Status: Complete

Ugly Things

011

As I crept out of the abandoned room, making sure that the hall was clear, I shut the door and sighed. I knew that Hunter was serious about this. He had in fact blackmailed me, but I still wanted to know why. It wasn’t like I had any secrets on him, someone I didn’t even know.

I glanced at my cell phone to see if I had any texts from Aria. I didn’t have any from her but I had one from an unknown number. I opened it anyway.

Your cooperation with this has impressed me. Most girls wouldn’t take to being blackmailed like you. I’ll be looking forward to seeing you tomorrow, darling, and I hope you’ll be in a better mood than today.

I scowled as I shoved my phone in my pocket and headed down the hallway to the courtyard. I needed to clear my head, next class be damned. Just as I rounded the corner to the outside, someone stepped in front of me.

His smoldering green eyes held mine.

“You look free enough now for a detention,” he said, smiling.

“I can’t now,” I said. I couldn’t give in, couldn’t give that lurking bastard another chance to catch us together. I thought about saying something to Elias about it. But then I realized it would only bother him.

“Why not?” He came toward me, his hands reaching to touch my hair again. I stepped back and he frowned. “What’s wrong?”

“It’s not safe,” I said, shaking my head. “Not here. Please.”

“Usually a detention is conducted in a room,” he said, chuckling. “We’re much safer there than out here.”

“I have to go,” I said, and I started to walk away from him.

I felt his hand grip my wrist tightly, then he twisted my body around to face him. I stared at him, my eyes wide from his action and my hands shaking. He frowned at me.

“Don’t you want to come with me?” His voice was soft and kind.

I closed my eyes and said the word that was on the tip of my tongue since this whole thing started. The word I knew I should have said right from the beginning.

I stared at him, my jaw set. “No.”

“No?” He mimicked me. The smile that crept across his face made the hairs on the back of my neck stand up. “I thought you wanted to be with me.”

“I don’t,” I muttered, looking away.

“I think you do.” He touched my cheek, his hand warm.

“No,” I said, stepping back. “Someone knows about us.”

Elias raised an eyebrow. “That’s interesting. Who is this person?”

I shook my head. I didn’t want to tell him. He told me that it was okay, that he’d take care of it, and then we’d be together. I didn’t know if I wanted that. I knew it was dangerous and stupid, but I couldn’t help myself.

“I’ll keep you safe,” he said. “Just tell me who it was and I’ll take care of it. They won’t bother you again.”

So I told.
♠ ♠ ♠
If only she knew the consequences of her actions.

Comment or Subscribe.