I Want to Be the Prettiest Wreck You've Ever Seen

Chapter Twelve: What Rules?

I looked at the person holding the door open to see Kellan staring, wide-eyed.

“Oh-sorry.” He smirked and quickly shut the door. I rolled my eyes. Great-start that rumor.Jackson just chuckled, kissed my palm again and led me out of the small room. Kellan was no where in sight. Probably off telling everyone he walked in on me and Jackson.

“Library?” Jackson asked, leading me in that direction.

“No-I wanna go to the music room.” I said, changing direction. He shrugged and followed me, smiling happily. “Unless you wanna go to the library.” I amended.

“I’m happy going where ever you want.” He said. I felt my face get red and he just chuckled, slipping his arm around my waist.

“I love when you do that.” He said.

“That’s what she said.” A voice said in my ear. I jumped and turned to see Kellan. I pushed him hard in the chest and he just laughed.

“So I see you two are speaking again.” He said, smirking.

“Yup.” Jackson said happily.

“That’s good.” He said, obviously hinting at something. I nudged Jackson into the music room.

“Later, Kellan.” I said.

“And this one time, at band camp-“ Kellan said as I shut the door in his face.

“He’s such a tool.” I muttered. A few notes played softly on the large piano behind me. I turned to see Jackson sitting at the bench. I sat next to him as he played a few more notes. He looked up at me.

“Do you play?” He asked. I chuckled.

“One song.” I said. He gestured to the keys and I started playing Ode To Joy, feeling him watching me. I finished playing and looked at him.

“Your turn.” I smiled. He stood up and walked away from me. I pouted at him but he just chuckled as he picked up an acoustic guitar and sat across from me. He looked down at the guitar as he placed his fingers correctly and then looked back at me. He started playing and I recognized it as the song from that day on the bleachers. He took a deep breath and started to sing.


If it’s not those cowboy boots in the summer
Oh my God I pray for another
Chance to drive down back highways
Til I stumbled upon your beautiful face
Your presence isn’t what kills me
It’s that artistic gleam
That’s taking over my scenery
Dream by dream

You might think I’m incapable
Of loving a soul like yours
You might think I’m a fool
For you

Girl you got style
That’s what I love about you
The way you still back and watch this grow
You got dreams
And therefore I believe in you
All the small town people with their big remarks
They ain’t got jack to say about my movie star
She’s got style

If it’s not the fact that I’m a wee bit younger
Or the truth that I’m so naive
My heart keeps leaping back you
Like a dog tied to a tree
It’s ridiculous to me
But without you by my side, girl

You might think I’m incapable
Of loving a soul like yours
You might think I’m a fool
For you

Girl you got style
That’s what I love about you
The way you still back and watch this grow
You got dreams
And therefore I believe in you
All the small town people with their big remarks
They ain’t got jack to say about my movie star

What are the odds of finding someone just like you
Tell me why I never wanted to go back home
I’m still falling for you today


He finished singing the last line without music, watching me. I smiled big and started clapping. He grinned and his cell phone started to ring. He let out a sigh before answering it. He spoke for a second before hanging up and looking at me sadly.

“I have to go.” He said. I smiled.

“Alright. I’ll see you later, right?” I asked. He hugged me tight.

“Of course.”

“I loved the song, by the way.” I said, still hugging him.

Your song.” He whispered in my ear before letting go and leaving me standing there. I was glad he left because my face had turned tomato red.

I stayed in the room for a few minutes longer, replaying the song in my head. I smiled at the last line he sang: I’m still falling for you today. My heart fluttered and I blew out a sigh before standing up to leave. I was walking towards the cafeteria when I heard two voices around the corner in front of me that made me stop.

“Dude, you know I love Maggie, and I’m all for you two getting together, but don’t you think it’s a bit soon?” Kellan was saying.

“What are you talking about?” I heard Jackson ask and he was sounding frustratingly confused.

“You just broke up with someone you had been with for two years. You can’t just rush into another relationship just a few days later, even if the girl is meant for you. That makes you a whore.” Kellan said, chuckling.

“So what you’re saying is that I can’t ask her out yet because of Cara?” Jackson asked slowly.

“Yeah, sorry, pal. It’s the rules.”

What rules?”

“The girls’ rules.” Kellan said obviously.

“Oh-whatever.” Jackson said. “How long do I have to wait?” I half smiled.

“I dunno-a month?” Kellan suggested. Jay let out a loud groan. “I didn’t say you couldn’t talk to her.” Kellan laughed.

“You don’t get it, Kell-“ Jackson started but I couldn’t hear the rest because my cell phone started buzzing in my pocket. I sighed and saw it was Justin calling. I walked away to answer it.

“Hello?” I greeted.

“Hey, Pegs!” He greeted happily. I frowned, not exactly thrilled with him. First he ditched me for some girl and then he can’t even be bothered to waste five minutes to call me on my birthday, and now he was back to calling me Peggy-he knows I hate that name.

“Hi,” I said.

“What’s up?” He asked, still chipper.

“Just going to get something to eat, you?” I replied.

“Just hanging out.” He said casually and I could hear a female voice in the background. I mentally sighed. Something’s never change.

“So I’m definitely coming to visit for Christmas. I told my mom no more projects-I had to come see my favorite boxing partner.” He said. I frowned.

“Well-“ I started.

“Hey, listen, Peg-I gotta go. I’ll talk to you soon.” He said before hanging up quickly. I contemplated throwing my phone but decided it wouldn’t do any good. Instead I leaned against a wall, sliding to the floor and closed my eyes, taking deep breaths. Someone sat next to me and I opened my eyes to see Taylor smiling at me. I leaned into him as his arm slid around my waist.

