I don’t,’ Jake replied. I tilted my head, confused by his answer. ‘Dora had left a note, saying that she’d be away and return to her family,’ he explained.

I frowned. Dora knew she wasn’t going to make it after all, she knew it would be in vain. Why did she try then? Was revenge really that important to her?

‘I suppose she wasn’t lying. She did return to her family…’

In the grave.

‘Where will we go now?’ I inquired after a pause.

‘Back to New York.’

I looked out from the window. Everywhere I saw was green, like how mother told me. There were so many trees that it was overwhelming. It was the same as how it started, yet different from it. It was only a short journey, but I was sure I would remember all of this many years later. It was simply unforgettable.

I laid my head on Jake shoulder. Closing my eyes, I began to fall asleep, into a world where there was no hatred, where everything was peaceful.

Where Dora was my friend.
♠ ♠ ♠
And...finished! Thanks for reading, and thanks to those who commented on the story. I can feel your support all the way over here. It's 0239 now, and I have to sleep.
Thanks again for reading it. I hope you like the story and I hope it provides an entertainment to you or an enjoyable experience. Please leave a comment on your way out. Thank you.