My Calamity

Chapter Five

"You're still up?" Melissa asked when she walked into the living room where I lay on the couch watching Animal Cops: Houston with a box of Cheez-It's in between my legs.

"Couldn't sleep," I told her, not moving my eyes from the screen.

"Hey little one," Haley greeted me, plopping down at the bottom of the couch. She reached for the box of Cheez-It's but I slapped her hand away. She pouted in return before standing back up and marching into the kitchen, no doubt going to get her own box of heart attack.

"Can you get me a coke?" I called, reaching my hand into the box and popping a pile of cheesy goodness into my mouth.

Melissa sat down on the love-seat, and looked at the screen. The cops had discovered a mutilated horse, and were talking on their cell phones. "God, I can't believe people can do stuff like that and feel no remorse."

People can do anything and feel no remorse. I bet dad felt nothing when he walked out on us.

The words were there on my tongue but I bit them back, and said, "I know. You should've seen the last episode. Some widow had thrown her cat into a cactus bush. It was horrifying. I couldn't depict the cat from the cactus. It lived though."

"Oh, god, don't tell me stuff like that," Melissa gasped, shaking her head. I laughed at her.

Haley walked back in with a bag of Doritos and my can of soda. She handed it to me, and I popped the cap, taking a long gulp, relishing in the way it burned my throat.

"So, what did you do today?" Haley asked as she sat down at the end of the couch. "Ya' know, after you walked out of the house."

"I just went into town," I lied, not wanting to get into the details of my encounter with Patrick O'Connell. I wanted to keep every detail to myself, and of course, my journal. It had to be one of the best moments of my life. Of course, nothing would ever happen again, and I'd probably never see him again, but I didn't care. Those minutes spent with him were enough.

I'd go back to school, and see him in the hallway with his friends, a group of girls around him, ogling his body with their blue eyes covered in makeup, and he would ignore me, and I'd ignore him too because we came from two different worlds.

Even if I was as wealthy, or even wealthier, then the next popular girl, I was still a social outcast. Nobody made fun of me, because I wasn't the emo girl, or the little geek. I was just a regular person that everyone overlooked. I didn't have anything special about me to be made fun of or looked up to.

"Really, because we were in town, and didn't see you anywhere," Melissa pointed out suspiciously.

"It's a big town," I replied, shoving more Cheez-It's into my mouth.

"It's not that big." Hal ran a hand through her brown hair, messing up the part. "So where were you? Honestly?"

"I was just out on a walk, gosh. What's with the third degree?" I stood up, closed the box of Cheez-It's, dropping them on the table, and made my way towards the exit. "Actually, you're both right. I wasn't in town. I was in Patrick O'Connell's house, making sweet love to him on his living room couch."

Haley laughed spraying shards of half-chewed chips across the room. "That's a good one," she said through her mouthful of Doritos. "Patrick O'Connell is hot though, so I could understand. Man, the things I would do to him if I weren't older than him."

I shook my head at my sister and started towards the stairs.

"Hey, where ya' going?"

I looked between Melissa and Haley, and gave a half-smile. "I'm going to bed. I have a class tomorrow and I have to be up early."

"Yeah, I know. I have to be up early to. Tonight's my last night with you. Aren't you going to spend it with me?"

I looked from my sister to the stairs, and sighed, retreating back to my spot on the couch.

Curse those puppy eyes.