Ways to Love Your Brother

Pain

Throwing myself down our stairs wasn't really the best idea I could have had. Not only was it dangerous, but extremely painful.

The walls that surrounded the stairs flew past quickly, and noticeably as my head, my arms, and my legs hit the sides.

Near the end of the stairs, I somehow flipped and my head tucked under my body, and I did a way too painful summer sault onto the living room floor. I landed on my bottom, and flipped over onto my stomach sliding a few inches and then finally coming to a stop.

"Mikey," I saw mom and dad come around a corner and stop. The sound of Gerard pounding down the stairs could be heard, when he stopped at the end of the stairs.

"Oh my," my mom's hands flew to her mouth, tears swelling in her eyes.

"Mikey," dad knelt down on one side of me, and Gerard landed on my other side.

Gently, they flipped me over onto my back sparking tears of my own as the pain engulfed me.

"Mikey, are you okay," dad gently probed my arm and body, looking for anything broken, which he did... my lower back (a.k.a. my tail bone), my left arm, and my ankle.

"What happened," mom asked.

My eyes shot to Gerard, begging him to make up a story.

"We were wrestling," he said, finally, "We were wrestling and I had Mikey in a hold. He broke free from it and ran out the door. I followed him, and tripped before I left the door. I grabbed on to his pants.... I must have tripped him by accident, making him fall down the stairs."

"We have to get him to a hospital," mom cried.

"Right, Gerard.... Help me," they gently helped me up, Gerard with a little more difficulty because of my arm.

Mom rushed out to the garage and started the car. Pulling it out into the driveway, she jumped out and ran to the front door, opening it so dad and Gerard could get me out.

Moving me out to the car, they laid me across the back bench, my head lying on Gee's lap, my left arm tucked to my side, my ankle secured on the bench.

My tears fell down my face, soaking into Gee's pants.

"It's okay, Mikey," Gerard said, stroking my hair, "It's okay." his other hand found my right one, and he laced his fingers with mine.

"Turn," mom said.

Gee's hand left mine, and grabbed onto my, bracing my for the turn so I wouldn't fall, or have my ankle fall, hurting me.

"We're almost there Mikey," mom said, looking in the rear-view mirror of the car.

It didn't really matter to me weather we were seconds away of hours away. Nothing could change how I felt.

I felt the car come to a stop, and instantly, dad flew out of the car and into the building. He came out moments later with paramedics, who had a stretched with them.

Opening the door, Gerard was ripped away from me, and I was "carefully" removed from the car.

The nest thing I knew, I was being wheeled down the hallway to the emergency room. Doctors and nurses took ex-rays, and then proceeded to put my and my limbs in casts.

When they were finished, they wheeled me to a hospital room, where my family was allowed to visit me.

"You gonna be alright, Mikey," Gerard asked.

"Yeah, I'll be fine," I replied, giving the most convincing smile I had.

Gerard wasn't' convinced.

"Don't leave me," I whispered.

Looking at the closed door, where mom and dad were talking with the doctor on the other side, Gee bent down and placed a reassuring kiss on my lips.

"I won't leave... I promise," Gerard whispered, brushing hair from my forehead.

Mom and dad came into the room and stood at the foot of my bed.

"The doctor said you'll be able to come home in about three days," mom announced.

"What!"

"It's not that long sweety."

"Well, why don't you stay," I said, stubbornly.

Mom sighed, "Gerard, would you please stay with him for a while. Your father and I have calls to make, and papers to fill out. We'll be in the cafeteria if you need us."

"Sure, mom," Gee smiled.

"Thank you," together they left.

"Hows your tail bone," he asked.

"Are you serious," I exclaimed.

"Sorry."

A knock came at the door.

"Hello," said a nurse, "My name's Cera. The doctor told me to give you your painkillers."

"Okay."

Cera handed me a medicine cup full of pills, and a glass of water. Taking them she left, and Gerard sat in a chair and held my hand.