Gladiator

Where The Dragons Fight To The Death

Image

I could not take my eyes from Pirro’s. Even from the distance of a mile I could still see his every detail.

But our moment, our reunion, could not continue forever.

“And now for the rules!”

Together as one both Pirro and I looked up at the announcer.

“There will be two rounds. The first is a fight in their human form. If both creatures can survive this round they will go on to round two and fight in their dragon forms.”

The announcer paused for dramatic effect, “The rules for this battle are that the Dragon Gladiators must fight to the death. Only one will win their freedom so only one will survive.”

Another dramatic pause, then he screamed into the amplifier, “Now let the Dragon Battles begin!”

As the crowd roared in excitement I couldn’t force myself to move. I watched a play of emotions role across Pirro’s expression. First there was shock, then pain, then denial.

It felt like time had stopped as we stared at eachother from across the arena.

But apparently time had not stopped because I suddenly felt a searing pain spread across my back. Closing my eyes I tried not to cry out, but a small whimper spilled from my lips. Taking deep breaths I calmed myself and opened my eyes, a small tear rolling down my cheek.

My owner had torn a piece of my parchment and I’m guessing that piece used to be right in the middle.

I looked over at Pirro, trying to hide my pain, but he saw right threw me. Anger soon contorted his face and he gave a fierce battle cry.

He knew my parchment had been torn and now he was pissed.

When his cry ended he started to run toward me.

I sighed; he must know that if we don’t fight my owner will continue to tear my parchment until I collapsed from exhaustion.

Gathering my strength and ignoring the pain in my back I ran toward him as well, lifting my sword high over my head.

In the middle of the arena our swords met, clashing and clanging so loud it forced the audience to go silent.

“I don’t want to do this!” Pirro growled as he swung his sword against mine.

I countered his attack, “You have to. We have to. It’s the only way to ensure that at least one of us gets our freedom back.”

For an hour we fought. Each of us trying to be as gentle as we could with our hits without upsetting the humans who watched us.

As we were nose to nose with our swords crossed between us a loud horn sounded throughout the arena.

“This concludes the end of round one!”

As the announcer talked about our fight Pirro and I stepped away from each other.

Once we were a safe distance away I took stock of my injuries. Aside from the parchment tear along my back I had gashes and lesions all over my bodiy.

My armor was chipped and bent, some corners missing from the force of Pirro’s hits.

But that doesn’t mean I got the worst of it. I know Pirro is in just as bad of shape as I am.

“In the next round each dragon will be in their beast form. They are allowed to use their naturally powers. This round will take as long as it is necessary for one of the dragons to be defeated. Begin!”

I forced my body to change its form. I allowed my magic to spread through me so fast that one minute I’m human, the next I’m dragon.

I looked over to see Pirro’s dragon from staring at me, his black scales glistening while he waited for me to start this round.

Letting out a loud roar I flapped my large white wings and reared on my back legs. From that position I immediately launched into the air, ignoring the sound of my broken armor and sword falling to the ground.

Pirro did the same, roaring and laughing into the air. We met in the middle of the arena once more, our teeth and claws slashing through the other’s scales.

Using my leg muscles I pushed away from Pirro and flew to the barrels of water that sat by my entrance gate.

With my natural magic I gathered the water into the air and shot the liquid toward Pirro, hardening the liquid into crystal just as it surrounded his body.

I watched him struggle inside the crystal case his air supply running out with every move he made.

But just when I thought it was all over Pirro broke through my crystal with a perfectly aimed electri shot. Once he was out of the case he quickly flew to me and sent a ton of lightning bolts to crash through my body.

The electricity temporarily paralyzed me, clenching my muscle until none of them worked and I fell to the ground.

I landed on my side, my wing snapping under my body. When I felt y bones break, tendons tear, and flesh rip I roared out my pain.

I watched as Pirro landed beside me, concern in his eyes.

I’m so sorry. I never wanted this to happen.

I closed my eyes when Pirro’s voice echoed through my mind.

It’s alright. Just finish it.

Pirro stepped back, No! I can’t do this. Not to you.

I growled at him, You have to! Forget who I am! Only think of me as the one between you and freedom!

He shook his dark dragon head, I can’t.

I watched the sky above him darken, his mood forming the wheather.

I looked back into his eyes, You have to.

I could see he was about to argue when more pain exploded through my body. My King was tearing my parchment to shreds because I wouldn’t get up.

Because I have chosen to give up my freedom for my love’s.

I roared out again as my scales and flesh ripped open from my torn parchment.

Pirro roared with me, but this time in anger. He knew I was in agony and he also knew there was only one way to stop my pain.

I’m so sorry, my love. I will pray that we meet again in another life, in one where we can finally live together as mates were meant to be.

I focused on the sound of his voice, on his love for me and my love for him, as he walked closer.

For a second, just a short amount of time he rubbed his head against mine, the dragon form of a kiss, before he sank his sharp teeth into my throat.