“Everything ok?” He asked, resting his chin on my head. I sighed.

“Justin just called me.” I said dully.

“You don’t sound too happy about it.” He noted.

“It’s just-“ I started, but stopped. “He’s so-“ I tried again. I couldn’t make my words sound right. “Ugh!” I said finally. He chuckled.

“Just take a deep breath.” He said. I did.

“He was supposed to come visit for my birthday.” I said.

“Right, no, I remember.” He said. “Then he ‘couldn’t.’” He said mockingly.

“Right. Well, he didn’t even call me on my birthday. And when he called me just now he like, didn’t even mention it.” I sighed. “And just other little things.” I said.

“Tell me.” He prompted.

“Well, he keeps calling me ‘Peggy,’ which-“

“You hate.” Taylor finished. I nodded.

“And every time I talk to him he calls me his boxing partner, like that’s all I am to him.” I sighed. “And when I tried to tell him I wasn’t so into it anymore he said he had to go and hung up on me.” I finished.

“He seems like a real loser.” Taylor said softly. I laughed.

“He is.” I admitted finally. “And sometimes he refers to himself in third person. God, it’s so annoying.” I said.

“Wow.” He laughed.

“And he thinks he’s like…the shit, best thing since sliced bread.” I said, rolling my eyes.

“You don’t agree?” Taylor asked.

“Nope. You guys are way better than he could ever hope to be.” I said honestly. I felt him grin.

“Really?”

“Really, really.” I said honestly. We sat quietly for a few minutes before my stomach growled.

“Come on, let’s get you some food.” He chuckled. He pulled me to my feet and we walked to the cafeteria, my arm linked in his. I got a chicken salad and we went over to where Ashley was sitting. I sat next to her and smiled. She blinked at me.

“You’re here.” She said in surprise.

“Yup-and I talked to Jackson-and I’m pretty sure we’re ok.” I said.

“What do you mean ‘pretty sure’?” Taylor asked.

“I heard Jackson and Kellan talking. And they were saying something about rules and Jackson and I weren’t allowed.” I said, confusing myself. “Anyways, Jackson seemed pretty…frustrated.” I said.

“I’m sure he’s fine.” Ash said, patting my arm. “On the other hand-I missed you!” She said excitedly. I laughed.

“I missed you, too.” I said.

I hung out with them for the rest of the day, everyone else but Kellan and Jackson were off set filming. I left a little early and drove home quickly.

I went into my room and sitting on my bed were the anniversary gifts from my dad to my mom that the judge had sent. I froze in the doorway, just staring at them. They weren’t there when I left this morning and I doubted Kevin would have put them there. I turned around and went back down stairs, sitting on the couch. I tucked my knees up to my chest and rested my forehead against my knees, taking deep breaths. Someone had broken into my house and was torturing me. I sat like that for a while before my phone rang in my pocket. I answered it without looking at the ID.

“Hello?” I answered, my voice shaking.

“Maggie-what’s wrong?” I heard Jackson’s perfect voice ask worriedly.

“Ugh-just…nothing.” I lied.

“Are you at Kevin’s?” He asked.

“Yeah.” I said, confused.

“I’ll be there in a few minutes.” He said.

“Jackson-“ I started but he had already hung up. I sighed and waited for him to get here. A few minutes later I heard him jog up the front steps and open the front door. He walked into the living room and saw me.

“Maggie-what happened?” He asked, sitting next to me and pulling me into his lap. I rested my head against his shoulder and sighed.

“Ok. My dad had gotten my mom something for their anniversary but never got to give it to her so the judge sent it to me with a bunch of other stuff. But I couldn’t open it so I stuffed it in a drawer. When I got home today it was sitting in the middle of my bed.” I said. He hugged me tight.

“Was it Kevin?” He asked. I shook my head.

“I doubt it-he knew how I felt when it came here.” I muttered.

“So someone broke into your house just to put the present back on your bed?” He asked slowly.

“That’s what it seems like.” I muttered.

“You don’t seem all that bothered by it.” He said.

“I am-I just…I wish it would all go away. I wish I could erase what happened to them.” I said. He rubbed my arm comfortingly.

“I know, honey.” I snuggled closer into his arms.

“Do you think you could open them for me so I can just be done with it?” I whispered. He kissed the side of my head.

“Anything for you.” He said. I stood up to go up to get it but he laced his fingers with mine and followed me up to my room. I smiled at him as I pushed open my door. I stayed back as he walked over to my bed. I sat on the large empty floor as he sat on my bed and looked at me.

“Just open them.” I said quietly. He nodded and opened the paper carefully. Inside was a velvet box. He popped it open and inside was a silver diamond bracelet with a ruby in the center. His eyes flickered to me and he offered me the box. I stretched out my hand and he handed me the box, brushing his fingers on mine. I stared at the bracelet, my eyes watering. I heard him opening the other one as I traced my finger over the cold, hard diamonds.

“They match.” He said softly. I looked at him and he handed me the second, larger box. Inside was a pair of dangly, diamond earrings with a ruby and the bottom of the line and a shaped diamond necklace coming to a V with a short line of diamonds and a ruby in the last spot. I felt the tears spill over and onto my face. There was no way my dad could have afforded this. The case was carefully taken out of my hands as Jackson sat next to me, pulling me to his firm body. He just let me cry into his chest, never telling me to get over, just comforting me.