By the Black Lake

1/1

It was a hot sunny day at Hogwarts School of Witchcraft and Wizardry. Summer was fastly approaching and the weather was warming up by the day. Lily Evans sat next to the Black Lake with a book propped open up against a large gray rock. She was studying for the upcoming exams with her best friend, Severus Snape. The two teenagers sat underneath a large tree seeking shelter from the blazing heat.

"I'm a little nervous about the upcoming exams," Lily confessed. Her vivid red hair carelessly fell infront of her bright green eyes. Quickly pulling her hair away from her eyes, she looked up at Snape.

"Why Lily?" The black haired boy asked. "I can easily say without hesitation that you're one of the brightest witches at this school, if not the smartest one. You'll do fine."

"Oh Sev," Lily said while laughing. "You always know what to say."

Blushing furiously, Snape shoved a book up to his hook shaped nose and pretended to read about warlock attacks on Muggles.

A comfortable silence fell upon the two and both were at ease with their surroundings. It soon became so quiet, that you could hear every page of a book being turned and even the sound of the giant squid swimming through the Black Lake.

The peaceful silence didn’t last for very much longer. Out of nowhere, a motley group of four Gryffindor boys came out to the edge of the vast lake. One boy in particular led the group while two others followed closely and one lagged behind who looked out of place.

“Well, well. Look at what we have here boys,” the leader of the group announced loudly. He pulled himself up to full height and pushed his chest out. His eyes shined dangerously behind his glasses. “Sweet little Lily Evans and greasy ol’ Snape.”

Suddenly wishing that he was invisible, Snape hastily shut his book closed and began shoving all his second hand possessions in his shabby old bag.

“What’s the big hurry Snivellus?” James Potter asked teasingly. “Heaven knows that you aren’t rushing to the showers. You’re greasy ol’ hair hasn’t been washed in ages.”

“Nice one James,” remarked a young Sirius Black.

Flipping back his hair and wearing his signature smirk, James shrugged his shoulders. “All in a hard day’s work, Padfoot, all in a hard day’s work.”

Suddenly standing up, Lily Evans made her way to James and stood directly in front of him, her eyes penetrating through his lenses. Despite the height difference, Lily seemed quite as dangerous and capable as James at the moment.

“Lily!” Snape shouted out. “They’re not worth it. Let’s just leave these idiots.”

“Oh shut it up,” James said with venom dripping from every word. “I would love to hear what sweet little Lily Evans has to say,” he said with a smug look on his haughty face. “And you know Lily, I’m really liking how close you are to me right now, if you know what I mean,” he said, every word laced with confidence before adding a wink.

Disgust instantly running through her body, Lily summoned all her strength and slapped James right in the face. The look of smugness was immediately replaced with one of shock.

Drawing his wand up, Sirius pointed his wand directly at Snape and was ready to hex him. “You’ve tainted nice Lily Evans, Snape! You’ll pay for this!” Just as he was about to curse Snape, Remus interrupted him.

“There’s no need for any of that Sirius,” he quietly mumbled. Looking very furious, Sirius reluctantly lowered his wand and whispered a few of his favorite swears.

“Lily, Lily,” James said while looking directly at her. “I don’t know why you always have to play hard to get. I’m going to win sooner or later. Just remember that. Oh,” he added looking straightly at Snape. “Stay away from her. For her sake and even yours,” he warned.

With one last menacing look, James turned his back on the lake and his way back to the school with all three boys following him closely. Swaying slightly, Lily shook her head and made her way back to Snape. Sitting down lightly on the ground next to him, she gave an awkward smile to him.

“Li-,” Snape began but was soon cut off by Lily.

“Sev, ah, I’m so sorry for all of that. It was completely rude of them. They continue to make fools of themselves, especially that ol’ foul James Potter. I don’t know who he thinks he is, but he has a rude awakening coming to him at any possible moment.

Anyway, the point that I’m trying to make is that whatever they say, it’s all lies and nonsense. I’m still completely nonplussed as to why they act they do, but that’s a whole different story. Anyway, you’re my best friend, Severus Snape and I plan on you being like that for the rest of my life,” she finished with a serene smile on her beautiful face.

“Lily, I will always be there for you and that I promise.”

With the two of them feeling happily content, Snape wrapped his arms around Lily. Feeling comfortable, Lily rested head against Snape’s broad chest. The two were cheerfully wrapped up in one another as they watched the sunset set across the lake.

Nothing could change their relationship.