Ways to Love Your Brother

Home

"Mikey," called Alicia from the kitchen.

"Yes?" I replied.

"Can you come here?"

"Why?"

"Big bug."

A small smile formed on my fase as I let a sigh escape my lips. Standing up, I picked up my son, Jordan, and set him down in his crib before attending to my wife's needs.

Yes, I said wife. I met Alicia Simmons about two years after I left Gerard, and what can I say? We clicked, and I fell in love.

A few years later, we foind ourselves married and expecting out little boy, Jordan. He had Alicia's hair and mouth, but he has my otherfacial features and my body build.

In the kitchen, I found Alicia on one side, and a preying mantice on the other.

"Is that it," I asked.

"Yes! Look at it! It's huge!"

Walking over to the preying mantice, I gently picked it up and walked over to the window. Opening the screen, I tossed the bug out of my hand and watched as it flew away.

"There," I commented. closing the screen on the window, "All better."

"My hero," she said with a smile on her face.

Going over to her, I placed my hands on her slender hips, and pulled her close to me. My lips found hers easily, and she gave me a thank you kiss.

But we were interrupted.

Sighing, I left Alicia, and her lips, and answered the phone.

"Hello," I asked.

"Mikey?"

"Gerard?"

My eyes widened and I almost dropped the phone. Why was he calling? What did he want?

"Mikey, Are you there?"

"Yeah, yeah, I'm here."

"How are you?"

"I'm good."

"That's good."

"How are you?"

"I'm okay."

I gave a nod, and a long silence fell over us.

"Is there a reason why you called?"

There was a sigh on his end of the phone. I could tell this was slightly difficult.

"I was wondering in you wanted, or at least have thought about starting the band again."

"Y-Yeah. I've thought about it."

"Really?"

His voice sounded excited, like he was hoping I answered that way.

"Yeah, really, why?"

"Well, I've already called up Bob, Toro, and Frank, and they said they would love to give My Chemical Romance another go."

"Do you all have a time you want us to meet?"

"Well, you can fly out whenever's best for you. We haven't left New Jersey, and Bob moved out here now, so...."

"I'll call you when I can find tickets."

A long laps of silence fell over us.

"So, how's mom and dad?"

"They're good. Just a little upset that their youngest son no longer comes home for Christmas ever since he moved, but yeah, other than that, they're just fine."

"Thanks for the guilt trip."

"Any time."

"So yeah, I've got to go, I'll call you when I find tickets."

"Yea, sure."

"Alright, bye."

"Bye."

Hanging up, I placed the phone back on it's charger. I really did have to go, Jordan was beginning to cry, and Alicia was making dinner.

"Who was it?"

"My brother."

Putting a pot down on the stove, she turned to me.

"You never said anyhting about having a brother."

"Yeah, I don't like talking about him that much."

"Why?"

"We got into a bad fight the last time we were together."

"I'm sorry. What did he want?"

"He wants us to come out. We had a band going for a long time, he wants to know if I wanted to join it again."

"And?"

"I told him yes."

"That's great honey!"

"I'm going to have to look up tickets on the internet. We'll have to find a way to keep Jordan occupied for the plane ride."

As soon as I said his name, Jordan started crying. Leaving the kitchen, I walked back to our living room where the play pen was, and as soon as I came within sight of, he stopped crying, and whimpered at me with his arms out stretched.

Picking him up, I help him softly to my chest, where his little fists curled around my shirt, and he baried his tiny face into my chest.

Just holding his fragile body made me smile. I was a father. Something that I thought I would never say. I knew I've always wanted children at one point, but when I was withGerard him, I knew he most likely would never want one.

Whem at last Jordan felt safe in my arms, he lifted his big round chocolate brown eyes, my eyes, and smiled up at me. His chubby cheeks srunched up, his small toothy grin showing.

Smiling back with a small laugh, I lowered my head touching my nose to his, and cooed to him softly. Pulling away, I softly made little noises to him, lightly bouncing him up and down while I swayed back and forth.

"You're really good at that."

Looking over my shoulder, I saw Alicia standing in the dorrway, leaning against the frame.

"You really think so?" I asked, the small smile on my face growing bigger.

"Oh yeah. He really loves you."

"Does he?"

Coming over to me, she wrapped her arm around my waist and rested her head on my shoulder, looking down at our son.

Jordan have a yawn, his large eyes drooping.

"I'll take him," she said.

"I'll finish dinner."

Passing Jordan over to Alicia, I removed the apron that was around her waist. Pressing my lips to her cheek, I left her and Jordan to go to the kitchen.

It took her about five minutes to get Jordan to sleep, and then she came into the kitchen to see how I was doing.

"So, what kind of band did you have," she asked, as she set the table.

"We had a rock band."

I took the food out, and we started eating.

"Do you have any cds?"

"I don't, no."

"So, did you make a lot of cds?"

"When we were together we had three cds. We were working on our fourth when I left."

"What did you do?"

I played the bass?"

"Were you big?"

I didn't answer right away, but before she got impatient, I said, "Define big."

"You were huge weren't you."

Giving a sigh, I surrendered. "Yeah, we were."

"Can I guess who you were?"

"Go ahead."

"Good Charlotte?"

"Do I look like a Madden to you?"

"No, sorry."

"It's okay." I said with a laugh, "Another?"

"I don't know what they look like or their names, but.... Madina Lake?"

"I think they're coming to the Auditorium. You think it's too late to by tickets?"

"Okay.... The Used."

"Played with them on tours. Great guys."

