My Calamity

Chapter Twenty-Two

The car ride was silent after conversation dropped between Penelope and me. It was hard not to turn and stare at Penelope today. It was as if she had known I was going to take her out on a date, or something. I mean, I know she didn't know, her reaction said that much, but she had to have been going somewhere after her art class, because she didn't usually dress up like she was today for a class.

Not that I was stalking her or anything.

And it wasn't even, really, how she was dressed. She was dressed like normal Penelope, but she was also wearing makeup, more so then usual. I guess it was the makeup that was throwing me off here. Not that her wearing makeup is bad, it's just rare. I mean, what if her art teacher's a guy and that's why she's wearing makeup?

A part of me wanted this night to be over, I wanted to just get through it and not really endure it. There was still the chance that Penelope didn't want to be my girlfriend that we'd go on this date and she'd realize there was no spark between us.

Was it possible for there to be a one-way spark?

Penelope was shocked when I stopped the car in front of Tombe Pier and the valet opened the car door for her and me. I climbed out, handing over the keys, before meeting Penelope on the other side.

"This – this is where we're having lunch?"

"This is where we're having lunch," I confirmed, guiding her inside.

"But – but how'd you get a reservation? This place is always packed."

This was a true. Tombe Pier was the best restaurant in all of Harbor Springs, and even in the district. People came from all over to eat here, and it really wasn't even the food, even if they did have considerably excellent chefs. It was the fact Tombe Pier was high up on the top of Harbor Springs, planted right beside the Spring itself. The Spring was the biggest attraction of Harbor Springs.

"Name?" the hostess asked, a short, stocky lady that was either badly congested, or had a severe nose problem.

"O'Connell."

She skimmed the list, her mouth hanging up as she breathed in and out, and then looked back up, eying Penelope and I. "Right this way."

I let Penelope pass me before following her past the dining hall, outside onto the balcony. The water was louder outside, and as we got closer to our table it came more into view. Our table was right besides the railing that blocked off the spring, and if you looked down, you could see the thick waves pushing each other one way and then going back the other way.

I pulled Penelope's seat out for her, watching her cheeks flame red, and then sat down across from her. The hostess handed us our menus then said, "You're waitress will be with you shortly."

Penelope eyed the hostess till she was out of sight, and then smiled at me.
"This is really beautiful."

"You've never been here before?"

Penelope shook her head, her red curls falling over her shoulder. "Nope," she answered as she haphazardly pushed them back. "Reservations are impossible," she paused. "Well, clearly not impossible."

I laughed. "My dad's friends with the owner."

Penelope nodded her head. "So do you come here often, then?"

"Not really," I told her honestly. "I've been here, I think, twice. But I was young."

Penelope nodded again, turning her head and straining her neck to look at the spring. I stared at her, wondering how I could have overlooked her in school. It wasn't even that she was beautiful, it was something about her – something about the way she presented herself that made her the most beautiful person in this restaurant.

She turned back to me, catching me off guard, and I averted my gaze last minute, knowing she knew I'd been staring at her. "Hi, my name is Michelle, and I'll be your server for tonight." I looked up when the waitress spoke. "Can I start you two off with a couple of drinks?" She looked back and forth between Penelope and me.

"I'll have water, please," Penelope answered softly, and Michelle scribbled that down quickly on her notepad.

"And for you?" she asked, pulling her red lips back into a smile.

"I'll have a coke," I said uncomfortably, finding her smile a bit disconcerting.

She nodded her head, and walked off, and then I was back to the silence with Penelope. I watched Penelope nervously mess with her hands in her lap, and avoid my gaze, watching other people eat, and talk and the water rise and fall beneath us but never actually looking at me.

"Are you nervous?" I finally asked, unable to understand what the problem was, but also unable to not find out.

Penelope looked up from her hands then, her lips parted slightly. Her expression was a cross between shocked and anxious, but she quickly cleared her palette, replacing it with an easy going smile. "No," she said, shaking her head for emphasis.

"Are you sure?" I asked, leaning back in my seat smugly. It was obvious she was nervous.

Penelope went to say something but snapped her mouth shut when Michelle returned with the two drinks, setting them down in front of us. "Are you two ready to order?"

I'd forgotten to even look at my menu. "Give us a few more minutes, please."

Michelle smiled before skipping off. Penelope opened her menu skimming through it, though I wasn't sure if she was actually reading it or pretending. I realized then that she wasn't going to answer.

"Have you ever been on a date?" I finally asked, opening my menu casually.

Penelope looked up, her expression unreadable. I didn't expect an answer from her. "No."

I was surprised. "Really?"

She didn't seem fazed. "I don't date."

Now I was intrigued. "What do you call this?"

She didn't miss a beat. "Special circumstance."

"Oh?" I urged her to continue.

"I didn't really have a choice, now did I?"

"But you didn't really put up a fight either."

Penelope set down her menu. "Yes, but I tried to not get involved. I did everything I possibly could."

"Past tense?"

"What more can I do? I've given up."

I wanted to smile at that. The pursuit of Penelope had not been easy. "So what are you saying?" Penelope narrowed her eyes into a glare, but didn't say anything. Without moving her eyes from mine, she picked up her glass of water, and took a large gulp. I continued, "What if I asked you to be my girl friend?"

She choked, and then quickly recovered, "I think I've made my answer very clear."

I shook my head, not going to settle for some vague response. "Say it."

Penelope let out a heavy breath, turning her head to the left. "Yes."

"Yes what?" I pressed.

She turned her head back, her cheeks full of color. "You're pushing it."

I didn't say anything, I just waited.

"Yes, I will be your girlfriend."

"That's good, 'cause I'd kinda like to be your boyfriend."