Status: Complete

Ugly Things

019

I felt like I was going to be sick as I walked down the deserted hallway to Elias' office. I didn’t even see him come in today but I figured since he took the morning off the other day that he would be here. I didn’t even care that he might have been teaching.

When I got to his classroom, I saw it empty, save for him at his desk, working on something. He had his head bent low and was running his hand through his hair, most likely in aggravation.

I considered walking away and not disturbing him. I started to walk away until I heard his chair scrape across the floor. I stopped and turned around. I could hear his footsteps coming closer to the door and wondered how he knew I was there.

Before I could leave, he was standing in front of me, a small smile playing on his lips. He was holding a pen in one hand and fixing his tie with the other. He reached a hand out and touched my cheek. I shivered uncomfortably for the first time.

“Did you hear?” I asked, my voice shaky.

“About the body?” he asked. “Yes, I did. It’s tragic.”

He didn’t sound too broken up about it.

“I think I might know who it is,” I said. I felt like vomiting.

“How about you tell me after school?” Elias murmured as he lowered his mouth to my ear. He brushed his tongue against the outer part and stupidly I reacted by closing my eyes.

“I need to talk to you,” I said calmly. “It’s important.”

“We’ll talk tonight.” He straightened up, stared at me. “Are you alright?”

“No,” I said, shaking my head. “Things are just so messed up right now.”

Elias frowned and touched a lock of my hair. “You’ll feel better when you come over tonight. I’ll make us a special dinner.”

“That’s nice.” I smiled. “I’ll let you know when I’m coming.”

“That sounds great,” Elias said, nodding. “Get to class and I’ll see you later.”

When he shut the door behind him, I left. I needed to find Caleb and Aria, fast. I didn’t have trouble finding Caleb as he was waiting around a corner for me, his expression vague.

“That went well,” he said. “I don’t know where Aria is.’

“She has Chemistry,” I said, walking passed him.

Caleb kept his pace with me. “She’ll be thrilled to know you’re doing this. She won’t hesitate to push you over the edge.”

I smiled. “She really doesn’t like him, does she?”

He gave me a look and raised his eyebrow.

“Do you want to go out for a smoke?” he asked. “It will help your stress.”

“I’m not stressed,” I mumbled, glaring at him. “But a smoke couldn’t hurt.”

Caleb nodded and pulled me outside with him. Tonight I would fix everything. It would all be okay. I knew it.