"How many people are in your group?"

"Five."

"Astatic Lullaby?"

"Bigger."

"No."

I twitched my eyebrow, she figured it out.

"No. No way."

A smile spread across her face as she jumped a little in her chair.

"You're Gerard Way's brother?"

"The one and only."

"Oh my God! My Chemical Romance saved my life!"

I smiled, and Alicia leaned back into her chair, a shocked look on her face.

"I'm sorry," she said after a while, "I'm sorry. It's just.... I can't believe I'm married to the bassist of MCR."

"Is it really all that," I asked.

Looking at me from across the table, her eyes watered as she answered, "It really is."

Setting down my silverwear, I stood and went over to her.

"I'm sorry, Alicia," I said, "I didn't know not telling you wase a bit thing."

Tears leaked down her face.

"It is," she replied.

Reaching up, I wiped away the tears that were on her cheeks.

"Would you like to meet my family?"

She smiled, then nodded.

"Then off to New Jersey it is."

*_*Two months later*_*

After knocking on my parents door, I wrapped ym arm around Alicia's waist, while she held Jordan in her arms.

The door opened, and my mother gave a wild scream and lept out of the house and wrapped her arms around me, hugging me tight.

"Oh, Mikey, my Mikey, you're here," she said, I could hear the happiness and tears in her voice.

"It's nice to see you too mom," I said hugging her back.

Letting go of me, she pressed kisses on my cheeks, and finally noticed Alicia and Jordan.

"Whos' this?"

"Mom," I said, pulling Alicia to me, "I would like you to meet Alicia an Jordan."

I didn't say that she was my wife, I would make that announcement later.

"Well, come on in," mom exclaimed, "Everyone is here."

Walking into the livig room, we found my father along with Linda Iero, Mr and Mrs Ottis, Matt Pilisser and his parents, Brian Schecter, Ray, Bob, Frank, Jamia, and Miss, Travis - who was with some guy- and Gerard.

They all had their attention turned to the t.v. when we came in. A football game was on, something I never expected to be playing, and one of the teams players had the ball, running to the end zone, everyone was on the edge of their seats.

When the player cleared the end zone, everone cheered loudly.

"Well, why didn't you do this when we came in," I asked loudly enough for everyone to hear.

Everyone turned and instantly, their eyes widened with shock. I smiled and slowly made my way around the room, hugging and kissing everyone, minus Gerard.

Going back to Alicia and Jordan, I wrapped my arm around her waist.

"Everyone," I looked around the room, making sure I had everyone's attention, "I want you to mee Alicia and Jordan, my wife and son."

All of the eyes in the room literally popped, except little Missy's.

Turning to Alicia, I said, "Alicia, I want you to meet Matt Pilisser and his parents. Travis, and I'm guessing your boyfriend?" Trav nodded, "Then our manager Briand Schecter, Ray Toro and his family, Linda Iero and her son Frank. Frank's wife Jamia, and their daughter Missy. Bob Bryar, my parents Donna and Donald, and my older brother Gerard."

"Hello," she said timmidly.

"It's so nice to meet you," my mom said, "Why didn't you send out invitations?" this last part was directed at me.

"We didn't want it to be huge," I replied.

"And you didn't call?"

"Slipped my mind."

"Mikey, didn't meet my parents until after I was pregnant," Alicia said, "That had this same reaction."

Mom smiled, and eventually, we all settled in, Alicia whent around the room and re-entroduced herself, while I introduced Jordan to Missy, who was now three years older than him.

The entire night was spent geting caught up with everyone again, but I didn't see much of Gerard, who stood off to the side and watched me and Alicia.

When everyone started growing tired, they started to hed home. The three of us were staying here and so was Gerard.

That night, as we set everything up, I took a moment to talk to my brother.

"What's up Gerard?"

"Nothing much."

"Dada," called a tiny voice.

I felt a body wrap around my leg, almost knocking me down.

"Hey, J-man," I said, picking up my son, "Did you have fun playing with Missy?"

He nodded 'yes'.

"You did?"

"Yeah," he said softly.

"Did you meet your uncle Gerard?"

Once Jordan saw that we weren't alone, he bacame very shy.

"This is my brother, Gerard. Can you tell him 'hi'?"

"Hi," he whispered, waving at Gee.

"Can you give him a hug?"

To this, he shook his head and hugged me instead.

"No," I laughed, "We'll have to work on that."

Telling Gerard I'd be right back, I went and put Jordan to bed, and said goodnight to Alicia, who was turning in early.

Finding Gerard in our living room, I sat across from him on the couch.

"It's great seeing you again, Gerard."

"Same here."

"I really hope what happened last time doesn't effect this anything."

"Not a chance."

"What's wrong?"

"Nothing."

"Gerard, we both know I know you better than anyone. Now what's wrong?"

He gave a sigh.

"It's just seeing you and Alicia. It makes me remember how happy you were with me. And, seeing Jordan.... Makes me think that he could have been our boy."

He turned to look at me, his face pained.

"I love you, Mikey."

"I love you too, Gerard."

"I know you do."

"So, you don't like Alicia?"

"No. I just wish it were me. I'm happy for you, bro. You have a beautiful wife and son. You did good."

I have a smile and was about to say something, but was cut short.

"It was nice talking to you, Mikey," Gee said, standing up, "But I'm going to bed. I'll see you in the morning."

"Goodnight, Gerard."

Then, we did something I thought we'd never do again.

We stood up, embraced each other, and shared a small, passionless, goodnight kiss.